2.6 nightly/alpha discussion

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 2.6 nightly/alpha discussion

Post by OzTrans »

We have hit a little snag ...

NEWGRF specifications for Action-00, property 09 for stations ... sprite number to draw in spritedata says : ... “With bit 31 set, this sprite will refer to a TTD sprite, not the action 1 sprite.” So far so good, it works with normal rail ...

Example :

Code: Select all

... F4 03 00 00   00 00 00 0A 0A 00   24 00 00 80 ...
here we refer to a station sprite, implemented via a TTD sprite; number 36 (0x0024) in this case, to this will be added (via an action-6) the sprite number GRM returns.

This all works as long as we don't try to build a monorail, maglev or narrow gauge station. With monorail stations the Patch adds an offset of 82 (with maglev, it's an offset of 164).

That makes a big mess of any station built from a non-normal rail station construction menu.

Now, is that a feature or a bug ?
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

I believe it is intended. The offset of 82 corresponds to the number of sprites for each rail type, so you can specify a rail sprite, or a station building sprite, and the game will automatically use the correct graphic for the rail type in use. For this purpose electrified rail and plain rail are considered the same.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

I was afraid, that this was behind the implementation of using TTD sprites. But for practical purposes, this limits the use of TTD sprites to the 'original' TTD sprites 1005 to 1086 inclusive; something the wiki does not mention. Or, we have to load our own 'TTD' sprites 3 times in batches of 82. What a waste !!
PeterB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PeterB »

Woops, 2180 didn't compile.
from the log:
make: *** No rule to make target `dest.inc', needed by `patches/cargodest.wpo'. Stop.
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make: *** No rule to make target `dest.inc', needed by `patches/cargodest.dpo'. Stop.
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
zip warning: name not matched: ttdpatchw.exe

zip error: Nothing to do! (TTDPatch-nightly-r2180-win32.zip)
zip warning: name not matched: ttdpatch.exe

zip error: Nothing to do! (TTDPatch-nightly-r2180-dos.zip)
cp: cannot stat `TTDPatch*.zip': No such file or directory
If I knew what it all meant I might try to fix it myself, but probably best left for the experts.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Probably a file JGR forgot to upload, that said he did say that change was experimental and highly a work in progress.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

My apologies for that PeterB and indeed to everyone else who's build I broke...
I should really svn add my files earlier instead of leaving them unversionned til the last minute...

Sorry for the delay too, I've been preoccupied since shortly after that commit with tech troubles of the malware kind, sadly...

Experimental commit isn't really a justification for leaving half of it out Lakie...
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Just a quick question, but lately i've noticed A LOT of work on the 2.6 nightlies (which is great!) but whatever happened to the 2.5 branch?

The latest 2.5 is from 2006. I think it'd look better for TTDP if you tried releasing a new official 2.5 beta, or something :? (Or perhaps scrapping 2.5 altogether, and making a 2.6 alpha 1, or something?)
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

Yes, I agree with you Jolteon. The logical step is to create a 2.5 Beta 10 Version, however, seeing as development is now almost exclusively for the 2.6 Branch, it would probably be better to add all the fixes that the devs currently have to 2.5b9 (but NOT the new stuff added to the 2.6 branch) and then advertise a week long bug hunt for 2.5b9 to get rid of any as yet unfound bugs. This would then allow for a 2.5 Stable and an official 2.6 Alpha 1 could also be released. At least if there is a new stable on the homepage, it will make people see that it is still being developed.
Posted by Pookey...

For Information on TTD Patch Click Here
For Information on Building a Network (FAST) Click Here
For Information on Building a Network as a Challenge (SLOW) Click Here
For Help on the Different Signalling Types Click Here
Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Jolteon wrote:Just a quick question, but lately i've noticed A LOT of work on the 2.6 nightlies (which is great!) but whatever happened to the 2.5 branch?

The latest 2.5 is from 2006. I think it'd look better for TTDP if you tried releasing a new official 2.5 beta, or something :? (Or perhaps scrapping 2.5 altogether, and making a 2.6 alpha 1, or something?)
Only Patchman can make beta or release versions, and Patchman is not currently active.
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

He's not active long time ago. Is there anybody in contact with him?
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

PikkaBird wrote:
Jolteon wrote:Just a quick question, but lately i've noticed A LOT of work on the 2.6 nightlies (which is great!) but whatever happened to the 2.5 branch?

Only Patchman can make beta or release versions, and Patchman is not currently active.
Surely there is somebody else who has an account that can create at least an updated Beta? Is it not possible for Dalestan or Lakie to create a stable and release it on the forums, or are they also unable to give the executable the appropriate version numbers?
Posted by Pookey...

Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Version numbers aren't an issue. The issue is the TTD executables. As far as I know, only Patchman has all 10. (I know I don't have all of them.) Without all 10, we cannot generate the version information that a proper release requires.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

There's 10 of them? I thought it was just 4, Windows English, Windows German, DOS English and DOS German.
Those are the only ones I knew about.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I once received all 10 executables from Josef, unfortunately, I only appear to have the 5 windows executables.
It appears that the DOS executables and original archive have since been lost.

[Edit]
Gremnon, there are versions for English (UK), German, French, Spanish and American.
I presume that there are Windows and DOS variants of each, hence 10 overall.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

Lakie wrote:I once received all 10 executables from Josef, unfortunately, I only appear to have the 5 windows executables.

~ Lakie
So it would be possible for someone to create a valid Windows version then...

If we were to obtain the missing DOS executables, is anyone currently able to contact Josef and find out if he would approve of the Patch Devs creating a new Beta and/or Stable?
Posted by Pookey...

George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Pookey wrote:
Lakie wrote:I once received all 10 executables from Josef, unfortunately, I only appear to have the 5 windows executables.
~ Lakie
So it would be possible for someone to create a valid Windows version then...
If we were to obtain the missing DOS executables, is anyone currently able to contact Josef and find out if he would approve of the Patch Devs creating a new Beta and/or Stable?
Do anyone know the size of the dos executables?
Image Image Image Image
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

In the range of 400 KB, I believe.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

DaleStan wrote:In the range of 400 KB, I believe.
I meant the exact size in bytes
Image Image Image Image
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

I have four of them I think:

English: 496,601 Bytes
French: 505,759 Bytes
German: 505,759 Bytes
Spanish: 505,759 Bytes

I haven't been able to find anywhere to compare the sizes though :?
Posted by Pookey...

AYE
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AYE »

Pookey wrote:I have four of them I think:

English: 496,601 Bytes
French: 505,759 Bytes
German: 505,759 Bytes
Spanish: 505,759 Bytes

I haven't been able to find anywhere to compare the sizes though :?
I have found some ancient installation of TTD on an ancient backup drive. The exe contains text "Transport Tycoon (Deluxe) V2.01.119", and the file size (tycoon.exe) is 496 543 bytes. The overlay (tycoon.ovl) size is 207 316 bytes. Don't know if it helps anybody :roll:

Return to “General TTDPatch”