Routing restriction discussion

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Uwe wrote:Ok, thanks to you guys, I understood it now :) I don't know yet what examples will be in, so if anyone has some really clever restriction for a certain task, post it somewhere and maybe it'll get included at some point.
If you haven't already gotten it down already, I'd suggest writing something about using route-restrictions for filtering high and low speed traffic on big trunk lines.

Similar for filtering high-powered engines on steeper routes, and lower powered engines for that long-as-heck-snaking-route-around-the-mountains.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

Alright, I finally got round to start writing a guide on routing restrictions. A work-in-progress version can be found at http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~dou/ttdx/alpha.html. It is nowhere near finished, though. I won't be able to continue working on it over the Christmas days, so I'd doubt there will be further updates this year. Could a patchdev (JGR?) please confirm that the information given in the guide so far is correct?
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

-->Uwe

I must say that your guide is very good.
I can only spot one minor error:
These are the valid NW signals. For the diagonal rails (leftmost one and second from right), they face towards the left (west), for horizontal tracks they are the ones for the upper (north) track facing east, for the vertical tracks it's the one on the lefthand (west) track facing upwards (north).
It should say west.

Thanks for your contribution.

JGR
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

I was finaly able to spot a bug which I had the feeling it is there but somehow never captured.
In below screen, the signal leading into the tunnel, for which train 58 has reserved the track has the restrictation:

Order of current station is not Sundwood
or
Order of next station is not Sundwood

As you can see, the current order is Sundwood, but somehow it still reserves the track to that signal, where as the correct route should be down the electrified line running in parallel trough a signal without restrictions.

Savegame and config attached. running on r1380
Attachments
ttdpatch.cfg
(3.61 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
TRP61.SV1
(803.94 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
Restricted Signal problem.png
Restricted Signal problem.png (71.87 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Scautura
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Scautura »

That's because boolean logic dictates that statement will be true...

The station of current order is Sundwood, and hence that part is false.
The station of next order is Bristol Victoria, that part is true (not Sundwood == true)

As far as I read it, that should mean it's a valid option for the train to choose.

Try using "And" instead of "Or", and that should solve the problem (in this case, at least)
Edit: After a little testing (10 minutes running the scenario) it seems to work fine.

Perhaps a new restriction would help as well? Adding one for electrification, so as to prevent electrified trains trying to go down non electrified routes?

Scautura
Duct tape is like the Force - it has a Dark side, a Light side, and it holds the universe together.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

That is really something the pathfinder should deal with automatically, but being able to test total HP of all non-electric engines could be useful.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
phantom25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by phantom25 »

Reading this post, I have a suggestion.

I see that current boolean logic possible is:

and
or
xor (exclusive or)

Isn't "not" also an boolean operator?

Just a thought, is it much effort to introduce?
So to be able to set additional criteria modifier i.e. not electrified?
That is still not all ...
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Just reverse the test of the item you want to negate. (eg, test "<= 100" instead of ">100", or "is red" instead of "is green".)
And "electrified rail"/"not electrified rail" is not an interesting test. The test is attached to the signal, not the train, so you'd just be testing a constant.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
phantom25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by phantom25 »

OK, thanks for that clarification.

Now understood...
That is still not all ...
Scautura
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Scautura »

How about "Powertrain"? (Or however you'd like to phrase it) e.g. "is not electric" to prevent an electric train going down the wrong alley and getting stuck on a non-electrified track?

Oh poo... Now I'm repeating myself... As you replied, I could cover that as "Total HP of non-electric trains is 0" :)

Scautura (Now I just have to learn ASM and "make it so" :) )
Duct tape is like the Force - it has a Dark side, a Light side, and it holds the universe together.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

a suggestion for the guide Uwe, ive used depot of current order on trains that need to go through a specific platform on a station so they dont terminate and have to find their way elsewhere. if they arent ordered to stop at the tation.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
squishycube
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by squishycube »

I just started using the routing restrictions signals so I may be missing something, but is it true that only the default goods are listed in the Cargo list? Because I was missing paper in there. Maybe a later version of this patch could read cargo's from GRF?
Great patch anyhow, it already made my game a much smoother.
I heard the stories that they tell of how they labored for this company which sold it's soul to hell

It's my alter ego in my avatar, not me!
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

squishycube wrote:is it true that only the default goods are listed in the Cargo list?
No, it's not true. Not here at least. :)
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

for instance 'Train cargo' does it ask for the train's cargo capacity type or current cago loaded
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
squishycube
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by squishycube »

A screenshot for more clarity.
The two signals I circled with red are "cargo is not wood" and "cargo is wood or goods". I'd like to be able to change the second one to "cargo is not paper"
Attachments
SCR2.gif
SCR2.gif (339.42 KiB) Viewed 755 times
I heard the stories that they tell of how they labored for this company which sold it's soul to hell

Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

m3henry wrote:for instance 'Train cargo' does it ask for the train's cargo capacity type or current cago loaded
The trains cargo capacity type, so if it has empty coal hoppers and it says 'cargo=coal' the train will be allowed through.
Posted by Pookey...

For Information on TTD Patch Click Here
For Information on Building a Network (FAST) Click Here
For Information on Building a Network as a Challenge (SLOW) Click Here
For Help on the Different Signalling Types Click Here
Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Squishycube:
This will be fixed in the next nightly. (Commit r1543)
If it still doesn't work or you find any bugs, please post; although it should work fine.

JGR
squishycube
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by squishycube »

Thanks for the quick action JGR. It doesn't really work though, see screenshot.
Extra notes:
If "Paper" is selected, "Food" is displayed. If "Food", "Beer" or "Fish" are selected, "Cannot remove obstacles on land" is displayed, like in the screenshot.

I didn't test whether the signal actually works for Food when I select Paper, but it didn't work for Paper.

Also, as not to clutter the Nightly discussion thread: I love the new support for enhanced tunnel tracks in a direction not perpendicular to the tunnel direction! I got to use it immediately.
Attachments
Hehe
Hehe
SCR1.gif (348.45 KiB) Viewed 726 times

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

I'm thinking this is more likely a problem with an outdated cargo grf, rather than with the restricted signaling patch.
squishycube
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by squishycube »

I don't know about you, but I use the one on this page: http://www.ttdpatch.net/newgrf.html
New cargo types (v0.12) last updated Sep 15 2005 01:34:48 GMT.
I think I started using the newcargo's later then that date.

Return to “General TTDPatch”