2.6 nightly/alpha discussion

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 2.6 nightly/alpha discussion

Post by krtaylor »

wallyweb wrote:There is no doubt that OpenTTD should be the competitive player's choice. Until features such as the reality offered by custom bridgeheads reach OpenTTD, in my opinion (and that of several others) TTDPatch remains the scenario creator's venue of choice.
Yes, I agree. And that's another big question-mark - why are custom bridgeheads so hard or strange that OTTD doesn't have them, when they are so very useful, and even arguably realistic to boot?

I'm not familiar with Chill's Patchpack, maybe I should take a look sometime.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

JGR wrote: I've never played OTTD trunk, and you shouldn't let the lack of such features put you off when the code is so easy to patch (even if savegame/patch compatibility is utterly crap).
wallyweb wrote: That said, it is good that something is available via Chill's Patchpack.
Oh yeah, "Patchpacks" (and savegame compatibility):

- Russian OpenTTD Community patchpack
- Tib's Patch Pack
- roest's patch pack
- EMPM (Enhanced MultiPlayer Mod)
- Community Integrated Version Build 1
- Gonozal_VIII patchpack
- Roujin's Patches
- Integrated Version ChrisIN R2
- Integrated Version ChrisIN-Final-1
- (richk67s) MiniIN

(list from 2008, posted on German tt-forums)

Gone with the wind ...
wallyweb wrote: Until features such as the reality offered by custom bridgeheads reach OpenTTD, in my opinion (and that of several others) TTDPatch remains the scenario creator's venue of choice.
Well, for me, it´s not "custom bridgeheads", but it´s primarily with JGR´s outstanding work on advanced signalling. And then, there are a large number of smaller features, which can be found only in TTDPatch, like more realistic locks (in OTTD ships are just travelling up slopes), some of the yet not implemented features in OTTD, like watched cargo accepted, advantageous design decisions like simply handling "waypoints" as a special station class, and then, again by Jonathan, there´s cargo destinations in trunk. 8)

And most important, as a newGRF developer, it´s much easier to develop under TTDPatch simply because it´s lightweight and uncomplicated to exchange all types of newGRFs, where OTOH, OTTD seems to go "baroque".

I´m not saying that OTTD is inferior to TTDPatch. On the contrary, it´s a respectable piece of software, it has lots and lots of features for (MP) gamers. But, unfortunately, I simply don´t play (much), and therefore, I can´t take any profit from these features. OTOH, what I regret most in TTDPatch is that it still has only 11 veh-IDs for ships. And o/c, that we didn´t achieve a "final" Beta with full language support.

Just my 2cc

regards
Michael
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

krtaylor wrote:why are custom bridgeheads so hard or strange that OTTD doesn't have them
These nine pages of discussion say it all. :(
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

It would seem that the TTDPatch nightly download page is currently not available.
Should anybody be needing it, I have TTDPatch-nightly-r2366-win32.zip (The last known nightly release) in my archives. Posted below per krtaylor's suggesion. :bow:
Last edited by wallyweb on 22 Jul 2013 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Are nightlies even still in development anymore? Or has everything switched over to OTTD?

wallyweb, why don't you just post the last nightly here, where people can find it?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

krtaylor wrote:Are nightlies even still in development anymore?
Unfortunately not.
wallyweb, why don't you just post the last nightly here, where people can find it?
Here you go:
Attachments
TTDPatch-nightly-r2366-win32.zip
Sorry ... I do not have the DOS version.
(603 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

wallyweb wrote:It would seem that the TTDPatch nightly download page is currently not available.
Should anybody be needing it, I have TTDPatch-nightly-r2366-win32.zip (The last known nightly release) in my archives. Posted below per krtaylor's suggesion. :bow:
Wasn't that page for Alphas and Beta's? I get my nightlies from http://nightly.ttdpatch.net/latest when in need of a download.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

roboboy wrote: Wasn't that page for Alphas and Beta's?
Aye ... it was the Source Code page which had the link that you kindly just provided. :bow:
I now have it in my bookmarks. Thank you. :D
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

wallyweb wrote:It would seem that the TTDPatch nightly download page is currently not available.
Seems Owen put it down.

regards
Michael
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

michael blunck wrote:
Seems Owen put it down.

regards
Michael
It seems that in the reorganising of some of the content on ttdpatch.net that that page got broken. I think presumably Owen should have a look at what broke since we can no longer access the latest Beta.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

michael blunck wrote:Seems Owen put it down.
I have nothing to do with ttdpatch.net, you'd have to speak to Josef about it. The /src/ page has been displaying that message for some months now, unfortunately. It seems to just be the index that's gone though - http://www.ttdpatch.net/src/latestw.zip still works, for instance. The old index can be found on archive.org.

The same applies to /src/diffs/ and /src/old/ too. Possibly Josef updated his server and the new version of the software has disabled the display of directory listings?
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

orudge wrote: Possibly Josef updated his server and the new version of the software has disabled the display of directory listings?
I´ve sent him a mail, let´s see what will happen.

regards
Michael
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Should be fixed now.

regards
Michael
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

michael blunck wrote:Should be fixed now.
:D
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

As most of you are aware, I can build TTDPatch myself. I plan on starting a 2.6 whenever I can build it release thread once I get commit access. I intend for that to be the best place to get what were the night lies until we get the compile farm up and running again.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

roboboy wrote:As most of you are aware, I can build TTDPatch myself. I plan on starting a 2.6 whenever I can build it release thread once I get commit access. I intend for that to be the best place to get what were the night lies until we get the compile farm up and running again.
Is this in anticipation of notable future development on the nightlies?
Without wanting to sound pessimistic, is it really worth resurrecting the compile farm et al.?
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

JGR wrote:
roboboy wrote:As most of you are aware, I can build TTDPatch myself. I plan on starting a 2.6 whenever I can build it release thread once I get commit access. I intend for that to be the best place to get what were the night lies until we get the compile farm up and running again.
Is this in anticipation of notable future development on the nightlies?
Without wanting to sound pessimistic, is it really worth resurrecting the compile farm et al.?
Well I am hoping to try and lure DaleStan back to see if he is willing to add GRF V8 compatibility like he stated he might do. I am planning a few bug fixes with possible features as I learn more about TTD's internals.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I have posted a new "nightly" at the site in my signature. All the changes are fixes related to trams or bridges. For further details on the changes look at the changelog.
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

May I ask why the latest nightly releases are not posted on http://nightly.ttdpatch.net/latest/ anymore? I know Josef might be busy with other projects (like real life?) but if that's the case he could provide access for someone else to continue posting updates there.
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Is this continuation of TTDP even "officially" supported? If not that's probably why they're not going on Josef's site.

Also, to roboboy, I'm after a bit of detail as to what the project's aims are going forward, I've not really seen any detailed explanation of it. (feel free to point me in the direction if it's been mentioned and I'm just blind, stupid or overlooking it). Why development is restarting on TTDP? Do we have any sort of statistics as to how many people still play using the patch and the demographic?

Does TTDP still have any features that OTTD hasn't managed to develop?

Also, do you plan to abandon the development of the DOS patch, as it for a long time was something that was holding back the development of the windows version due to its nature?

Keen to hear your answers and thoughts on this.
Formerly known as Lachie

Return to “General TTDPatch”