TTD Urban Renewal: a massive day to night conversion

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

darkkavenger wrote:Your TTDNight graphics are great! Did you figured out a kind of 'batch' file allowing to choose to start with normal TTD or TTDNight, by saving files to a TTDday folder, then copying files from the folder TTDnight into tycoon normal directory ? I'm using a (more simple) system like this to load at my convenience (and the convenience of my girlfriend) tycoon in french, in english, or in german (for a cool game i'm playing).

That would be great !
Do you mean replace the GRF files TTD is runing? I don't think they will be deleteable while they are in use.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Andrex wrote:
darkkavenger wrote:Your TTDNight graphics are great! Did you figured out a kind of 'batch' file allowing to choose to start with normal TTD or TTDNight, by saving files to a TTDday folder, then copying files from the folder TTDnight into tycoon normal directory ? I'm using a (more simple) system like this to load at my convenience (and the convenience of my girlfriend) tycoon in french, in english, or in german (for a cool game i'm playing).

That would be great !
Do you mean replace the GRF files TTD is runing? I don't think they will be deleteable while they are in use.
I don't know ... probably it can be done but it will don't change anything when you are playing ... I think TTD is loading whole graphic at starting (TTD) ... so any changes/replaces will beavabile after restarting TTD
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Actually, TTD doesn't load any graphics until it needs them. It only goes through the .grf files and takes note of the file offset and sprite info for each sprite.

It has a fairly intelligent GRF loader that swaps out older sprites which aren't needed anymore, and loads new ones automatically.

That's how TTD can be run with 3MB memory, when the graphics themselves are over 6MB in total...
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

so.btw. Is it possible to make .... for example NIGHTED graphic in GRF files ?? (of course in nighted.grf will be only necessary files, not all)
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Huh? What do you mean? You can make anything you want, but what do you want it to actually do?
Josef Drexler

No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Patchman wrote:Huh? What do you mean? You can make anything you want, but what do you want it to actually do?
I was thinkin about GRF files instead of EXE ... EXE are replacing graphics for forever ... but you said NFO is storing info about which sprite it changed .. so I asked if it is possible to create nighted.grf for replacing TTD graphic (instead of EXE file ... and that way nighted.grf will not have all graphic[it will not be renamed and repaint trg1r.grf])... huh ... I hope you understand what I mean this time .... :roll:
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

No, sorry I still don't know what you mean.

Sure the .exe is permanent, but you can easily make another .exe file with the original graphics that undoes the change. Just run GRFDiff with the files in reverse order (i.e. .grf first then .bak).

And the .nfo file is only used when running GRFCodec, which includes that information in the .grf file, so I don't see why you mention it at all...

I still don't understand what you want to achieve...
Josef Drexler

Hi-Torque
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hi-Torque »

Batch files are very good, I currently use them to swap newgrfw.txt to suit my mood for climate and start TTDPatch all in one double click. I also have built one to swap the night TTD out each time I start TTD.

However, I have not seen anyone mention the fact that you can have multiple directories of the entire TTD install. I use this method to check out graphics I or someone else may have made and to play with Josefs newest alphas. Of course you could just as easily keep multiple copies of trg1.grf around but with hugh HDD's to be had for nothing (I mean I've got six gigs just in The Sims...TTD 60 odd megs is inconsequential) why bother. Another benifit to this scheme is you can setup TTDPatch differnt ways.

Anyway, I'm new to these forums so if this is a well known fact my apoligies, but the user posts just don't bear that out.

Andrex, I want to say again what a great piece of work NightTTD is. Great Job!
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Very well torque.

However I recommend you NOT to double post things in multiple threads.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Hehe, Andrex knows the penalty for breaking the law :lol:
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
troopper5
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by troopper5 »

Orudge wrote:
So now, when I'm playing during the day, I can use the normal graphics, then save the game and quit when it gets dark, and start TTD with the night-time graphics!
I wondered, that how to change graphics quickly to day-to-dark and vice versa? Is there a file that should be back-uped and then add it back when day comes or other way?
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Patchman wrote:No, sorry I still don't know what you mean.

Sure the .exe is permanent, but you can easily make another .exe file with the original graphics that undoes the change. Just run GRFDiff with the files in reverse order (i.e. .grf first then .bak).

And the .nfo file is only used when running GRFCodec, which includes that information in the .grf file, so I don't see why you mention it at all...

I still don't understand what you want to achieve...
... I try one more time ... :oops: ...
is it possible to use GRF instead of EXE ?
If yes, so why ppl creating EXE files ... they could create GRF files to replace graphic ...
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

SHADOW-XIII wrote: If yes, so why ppl creating EXE files ... they could create GRF files to replace graphic ...
Because distributing and EXE of a bunch of KB is much easier than a 2500 KB GRF file. Who would download over 2 megs for a single or a few modified sprites?
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Andrex wrote:
SHADOW-XIII wrote: If yes, so why ppl creating EXE files ... they could create GRF files to replace graphic ...
Because distributing and EXE of a bunch of KB is much easier than a 2500 KB GRF file. Who would download over 2 megs for a single or a few modified sprites?
this is exacly what I mean !!!!! .. NFO files are storing which spirte will be replaced so it is not necessary to post an EXE file if GRF file gives you the same (and not permanent)
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:
Andrex wrote:
this is exacly what I mean !!!!! .. NFO files are storing which spirte will be replaced so it is not necessary to post an EXE file if GRF file gives you the same (and not permanent)

:?: :!:
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

if NFO files are storing info about which sprite will be replaced .. we can create GRF files only with what we want graphic ... not whole (rest unchanged graphic) ...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I think I understand you. Basically, you want the equivalent of a GRFDiff EXE file in a .GRF - just containing the updated sprites. TTDPatch would then read this instead of the normal graphics (which would still be in the original GRF files).
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

exacly ... and changes wouldn't permanent !!!!!
troopper5
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by troopper5 »

Hmm.... am i the only one that anyone won't listen to me? Or is there someone else too...? :?
sultana
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by sultana »

troopper5 wrote:Hmm.... am i the only one that anyone won't listen to me? Or is there someone else too...? :?
Don't worry, it's easy to lose a reply in an active topic... we go off-topic sooo much. Don't worry it happpens eveyr now and then, usually it doesn't

Return to “General TTDPatch”