I'm leaving TTDPatch

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Kolbur
Engineer
Engineer

Re: I'm leaving TTDPatch

Post by Kolbur »

pantagram wrote:I am sad Csaboka is leaving, this does sound like TTDPatch is on it's way out. I tried OTTD a few months back and was unhappy with it. I will continue to play Patch until OTTD supports all newGRF. I can't play without SAC's "stolen" trees. :D

Maybe Csaboka can find a way to fully implement newGRF into OTTD, that would make me very happy.
Stolen Trees work perfectly fine with OTTD. You have to use the latest nightly, not 0.5.3
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Considering it is a simple ActionA structure, it should work with earlier versions of OpenTTD, iirc.
I know things like newIndustries require the OpenTTD nightlies though.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

pantagram wrote:I will continue to play Patch until OTTD supports all newGRF. I can't play without SAC's "stolen" trees. :D
Just looking at the "Screenshots" section of the forum will show that you've been able to load the trees in both games since the day they were "released".
steelixb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by steelixb »

The major differences between OTTD and TTDP are the only things that make me play both instead of one or the other. If OTTD had all features, including what it already has, and TTDP's features, I'd probably switch to OTTD. PBS, NewGRF and Enhanced Tunnels are the things at the top of the list of things I want in OTTD...

In OTTD I love the timetable feature, and with ChrisIN the timetable separation patch - it reduces the need for PBS, as you can perfectly time trains so they don't ever reach a red signal (shame real life isn't as simple). I also like the fact you can put tracks in different directions under a bridge, which I guess is an alternative to Enhanced Tunnels.
Well, what to put for my signature... hmm... ahh forget it!
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'm still waiting to see those in a comprehensive overall collection of patches at the moment. When are such features making it in to the OTTD trunk?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
kaan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by kaan »

Dave Worley wrote:I'm still waiting to see those in a comprehensive overall collection of patches at the moment. When are such features making it in to the OTTD trunk?
I don't know what patches you are referring to, but the usual answer to these questions is "when they are ready for trunk".

Anyway, you guys make it sound like there is an ongoing effort to copy all features in patch to open. There is no such thing so please keep enjoying patch :)

Code: Select all

if (YouAreHappyAndYouKnowIt) {
    ClapYourHands();
}
Dave

Post by Dave »

No no, I recognise that there isn't - that's my point. Because there isn't, I won't be making the switch.

Flickr

richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Last time I checked it was OpenTTD, not OpenTTDPatch. The two are different flavours, and although there is a strong overlap of features, OpenTTD does not and never has had the objective of doing everything that Patch does.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

richk67 wrote:[...] OpenTTD does not and never has had the objective of doing everything that Patch does.
Just out of interest, what do you think are the features OTTD won´t take over from TTDPatch?

regards
Michael
Dave

Post by Dave »

richk67 wrote:Last time I checked it was OpenTTD, not OpenTTDPatch. The two are different flavours, and although there is a strong overlap of features, OpenTTD does not and never has had the objective of doing everything that Patch does.
I'd like to think with Csaba making the switch that a lot of Patch features will be integrated.

It's at times like this where you would really like a merger of two projects. I love features in the patch that are supposedly not good enough for OTTD, and I like OTTD features that wouldn't work in Patch.

Oh.. And for what is the third time - I'm merely pointing out that if that doesn't happen, I won't be making the switch. I don't want people to comment about whether it will happen or not, I'm just being a narcissistic b****** and putting my own view forward. Everyone else does.

Flickr

richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

michael blunck wrote:Just out of interest, what do you think are the features OTTD won´t take over from TTDPatch?
regards
Michael
Its more a style thing. Patch tends to have an option switch for everything; OTTD tends to decide that some features are permanent additions.

PBS is unlikely to come across in its Patch incarnation IMO. There has been a longstanding OTTD group looking at different signalling schemes; eg. Just-in-time-Green. The different schemes may make old PBS redundant. OTOH, it might be implemented based on the old patch (unlikely, but you never know)... and then rewritten for an improved signalling scheme.

Although the "missing" Patch features are getting less all the time, I really think it is wrong to think of OTTD as Open Patch. They are related but OTTD is most definitely not "son of" Patch. Thats all I was getting at.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

I think that if or when the patch manages to re-write the map-array, it will give it a new life. All the things like larger maps will be made easier. There also aren't that many extra features, other than improving and expanding existing ones, that TTD needs. I do, however think, that somebody who has access (Owen does, i think) should release a stable once a concensus among the devs is reached to put an end to newbies downloading much out-of-date copies of the Patch.

