PBS-Question

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Carlo Ghega
Engineer
Engineer

PBS-Question

Post by Carlo Ghega »

Really trying to get along with PBS, read the manual as well as the signalling-guide, but am still not there. Confess that this is an experimantel game with the max of 32 cargos and a lot of grf's enabled, but I get this problem in nearly every game at one time. Routing-restrictions are enabled but not in use at any signal on Tours station.

Please help: Why is my train not entering the station?

(Already tried to destroy and rebuild rails and signal, with no change for the better on the long hand.)

Thank you very much for your efforts,

best regards

CG

(newgrf.cfg will be send on, if needed)
Attachments
ttdpatch.cfg
(37.58 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
TRT39.SV1
(237.83 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
SCR6b.PNG
SCR6b.PNG (108.98 KiB) Viewed 7491 times
E pur si muove!
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

I don't know why they don't get to the station, but I forced the first train through the signal, and now they all happily go on their merry way.
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Carlo Ghega
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Carlo Ghega »

Thank you for your fast answer!

Forcing them through, is also what I do, of course. Is going good for a short while, then the problem occures again - in the majorrity with the same train (Nr.7 in this case): Probably not the next time it passes, but usually very soon. Exchanging it with a new train doesn't change anything.

If it would only occure every 40 game-years it wouldn't bother me, but sadly this happens much more often.

All the more: Thank you for taking care,

best regards,

CG
E pur si muove!
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Could be that a train which reserves the track in the tunnel when entering from the right into the station, but then reverses back out toward the right does not "unreserve" the track in the tunnel.

There is a bug like this with bridges, maybe it's the same with tunnels?
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Carlo Ghega
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Carlo Ghega »

Thanks for your interest, Irish!

Sounded really like a hopefully idea. I put a free rail-tile inbetween station, tunnel and signal: And indeed, the train enterded the station. Unfortunately, some soon time later, I endet up llike seen below (and known before).

Thx, nevertheless!

Best regards,

CG
Attachments
SCR9b.png
SCR9b.png (110.81 KiB) Viewed 7445 times
E pur si muove!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

I think you need an entry signal going into that junction.
Carlo Ghega
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Carlo Ghega »

Hi Wallyweb, thanks for trying to help!

Same thing like with the tiles: Get's the waiting train going, but ends in the same situation a little later.

Best regards,

CG
Attachments
SCR10b.PNG
SCR10b.PNG (112.66 KiB) Viewed 7423 times
E pur si muove!
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

Hmm, I think you found a bug in PBS.

I changed your difficulty setting "reverse at end of line and at stations" into "reverse at end of line only", and now the trains seem to go through like they are supposed to.
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

Is that another Beta bug?
Posted by Pookey...

For Information on TTD Patch Click Here
For Information on Building a Network (FAST) Click Here
For Information on Building a Network as a Challenge (SLOW) Click Here
For Help on the Different Signalling Types Click Here
Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

Carlo Ghega
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Carlo Ghega »

Rob wrote:Hmm, I think you found a bug in PBS.

Do you think there is a chance to getting this fixed (whilst being very patient)? Should this thread be moved to the problem-section then? Or would this be somehow dispensable anyway?
Pookey wrote: Is that another Beta bug?
This is a nightly-game, but I had this problem too in 2,5 beta 8 and beta 9, a savegame can be posted if wanted.

Thank you once again for your efforts,

best regards,

CG
E pur si muove!
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

Yes definitely report it in the 2.5 Beta discussion, especially if it is a Beta 9 bug. We don't want to have to have a revision released like last time. :)
Posted by Pookey...

For Information on TTD Patch Click Here
For Information on Building a Network (FAST) Click Here
For Information on Building a Network as a Challenge (SLOW) Click Here
For Help on the Different Signalling Types Click Here
Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

Indeed, always report these kind of things as bugs.

Btw, did changing that difficulty setting work for you too Carlo Ghega ?
Still the best OS around
Carlo Ghega
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Carlo Ghega »

Rob wrote:Indeed, always report these kind of things as bugs.
Will do so now.
Rob wrote: Btw, did changing that difficulty setting work for you too Carlo Ghega ?
Yep - absolutely seems like you are right!

Best regards,

CG
E pur si muove!
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

you nly needed to post iut in the beta thread as all the beta fixes get merged into the alpha/nightlys
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Carlo Ghega
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Carlo Ghega »

Sorry for that - hadn't got that. :(
Thought it would be helpful to provide a certain report and savegame for each version of ttdp - not ment harsh in any way.

Apologies

CG
E pur si muove!
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

It is, as roboboy said, not usually necessary to report a bug for both 2.5 and 2.6. However, too much information is almost always better than too little. Also, if you report it for 2.6 and then discover it also exists in 2.5, it's a very good idea to mention that, just in case whoever is fixing it doesn't notice.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Carlo Ghega
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Carlo Ghega »

Thank you for taking time and pointing that out.

Best regards,

Carlo
E pur si muove!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: PBS-Question

Post by wallyweb »

This is a question not related to the above problem other than it is PBS and it is a question. I don't think it's a bug unless somebody tells me otherwise.
In the attached png:
I would like to set up PBS signaling within the yellow loop.
However, all the combinations that I tried result in the signal in the red circle being deemed unsafe causing the train on that platform to become "stopped" when it tries to exit.
I've tried using pre-signals and combo signals and just about everything else available under the PBS banner.
Am I missing something here, or is PBS just plain impossible in this situation?
unsafe_signal.png
unsafe_signal.png (91.7 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

I don't know for sure and the semaphores are almost unknown to me, so it's difficult to see what you have there, is every signal leading into the block a PBS signal? Is every signal leading out of the block a PBS exit signal?

For no rational reason at all, I would begin with removing the two signals marked with a red X (it's just a feeling, no facts involved).

Wait a minute, is that a waypoint right outside the depot? But that is out of the PBS block...
And then there's a waypoint just outside the block on the down-right line...
I would experiment without the waypoints, I think.
Example46.png
Example46.png (84.85 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

AndersI wrote:I don't know for sure and the semaphores are almost unknown to me, so it's difficult to see what you have there, is every signal leading into the block a PBS signal? Is every signal leading out of the block a PBS exit signal?
All entry signals into that block should be PBS. The exit signals are not PBS as there is no need for path reservations beyond them.
For no rational reason at all, I would begin with removing the two signals marked with a red X (it's just a feeling, no facts involved).
The two signals you marked are necessary as they control access to a rail yard and prevent trains from going the wrong way.
Wait a minute, is that a waypoint right outside the depot? But that is out of the PBS block...
And then there's a waypoint just outside the block on the down-right line...
I would experiment without the waypoints, I think.
Those waypoints are outside the PBS block and should have no effect on events within the block.

Thanks AndersI. Your comments helped me to think this through and I have resolved the problem as follows:
1. The train does not go to "stopped" until it tries to reverse.
2. In my patch cfg, I changed the pathbasedsignalling.allowunsafereverse setting to on.
3. Now it works as expected. The train even waits until it finds a clear path to its next order.

So now the questions are:
1. Why would that platform be considered as unsafe for reversing?
2. Is this a bug or is it intended?
3. What could possibly go wrong now that I have changed the setting? ("Crash" is too simple and not an acceptable answer. Details, please.)

Return to “General TTDPatch”