Trams! (Work In Progress)

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Trams! (Work In Progress)

Post by stevenh »

To all those Ladies and Gents not frequenting the IRC Channel, I've been losing sleep lately over a new feature for TTDx.

Trams!

Now, A lot of you will be disappointed... since these are merely modified Road Vehicles; but they look damn fine.

I'm still ironing out a few bugs, but I hope to get a pretty solid preview available in the next Alpha....

...Stay Tuned....

[excuse the red fences on the 'light-rail' tracks, it was a bug at the time this screenshot was taken]
Attachments
+Alpine makes nice Snow cities.
+Alpine makes nice Snow cities.
trams-shot1.PNG (65.65 KiB) Viewed 37226 times
trams-shot2.PNG
trams-shot2.PNG (84.51 KiB) Viewed 37224 times
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Hey, I'm not dissappointed at all! Indeed, I'm glad that trams work as road vehicles and not as trains, since that's the way they are supposed to work!
So will they be compatible with trucks and buses? I mean, have a road with tram rails, and have buses and trams go on the same path.

It looks very good, I like it
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

Yeah, don't worry about that, they're all RVs and use the exact same roads, etc... they still fight for the road. Of course, standard RVs can't drive on the light rail tracks, and Trams can only screech on rails.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

I'm lucky enough to have been able to test these, so I can tell you roughly how they work...

Tram tracks are built in a similar way to roads. You get the tram tracks construction window up by clicking-and-holding the road construction button, similar to how you get to maglev construction by clicking and holding the rail construction button.

Tram tracks can be built on-road or off (where they're "light rail"). Trams can only run on tram-tracks, RVs can only run on roads.

Trams act just like RVs, except they can't overtake and they ignore one-way roads. Trams interact normally with other RVs (ie, they get in each other's way), and busses can also use tram stops.
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

I'm hiring Pikka as my personal assistant.
Please direct all future enquires to him.

(I've realised I'm always conversing/thinking/speaking in code... :shock:)
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

whoa, i got it from IRC as well, amazing 'innit?
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

That's excellent! I reiterate myself, this is the opposite of a dissappointment; I'm very glad that there are trams that work properly!

Will we have a X'mas release for those? This would be a neat gift 8)
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

Are you willing to negotiate?

They will work on:
-tunnels
-bridges
...but there'll be no visible graphics.

And you are NOT allowed to complain if you try to build Level Crossings (rail/elrail/monorail/maglev) anywhere near my tram tracks... they're causing me grief.
Currently the trams can cross them when you build tram tracks over pre-built level-crossings... but it's nasty.

...am currently just working on getting DOS happening, then you'll see a release.
Attachments
Hah.. they nearly look articulated. I can assure you that they are not.
Hah.. they nearly look articulated. I can assure you that they are not.
whogetsrighterway.PNG (61.36 KiB) Viewed 37136 times
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

That's sweet :D

Great stuff Steven. Can't wait for this...

Question though... As they behave like RV's, I assume that they will also use those Vehicle IDs, correct?
Or did you manage to find different IDs for them?
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

I'll pop in here.

Yes, they do use RV ID's, they are coded just the same as RV's, except that they have properly 1C set to 01. Othwerise, exactly as RV's from a coding POV.

At least with my trams, I am giving them a slightly higher capacity to normal RV's, amd having them load slightly faster, whilst making them slightly slower. Combined with being restricted to rails, I hope this will make trams a standout from buses in regards to passenger RV transport.

I am currently working on proper tram graphics to go with this release, based on Melbournes trams. The ones shown in Steven's screenies are the trams I drew for the Sydney Bus Set I am working on, but they were done long before trams existed, and as such don't have the electric poles and they don't look as good as the ones I am working on.

ATM I have drawn and coded one tram specifically as a tram, and that is the C-Class, shown below.

This set will be compatable with the HOV's bus/truck set, but I doubt it will be compatable with other RV sets, as I am using the back end of the toyland ID's to avoid confliction (specifically, ID's 50-56, with 57 reserved for future use).
Attachments
C-Class.png
C-Class.png (5 KiB) Viewed 36858 times
C-Class 2.png
C-Class 2.png (8.93 KiB) Viewed 36864 times
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

This is very interesting and really looks good at this stage already :bow: (hey, I don't do that often). I'm also glad to see they work no matter what roadset people use, that makes life A LOT easier for the few people who once made a roadset for TTD.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

For the vehicle IDs I have already some plans. But this will be after we get to a stable version... :wink:

As my late ideas fundamental change how TTD/TTDPatch works you won't see much from me, but expect a chrismas version from me :)
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

A couple more trams roll out of the workshop and onto the tracks.

Of note is the fact that the C-Class is an example of the random selection of models running on all the different private tram companies around Victoria at the start of the 20's. I wouldn't mind learning how to code it so that this model appears in a random livery, but thats further down the line. We have a sample white/green livery, which will do.

I've also completed the W1 Class, which was brought in when the whole tramways network was brought under one company, and the W2, which is a later, higher capacity model.

The following screenies show you the two W-Class trams completed so far in their early livery.

As I say, these trams will be released alongside the trams feature, although only a few trams may be avaliable, depending on how many trams are drawn and coded by then ;).
Attachments
The W1's older brother, the W2 is at the bottom of this screenie. Slightly longer, it can hold 10 more passengers and is introduced in 1937.
The W1's older brother, the W2 is at the bottom of this screenie. Slightly longer, it can hold 10 more passengers and is introduced in 1937.
W1 Class passing W2 Class.png (13.56 KiB) Viewed 36795 times
A W1 Class passes a C Class in  a small town. The W1 is sporting the nice new burgandy livery, and was introduced in 1927.
A W1 Class passes a C Class in a small town. The W1 is sporting the nice new burgandy livery, and was introduced in 1927.
C-Class and W1 Class.png (11.89 KiB) Viewed 36794 times
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

Excellent work! I'm looking forward to playing with it! :)
Is there no limit to what can be done with TTD? :wink:
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Oracle wrote:Excellent work! I'm looking forward to playing with it! :)
Is there no limit to what can be done with TTD? :wink:
Diagonal bridges, larger maps, 16-bit graphics. But it all faints in the light of what can and has be done :D.
nilsi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by nilsi »

Wonderfull :-)

A few days ago I tried the tramset and was a little disappointed
having tried locomotion trams earlier.
But this is just wonderfull :-)
Diagonal bridges, larger maps, 16-bit graphics. But it all faints in the
light of what can and has be done Very Happy.
Well diagonal bridges and 16 Bit graphics mit be possible (altough the later not worthwile IMHO)
For larger maps rewriting the whole game seems easier. (although if I ever find time to become a patch developer, I do larger maps just for the fame *gg* )

PS: Thanks Oskar for drive-through busstops ;-)
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Where are trailers for the trams?! :D
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Weeeeeeeh,

Me thinks that Oskar has a nice Christmas present in store for us. :D

Yepeeeh :!:
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Oooh, nice work, I look forward to playing with this sometime. :)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Looking at the way tram tracks blend in with whatever roadset made me wonder if that can't be done for normal rail crossings too (sorry for this OT queston).

Return to “General TTDPatch”