EDIT: the last time patchman posted was april this year and the last time he posted in the 2.5 beta development thread was October 30 last year..........
Posted by Pookey...

For Information on TTD Patch Click Here
For Information on Building a Network (FAST) Click Here
For Information on Building a Network as a Challenge (SLOW) Click Here
For Help on the Different Signalling Types Click Here
Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Pookey wrote:EDIT: the last time patchman posted was april this year and the last time he posted in the 2.5 beta development thread was October 30 last year..........
For what it's worth, he pops his head in on IRC occasionally, same as myself, and a lot of other missing regulars. If you want to find someone, easier for them to be on IRC than logging in to tt-forums.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka »

Pookey wrote:I think that if or when the patch manages to re-write the map-array, it will give it a new life.
Doing that is almost equal to rewriting all TTD, it would need so many patches. And someone "rewrote" TTD already - it's the OpenTTD project.

And by the way, OTTD hasn't "rewritten the map array", either. The layout of the map data is almost the same as in unpatched TTD and TTDPatch, there are just more tiles. Switching to a different map data format isn't an easy task, even if you have access to the source code and don't have to patch each appearance during loading.
Pookey wrote:I do, however think, that somebody who has access (Owen does, i think) should release a stable once a concensus among the devs is reached to put an end to newbies downloading much out-of-date copies of the Patch.
I don't think ttdpatch.net is hosted by Zernebok, so Owen doesn't have access to it. If we want a new stable, we need Josef to upload it himself.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.—Philip K. Dick
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Guys, before leaving you could give us last stable release
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:Guys, before leaving you could give us last stable release
How about we phrase that as a polite question, rather than a demand?

"Hey guys, before you all pack up and leave, could you please release a final stable version?"
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

this was polite, I didn't write "Guys, release stable now!", only "Guys, you could release stable, before leaving."
Geez
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

The words "Please" and "Thank you" work wonders.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

And if you read the previous posts, you would have realised that Patchman is the only one who can release the stable, and seeing as he's a little busy at the moment, it may take a while...
Posted by Pookey...

For Information on TTD Patch Click Here
For Information on Building a Network (FAST) Click Here
For Information on Building a Network as a Challenge (SLOW) Click Here
For Help on the Different Signalling Types Click Here
Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

Skiper410
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Skiper410 »

Here is just one lambda player's experience and opinion I have on TTDPatch.

I'm somehow sad that TTDPatch dies. It's true TTDPatch since the last beta went into a slow agony without me understanding. I don't know why but I always tended to prefer TTDPatch to OpenTTD for some reason even now.

I started with TTDPatch, OpenTTD was only at the 0.4.0 releases. And all my faith was in TTDPatch. The possibilities were such wide.

But now, the patch's limits seem to have been reached, right? Coding problems, and all that bad stuff make it really difficult I suppose. However, I don't know why I would still like to believe in TTDPatch : it is the real and original TTD game with more possibilities. It is the complete game, an intro, the raw music, the raw rendering, everything from the original one, the finished game who already seemed to have reached its boundaries.

OpenTTD is really great too, but it is kinda of different to me. It develloped so much, but it also seems to have some less possibilites. It does not jave so many tools that are adapted for like it was for TTDPatch (TTDXC, Graphic Manager, GRF Wizard, etc...). And auto updates were never made unlike TTDXC did. Welll, we have the OpenTTD console...but it isn't the same.

As you can see, I was simply axed on TTDPatch until Beta 9 stayed too long.

There are things that made TTDPatch really unique and this is why I would have liked to keep on with TTDPatch.

Anyway...on our french community, I tried very hard to make the installation much more easier, by creating an installer, including pre-set parameter, registry keys, and tools. It was very effective and contributed so much and the french version was for a very long time very popular (I however never managed to distribute an english version). TTDPathc was not that difficult with a clear manual too, which I did in french too. This was a long time ago. But TTDPatch was slowing down, and OpenTTD took place. TTDPatch is left behind...sad.

If I say al this to you, it is just to show you in some way, that maybe, if the code and debuggers allow it, could still have a future. The only distance, it has from OpenTTD is concerning the functonnalities. I would still like to believe in TTDPatch...until it is officially dead.

I would at least say, try to do a final release, and then see if it is really impossible to continue or if there is no way of making it livable again. It lived until now...it is really sad that such an old project like this dies.

Finally, I'd like to say I had wonderful moments with TTDPatch since so many years. :D

Thank you.

EDIT : Darn...i think I've just uped a post dated from a long time...sorry for the inconvenience.

Return to “General TTDPatch”