Im confused, what version are we On?

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

MegaStationMan
Engineer
Engineer

Im confused, what version are we On?

Post by MegaStationMan »

Im a bit confused. Ive been a way a while. The last patch version I use at home is 2.5Beta9, and I look at the website and all references on the front page talk about 2.0rev1, but the file says its 2.5. And then I see a 2.6 nightly discussion thread. Am I right in thinking 2.5 has been officially released? I cant see a release post in the forums.

Am I going mad?
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Im confused, what version are we On?

Post by Rob »

MegaStationMan wrote:Am I going mad?
I don't know about that :mrgreen: , but there has not been an official release of 2.5, yet.
There is the 1.6 alpha 0 going and going and going as a nightly build.
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
MegaStationMan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MegaStationMan »

Why are they working on 2.6 if 2.5 isnt finished yet?

So, the 2.5 on the front page - is that still 2.5B9? or should it be 2.0 rev1

Im all confused.
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

Get the latest nightly, it has much more features and it is usually stable as hell.(disclaimer: no guaranties)

The 2.0 version is just too old and therefore missing too much IMO.
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

hmmm ... verrrrrryyy interesting.
http://www.ttdpatch.net/ speaks of "TTDPatch 2.0 rev 1 Released".
However the download link says:
"Here's the latest patch:"
"TTDPatch Version 2.5"; "Apr 19 2007 12:23:45 GMT"; and "The latest stable TTDPatch version".
Clicking on the links does produce ttdpt20r1.zip for DOS and ttdpt20r1W.zip for Windows.

Clicking on "Source Code" in the column to the left produces a page that offers:
Current version: 2.5 beta 9 from October 29, 2006.
That date is somewhat earlier than Apr 19 2007.

Is it possible that something was updated in the 2.0 stable version but not in the 2.5 beta?

For those of us who are in the know, the nightlies are the way to go as they offer cutting edge features and actually are relatively stable. I have rarely had one crash. However, they are described as "nightly" and not as 2.6.

No wonder some people are confused. And I have to agree with ...
MegaStationMan wrote:Why are they working on 2.6 if 2.5 isnt finished yet?
Why? :?
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Just like how OpenTTD Developers still make developments its trunk builds, despite it working on 0.5.x release?

Its because there was a feature freeze on 2.5 (similar thing happened to OpenTTD, iirc), and a lot of new features people wanted to write had to be put somewhere!
Besides its worked out quite nicely, having quite a few bugs found and back ported fixed for them.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Commander238
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Commander238 »

Why don't we name the nigtlies 2.6 alpha 1,2,3 etc.? And I also don't like the missing version information of nightlies, which slow down starting of ttdpatch by asking if I know what I'm doing. :|
Commander
Dropzone
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Dropzone »

Commander238 wrote:And I also don't like the missing version information of nightlies, which slow down starting of ttdpatch by asking if I know what I'm doing. :|
Add "alwaysyes on" to your config file, and you won't have to answer that prompt every time you start the patch. The nightlies will still take longer to load (because of the missing version information) though.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Commander238 wrote:Why don't we name the nigtlies 2.6 alpha 1,2,3 etc.? And I also don't like the missing version information of nightlies, which slow down starting of ttdpatch by asking if I know what I'm doing. :|
Because we cannot have an 2.6 alpha 1/2/3 until we have a stable (final) 2.5 version out.
Also the nightlies have no version data, so its actually a disclaimer saying it may not work as intended because of this.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Commander238 wrote:Why don't we name the nigtlies 2.6 alpha 1,2,3 etc.? And I also don't like the missing version information of nightlies,
The only way you're going to get version information in the nightlies is if you donate licenses for all ten versions of TTD to ... TrueLight, I think.

Or if you build them yourself.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “General TTDPatch”