Two Company Colours GUI (Work In Progress)

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Two Company Colours GUI (Work In Progress)

Post by Lakie »

Hi,

I decided to show you all what I've been working on for patchman's Two Company Colours patch.
So What do you think? and any comments on how to make it more user friendly / easier to use?
(Lastest shot at the bottom of post)

Current Development Issues:-
Currently it crashes if you clich the colour scheme button in the company window when the window is open.
Window is not destroyed when company window closed. (Same with when managing another company).
Doesn't limit choice of First colour entries.

Hopefully, over the next few weeks, I'll be able to solve these. :D

Archive of development:-
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3
Screenshot 4
Screenshot 5

~ Lakie
Attachments
Two Company Colours Prototype GUI.png
Two Company Colours Prototype GUI.png (197.73 KiB) Viewed 838 times
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Nice! :D Told you you'd find a stylish yet simple way of doing it. :)
Menno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Menno »

very nice! (but notice that diesel is writtten diesel and not desiel in screenshot 4;))
one thing: how can I use it in vehicles? (i.e. which colour from the standard TT colour palette is now the second company colour?)
*hmz*
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

awesome! now let's hope there'll be a lot of sets supporting it.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Menno wrote:(i.e. which colour from the standard TT colour palette is now the second company colour?)
http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... oordinates
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

I propose the following options:
  • Steam train
  • Diesel train
  • Electric train
  • Monorail/maglev train
  • Passenger train
  • Freight train
  • Bus/Tram
  • Truck
  • Passenger ship
  • Freight ship
  • Aircraft
Each entry should have a checkbox to enable the selection. If unchecked, the global settings are used instead.

For the train ones, each should also have a checkbox saying "Apply to locomotive only". If that's not checked, the whole steam train will get the given colour scheme, no matter whether it's passenger or freight, but if it's checked, the passenger/freight setting will apply to the wagons.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Isn't that an expanded Lomo-approach for assigning vehicle colours? The level at which you could specify colour schemes in Lomo was very adequate to me.
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

I don't remember how the Locomotion scheme worked, but this way gives people the option to colour either by engine type (steam/diesel/electric) or by train type (passenger vs. freight).

Maybe the "apply to loco only" option is a bit overkill, but the rest seems useful to me.
Josef Drexler

No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

PikkaBird
Yes, Sorry about not persuing your idea, but I found it too complex for me. :(
I find the Locomotion Style far more simple and effective.

Menno
Yeah, I've been fixing typing errors in thew strings it uses while developing it.
From what I remember i think it's 80-87 in the ttd palette for the second company colour, also you need to set a bit in the vehicle's action0.

astath
Yeah, I hope many sets will begin to use Company Colours again, Always been fond of Company Colours vehicles.

Hyronymus
Yes, it's based off the locomotion design since I consider that towards the most user friendly gui. :D

Patchman
So the list would be?
* Global Colour Scheme (For when they are not checked)
* Steam train
* Diesel train
* Electric train
* Monorail
* Maglev train (Since I like having them as sperate rails when possible)
* Passenger train
* Freight train
* Bus/Tram
* Truck
* Passenger ship
* Freight ship
* Aircraft

And you want check boxes. (I think they can be added to the gui)
I'll try to change my prototype to add what you want whilest cleaning up the code since it's quite a big mess now, and trying to fix the bugs it has. :)

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Locomotion make a differens between:

Diesel
Steam
Electric (Caternary/3rd rail)
EMU/DMU
Passengers (Including the high speed trains)
Freight
Bus (and tram)
Ships
Aircraft

And that what i currently know out of my head :)
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Well, this isn't Locomotion, so the different classes can be chosen by patchman.
Also why conform to Chris Sawyer's setup, when we can make a new setup to suit ttdpatch? :D

~ Lakie
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

I know its just a little side info :)
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Lakie, I can only comment on what I know from researching trains in the UK and Queensland.

Firstly, locomotives often have different liveries depending on whether they are mainly used for passenger services, or mainly used for freight/mixed traffic. This is especially the case with steam locomotives, but also applies to diesels and electrics.

However, I think that these differences can be made by the graphics creator, rather than needing explicitly different colour schemes.

Secondly, the passenger/freight wagon livery is completely unrelated to the locomotive livery (eg, in the 1960s in the UK, the diesel locomotive livery was dark green, passenger carriages were red and cream, and freight wagons were brown - in the same period in Queensland, diesels were blue, passenger cars were red, and wagons were black). Obviously this doesn't apply to MUs, special train sets etc - this can probably be got around in TTDP by making wagons take the colour scheme of the locomotive if a wagon override is used?

Also, MUs (in TTD terms, any train which carries passengers/mail in the "locomotive") often have a completely different livery from either regular Locomotives, or from locomotive-hauled passenger cars.

So my personal "wishlist" of options would be
  • Steam loco
  • Diesel loco
  • Electric loco
  • Passenger wagon
  • Freight wagon
(where "Passenger wagon" includes mail vans, etc)
  • Monorail
  • Maglev
Do monorails and maglevs need seperate colours for their wagons? Probably not.
  • Bus/Tram
  • Truck
  • Ship
  • Aircraft
There was another idea I had, but I'll save that for IRC.. I don't want to get people excited in case it turns out to be not possible. ;)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

PikkaBird wrote:There was another idea I had, but I'll save that for IRC.. I don't want to get people excited in case it turns out to be not possible. ;)
Aww, that's too bad. Now we have to torture you :D.
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

PikkaBird wrote:this can probably be got around in TTDP by making wagons take the colour scheme of the locomotive if a wagon override is used?
Yes, that should be possible.

I think I agree with your list, although you didn't list DMUs/EMUs separately. Was that intentional? As you say, they usually have an entirely separate colour scheme, so they should be a separate option as well. I'm not sure if we need one or two options (one for DMUs and one for EMUs or a combined one).
Josef Drexler

Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

YES !! AWESOME !! :shock:
I realy like this. I always play with company colours, if possible.
And I specially like the option to give my freight trains different colour sheme then the passenger trains.

The coloured selection signs in the attached image is a neat thing too.
This way you can immediatly see what colour is selected. :D
PikkaBird wrote:Firstly, locomotives often have different liveries depending on whether they are mainly used for passenger services, or mainly used for freight/mixed traffic. This is especially the case with steam locomotives, but also applies to diesels and electrics.

However, I think that these differences can be made by the graphics creator, rather than needing explicitly different colour schemes.
I agree, but I think that you should still be able to override this by slecting your own colours if you want too.
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Patchman wrote:I think I agree with your list, although you didn't list DMUs/EMUs separately. Was that intentional?
Oops.

Yeah, there were supposed to be entries for MUs in there too. :)
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Is it possible to apply 2 company colours to sprite 3097 replaced with action A?
Image Image Image Image
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

2CC only works for vehicles and buildings.
Josef Drexler

George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Patchman wrote:2CC only works for vehicles and buildings.
would it be possible to apply it to that sprite directly? (always?)
Image Image Image Image

Return to “General TTDPatch”