Disable sharp corners?

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Neo
Engineer
Engineer

Disable sharp corners?

Post by Neo »

(I'm using TTDPatch version 2.6 alpha 0 r1790.)

Hey everybody,

I was wondering, is it possible to prevent trains from taking those sharp corners? I mean those that connect the horizontal and vertical pieces of track to make a 90 degree turn. I know I can prevent them in my tracks for the most part, but some segments (especially some simple junctions) still enable trains to take them. Is there a configuration option to prevent them altogether?

I have searched but have been unsuccessful so far, so thanks in advance for any help you can give me :)
Dave

Re: Disable sharp corners?

Post by Dave »

Use route restricted signalling to set a train to take a set route through a junction, rather than giving it a choice.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Neo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Neo »

Oh, thanks, I didn't think of that! It comes to my rescue again! :D
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Dave Worley wrote:Use route restricted signalling to set a train to take a set route through a junction, rather than giving it a choice.
Enlighten me, please!
What have I missed? I obviously haven't understood Uwe's signalling guide.

Could you post a small example?

Thanks.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sadly not a visual example, just at the minute.

Assume a train reaches a junction. To reach it's destination of the station, it has four options. Two of these would involve a 90 degree turn to reach the station. The other two wouldn't.

By succesfully combining criteria that is unique to the train (number of carriages, speed, type of cargo, etc) you can force the train to only use the two platforms that don't require a 90 degree turn to reach.

There are more efficient restrictive / programmable signals that do the job better, but like you am somewhat swamped with the whole affair. My signal knowledge isn't very deep.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

If you combine waypoints and restricted signals you can achieve the same affect without such massive restrictions as Dave suggests. Taking his scenario, if you put a waypoint before those two platforms (call it Waypoint A) that don't need a 90 degree bend and just set the other signals to "Station of current order is not Waypoint A".
If you get my drift.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Dave Worley wrote:Assume a train reaches a junction. To reach it's destination of the station, it has four options. Two of these would involve a 90 degree turn to reach the station. The other two wouldn't.

By succesfully combining criteria that is unique to the train (number of carriages, speed, type of cargo, etc) you can force the train to only use the two platforms that don't require a 90 degree turn to reach.
If it's a PBS junction, the criteria are quite simple; restrict each station-entrance signal such that only trains that would not have to make a 90 degree turn to use that platform can do so.

It is strongly recommended that you follow that by programming all the block-entrance signals (which were entrance presignals) with something that amounts to "always red", and allow PBS to take care of making the signals turn green only when an appropriate platform is available.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “General TTDPatch”