Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 1:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous 125 26 27 28 29 Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:54 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

wallyweb wrote:
There is no doubt that OpenTTD should be the competitive player's choice. Until features such as the reality offered by custom bridgeheads reach OpenTTD, in my opinion (and that of several others) TTDPatch remains the scenario creator's venue of choice.

Yes, I agree. And that's another big question-mark - why are custom bridgeheads so hard or strange that OTTD doesn't have them, when they are so very useful, and even arguably realistic to boot?

I'm not familiar with Chill's Patchpack, maybe I should take a look sometime.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:42 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

JGR wrote:
I've never played OTTD trunk, and you shouldn't let the lack of such features put you off when the code is so easy to patch (even if savegame/patch compatibility is utterly crap).

wallyweb wrote:
That said, it is good that something is available via Chill's Patchpack.

Oh yeah, "Patchpacks" (and savegame compatibility):

- Russian OpenTTD Community patchpack
- Tib's Patch Pack
- roest's patch pack
- EMPM (Enhanced MultiPlayer Mod)
- Community Integrated Version Build 1
- Gonozal_VIII patchpack
- Roujin's Patches
- Integrated Version ChrisIN R2
- Integrated Version ChrisIN-Final-1
- (richk67s) MiniIN

(list from 2008, posted on German tt-forums)

Gone with the wind ...

wallyweb wrote:
Until features such as the reality offered by custom bridgeheads reach OpenTTD, in my opinion (and that of several others) TTDPatch remains the scenario creator's venue of choice.

Well, for me, it´s not "custom bridgeheads", but it´s primarily with JGR´s outstanding work on advanced signalling. And then, there are a large number of smaller features, which can be found only in TTDPatch, like more realistic locks (in OTTD ships are just travelling up slopes), some of the yet not implemented features in OTTD, like watched cargo accepted, advantageous design decisions like simply handling "waypoints" as a special station class, and then, again by Jonathan, there´s cargo destinations in trunk. 8)

And most important, as a newGRF developer, it´s much easier to develop under TTDPatch simply because it´s lightweight and uncomplicated to exchange all types of newGRFs, where OTOH, OTTD seems to go "baroque".

I´m not saying that OTTD is inferior to TTDPatch. On the contrary, it´s a respectable piece of software, it has lots and lots of features for (MP) gamers. But, unfortunately, I simply don´t play (much), and therefore, I can´t take any profit from these features. OTOH, what I regret most in TTDPatch is that it still has only 11 veh-IDs for ships. And o/c, that we didn´t achieve a "final" Beta with full language support.

Just my 2cc

regards
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:06 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

krtaylor wrote:
why are custom bridgeheads so hard or strange that OTTD doesn't have them
These nine pages of discussion say it all. :(

Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2015 - Tied May 2016

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:10 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

It would seem that the TTDPatch nightly download page is currently not available.
Should anybody be needing it, I have TTDPatch-nightly-r2366-win32.zip (The last known nightly release) in my archives. Posted below per krtaylor's suggesion. :bow:

Last edited by wallyweb on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:18 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Are nightlies even still in development anymore? Or has everything switched over to OTTD?

wallyweb, why don't you just post the last nightly here, where people can find it?

http://www.as-st.com/ttd

Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:29 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

krtaylor wrote:
Are nightlies even still in development anymore?
Unfortunately not.

Quote:
wallyweb, why don't you just post the last nightly here, where people can find it?
Here you go:

Attachments:
File comment: Sorry ... I do not have the DOS version.
TTDPatch-nightly-r2366-win32.zip [603 KiB]
Downloaded 66 times

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:45 am 

wallyweb wrote:
It would seem that the TTDPatch nightly download page is currently not available.
Should anybody be needing it, I have TTDPatch-nightly-r2366-win32.zip (The last known nightly release) in my archives. Posted below per krtaylor's suggesion. :bow:

Wasn't that page for Alphas and Beta's? I get my nightlies from http://nightly.ttdpatch.net/latest when in need of a download.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:00 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

roboboy wrote:
Wasn't that page for Alphas and Beta's?
Aye ... it was the Source Code page which had the link that you kindly just provided. :bow:
I now have it in my bookmarks. Thank you. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:53 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

wallyweb wrote:

Seems Owen put it down.

regards
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:48 am 

michael blunck wrote:
wallyweb wrote:

Seems Owen put it down.

regards
Michael

It seems that in the reorganising of some of the content on ttdpatch.net that that page got broken. I think presumably Owen should have a look at what broke since we can no longer access the latest Beta.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:07 am 
Administrator
Administrator

michael blunck wrote:
Seems Owen put it down.

I have nothing to do with ttdpatch.net, you'd have to speak to Josef about it. The /src/ page has been displaying that message for some months now, unfortunately. It seems to just be the index that's gone though - http://www.ttdpatch.net/src/latestw.zip still works, for instance. The old index can be found on archive.org.

The same applies to /src/diffs/ and /src/old/ too. Possibly Josef updated his server and the new version of the software has disabled the display of directory listings?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:49 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

orudge wrote:
Possibly Josef updated his server and the new version of the software has disabled the display of directory listings?

I´ve sent him a mail, let´s see what will happen.

regards
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:36 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Should be fixed now.

regards
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:42 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

michael blunck wrote:
Should be fixed now.
:D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:42 pm 

As most of you are aware, I can build TTDPatch myself. I plan on starting a 2.6 whenever I can build it release thread once I get commit access. I intend for that to be the best place to get what were the night lies until we get the compile farm up and running again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:08 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

roboboy wrote:
As most of you are aware, I can build TTDPatch myself. I plan on starting a 2.6 whenever I can build it release thread once I get commit access. I intend for that to be the best place to get what were the night lies until we get the compile farm up and running again.

Is this in anticipation of notable future development on the nightlies?
Without wanting to sound pessimistic, is it really worth resurrecting the compile farm et al.?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:06 am 

JGR wrote:
roboboy wrote:

Is this in anticipation of notable future development on the nightlies?
Without wanting to sound pessimistic, is it really worth resurrecting the compile farm et al.?

Well I am hoping to try and lure DaleStan back to see if he is willing to add GRF V8 compatibility like he stated he might do. I am planning a few bug fixes with possible features as I learn more about TTD's internals.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:13 am 

I have posted a new "nightly" at the site in my signature. All the changes are fixes related to trams or bridges. For further details on the changes look at the changelog.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:44 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

May I ask why the latest nightly releases are not posted on http://nightly.ttdpatch.net/latest/ anymore? I know Josef might be busy with other projects (like real life?) but if that's the case he could provide access for someone else to continue posting updates there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:32 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Is this continuation of TTDP even "officially" supported? If not that's probably why they're not going on Josef's site.

Also, to roboboy, I'm after a bit of detail as to what the project's aims are going forward, I've not really seen any detailed explanation of it. (feel free to point me in the direction if it's been mentioned and I'm just blind, stupid or overlooking it). Why development is restarting on TTDP? Do we have any sort of statistics as to how many people still play using the patch and the demographic?

Does TTDP still have any features that OTTD hasn't managed to develop?

Also, do you plan to abandon the development of the DOS patch, as it for a long time was something that was holding back the development of the windows version due to its nature?

Keen to hear your answers and thoughts on this.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous 125 26 27 28 29 Next