TTDPC: New configuration program - Version 1.3.1 Released

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Scautura wrote:When upgrading TTDP (not TTDPC), does it give a list of "new switches" to that version that can (for example) be bolded within TTDPC? Or a comparison be made to the "current" ttdpatch.cfg and the same be done? It would be nice to have them pulled out in a separate folder ...
There's no indication of switch 'age' as far as I know. Doing the comparison is easy, in fact the knowledge already exists in the program. The coloring or bolding of text in the display is the big hurdle. It means going from a stock control to an owner-drawn (= I have to do a lot of work by hand just to get back to the current look, and then add the coloring/bolding).

Don't expect it in the near future...
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Captain_Kirk76 wrote:well, there we go, bug fixed....
Are you just talking out loud, or are you actually confirming that the bug fix solved your problem? Is TTDPC still 'borked' for you?

If you haven't tried the new version, could you please shut up?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Indeed it works, though i dont much like it.
But yes, the bug would appear to be fixed.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

AndersI wrote:The coloring or bolding of text in the display is the big hurdle.
You could just display the switch name as "tracerestrict [NEW]" or something.
m3henry wrote:now that youve practically fished TTPC, you could have a shot at GRFC (grf configurator) because there is nothing other than TTDXC to do it for me (yes, I do know about hand editing(shadow's program is NOT availible for download (download link doesnt work)))
The link to Shadow's Graphic Manager on the TTDPatch Tools page works, I've just tried it.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Scautura
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Scautura »

Patchman wrote:
AndersI wrote:The coloring or bolding of text in the display is the big hurdle.
You could just display the switch name as "tracerestrict [NEW]" or something.
I understand not being able to have any special effects on the test, but that (patchman's suggestion) would work fine as far as I'm concerned. Just "something" to say it's new, otherwise it might not be noticed. And with the way things are going at the moment, I'm enjoying the use of the new switches, and the ability to use a working configuration tool (other than notepad). :)
Patchman wrote:
m3henry wrote:now that youve practically fished TTPC, you could have a shot at GRFC (grf configurator) because there is nothing other than TTDXC to do it for me (yes, I do know about hand editing(shadow's program is NOT availible for download (download link doesnt work)))
The link to Shadow's Graphic Manager on the TTDPatch Tools page works, I've just tried it.
I'm not sure if I got my copy from a working webpage, but I'm pretty sure there's a download link on this forum as well - a search may help.

Scautura
Duct tape is like the Force - it has a Dark side, a Light side, and it holds the universe together.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Would it be possible to also mark individual bits as new? That's something that Patch doesn't do, so I currently have to vgrep ttdpatch.cfg or svn log bitnames.ah to determine which bits are new.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
minime
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by minime »

AndersI,

could you please add an option to select the name of the ttdpatch executable, instead of having it hardcoded as ttdpatch[w].exe? Even looking for something like ttdpatch[w]*.exe would be sufficient, but an Open File dialog would probably be the best.

I usually rename mine so that the name also contains the version, since I keep several different releases for testing my GRFs.

Cheers,
minime
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. --Albert Einstein
Image Image Image
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Kinda offtopic... I just checked TTDPatch's Tools and Download page and noticed the TTDPC was added there, and I can read "Both of these programs (...) have similar functionality..." :o

I just can't see how TTDXC and TTPDC could have "similar functionality"... that was a really funny one... lol :D
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Andrex wrote:I just can't see how TTDXC and TTPDC could have "similar functionality"... that was a really funny one... lol :D
You mean because TTDPC actually works? ;)
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Andrex wrote:I just can't see how TTDXC and TTPDC could have "similar functionality"... that was a really funny one... lol :D
Do they not do the same thing, configure TTDPatch? I imagine that means that they function similarily. Or does your program make coffee?

Please leave it up to the users to decide, without needless trolling in "competitons" threads. It's just childish and immature.

No more discussion off-topic please.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

m3henry wrote:you could have a shot at GRFC (grf configurator)
I don't think I will. I have downloaded the "Graphic Manager" (by whom?) and it works perfectly for me, so that would be duplicating work...
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Andrex wrote:I just checked TTDPatch's Tools and Download page and noticed the TTDPC was added there, and I can read "Both of these programs (...) have similar functionality..."
Well, don't blame me! I didn't write the blurb.
I just can't see how TTDXC and TTPDC could have "similar functionality"
Oh, I think "Editing the configuration" is quite like "Editing the configuration", but then TTDXC does a lot more.

Edit: I see you have added a 'Search' facility too, now. More likeness :-)
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

AndersI wrote:
m3henry wrote:you could have a shot at GRFC (grf configurator)
I don't think I will. I have downloaded the "Graphic Manager" (by whom?) and it works perfectly for me, so that would be duplicating work...
well in that case could you,
1. give me a link that works.
2. add an attachment containing it.
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

YAY! the link is fixed :D
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Hi AndersI

I don't now if you are still working on ttdpc but if you are, is there any way to have the program write the name of the patch version used to create the new/updated cfg?
On a related note, for having multiple patch cfg's, being able to save with an alternate name would be handy.

EDIT: Oh yes ... The thread title ... maybe "version 1.1.2 released" ? :wink:
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: TTDPC: New configuration program - Version 1.0 Released

Post by wallyweb »

"Postby wallyweb on Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:10 am" and still no response. I hope you're still around AndersI. TTDPC works great as it is. Now we're just pestering you for a couple of "added touches". :wink:
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re:

Post by AndersI »

Hah, it must have fallen under the radar pretty fast as *I* never forget anything. No Sir :oops:
wallyweb wrote:is there any way to have the program write the name of the patch version used to create the new/updated cfg?
Do you mean adding a comment inside the .cfg file? What use would you have of this? As it is now, TTDPC informs you about the version of the TTDPatch it's set up to configure. And what would be the 'creating version' of a cfg that's been in use since Stonehenge and just been updated with new switches? Or are you just interested in the highest version number that's been involved in the cfg?

I suppose TTDPC isn't perfect when you want to go back and forth between versions - the simple fix for this is to keep the full TTDPatch installations in separate folders, each with a cfg of their own, each with a TTDPC shortcut of their own. That way you never need to go back in the cfg (it must be best, as that's how I do it...).
On a related note, for having multiple patch cfg's, being able to save with an alternate name would be handy.
I suppose you'd like to be able to open alternately named files, too? :-)

I'm not so keen on this. TTDPC isn't an config file organizer, it's a tool to edit the current TTDPatch configuration. Maybe I could write an organizer too, but I think there already exists one (or more). I'm not playing many different configurations at the same time myself, so the problem hasn't shown up for me.
Oh yes ... The thread title ... maybe "version 1.1.2 released" ? :wink:
At least this point is easily fixed :-)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Re:

Post by wallyweb »

AndersI wrote:Hah, it must have fallen under the radar pretty fast as *I* never forget anything. No Sir :oops:
Oh! There you are! Sorry, I didn't see you sitting over there. :D
wallyweb wrote:is there any way to have the program write the name of the patch version used to create the new/updated cfg?
Do you mean adding a comment inside the .cfg file? What use would you have of this? As it is now, TTDPC informs you about the version of the TTDPatch it's set up to configure. And what would be the 'creating version' of a cfg that's been in use since Stonehenge and just been updated with new switches? Or are you just interested in the highest version number that's been involved in the cfg?
... Just a line at the top of the cfg something like "// r1777" to show which patch TTDPC used to create it. Perhaps better yet, in view of our comments below, a text entry field where the TTDPC user could enter a comment line. This could even be used by a coder or a dev who is troubleshooting a grf or the patch.

If the change log for the latest nightly does not imply that a switch has been removed or newly created I tend not to touch my ttdpatch.cfg files.

I knew it! Stonehenge is not an ancient astronomical tool but rather an ancient PC system for our ancestors to play TTDPatch! :!:
I suppose TTDPC isn't perfect when you want to go back and forth between versions - the simple fix for this is to keep the full TTDPatch installations in separate folders, each with a cfg of their own, each with a TTDPC shortcut of their own. That way you never need to go back in the cfg (it must be best, as that's how I do it...).
On an old PC such as mine there isn't much room left for a second installation. (That's also my excuse for not having OTTD yet :wink: ) Well, I do have my PC cut up into a bunch of virtual drives so I suppose I could entice PartitionMagic to rob Peter to pay Paul. Actually, I like to have separate patch cfg's for each train set as they occasionally require different settings. I keep a folder of uniquely named patch cfg's and set my shortcuts to find them.

Code: Select all

G:\MPS\ttdpatchw.exe -C G:\MPS\patchcfg\ttdpatchnars.cfg -Xn  G:\MPS\1NARS\narsvalgrfw.cfg
Saves on valuable hard drive space you know. :wink:
I suppose you'd like to be able to open alternately named files, too? :-)
You DO understand! :D
I'm not so keen on this. TTDPC isn't an config file organizer, it's a tool to edit the current TTDPatch configuration. Maybe I could write an organizer too, but I think there already exists one (or more). I'm not playing many different configurations at the same time myself, so the problem hasn't shown up for me.
I most definitely do not consider TTDPC a file organizer. Its a TTDPatch configuration file parser/editor with a save function. I'm suggesting an enhancement to the save function ( "Save As") as well as a comment entry line. 8)

As mentioned before, these are merely suggestions. TTDPC is excellent as it is. Thanks for looking at these.

Nothing good or new ever happens without a bit of dialogue. :wink:
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Re:

Post by athanasios »

wallyweb wrote:On an old PC such as mine there isn't much room left for a second installation. (That's also my excuse for not having OTTD yet :wink: ) Well, I do have my PC cut up into a bunch of virtual drives so I suppose I could entice PartitionMagic to rob Peter to pay Paul. Actually, I like to have separate patch cfg's for each train set as they occasionally require different settings.
How old is your PC? Most older motherboards (for Pentium MMXs of about 133Mhz could pass the 8GB HD limitation. Hope your PC isn't so vintage. :lol: I 've got a PIII and it can see up to 127GB HD. But if OS can see the rest you don't care/don't need to upgrade the BIOS (Not that you could, PC companies care to make money not to help customers. Same applies to my PC (COMPAQ). No BIOS update.) You first install the OS in what space your BIOS can see and then under the OS use the rest Gigs to create other partitions. (XP without SP1 (does anyone use XP without SP1? :roll: ) does not recognize hard drives over 128 GB as they don’t support 48-bit LBA addressing (Windows 95 doesn’t support >32 GB, and Windows 98 doesn’t support >128 GB). Buy a new HD! :idea:
wallyweb wrote:I keep a folder of uniquely named patch cfg's and set my shortcuts to find them.
If you use WindowsME and earlier try my batch file from my web page. :wink:
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.

Return to “General TTDPatch”