Path-based signalling preview and test version

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Path-based signalling preview and test version

Post by Patchman »

UPDATE - PBS is included in 2.0.1 alpha 42 and higher

Here is^B^Bwas 2.0.1 alpha 41 pre 6, which includes path-based signalling.

PLEASE read the instruction below before trying it, or your train drivers will die, and your passengers. These are not idle threats, I mean it!

Usage:
  • All pre-signals, exit signals or combo signals function as path-based signalling signals now by default (disable with a miscmods setting)
  • Whether these signals are red or green does not matter for whether the train can pass them, except that if the train can't find a route to its destination, it will wait at a red signal, but not a green one
  • The train can pass a signal, if it finds a route past the signal leading out of the signal block or to its destination. It won't find routes that end at red two-way signals.
  • Because track pieces are reserved only if a train approaches or passes such a signal, either all or no signals leading to any signal block must be pre/exit/combo signals. Therefore if any signals in a block are PBS signals, all of them will be converted to PBS.
  • The next signal from any pre/exit/combo signal must be less than 64 tiles or 7 junction pieces away (that's a limitation of TTD's pathfinding)
  • The "reverse" button should be safe to use in alpha 41 pre 4. If it causes problems, please report them.
  • Depots work fine in pre 5 and 6.
  • If track pieces are stuck at "reserved" (dark), try forcing a train to run over them, or bulldoze the tile and rebuild.
Enable the feature with "pathbasedsignalling on". When enabled, "reserved" track pieces will be darkened so you can see which path a train takes. (This only works on junctions, because they don't have separate sprites in trg1r.grf.)

There's also a demo savegame, which I've saved just before a situation that shows off this feature. Just watch Carnley station for a few minutes and be amazed! :mrgreen:

Have fun!
Last edited by Patchman on 20 Feb 2005 18:34, edited 9 times in total.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Awesome feature Patchman!

Had a couple little bugs in my current game though. I had a dropped coupler it looks like. 2 of my locos took off leaving the third behind fouling the junction :P

Savegame is below.
Attachments
Hey Joey, don't we seem to be runnin' a little easier now?
Hey Joey, don't we seem to be runnin' a little easier now?
OOPS.png (40.79 KiB) Viewed 14781 times
Trp27.sv1
Interesting bugs
(332.67 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
JTanczos
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JTanczos »

Another known bug in this patch is trains being stuck at signals indefinitly. Only way to correct this is the "Ignore Signals" button. This appears to be on presignals.

Found a new one with lost trains unable to find depots circling aimlessly until they crash with another train.

JT
14:31:29 * Cctoide brandishes huge syringe, runs after Singaporekid
14:31:46 * JTanczos trips Cctoide causing him to fall on the syringe
14:32:32 * Cctoide sticks syringe full of Ritalin into JTanczos instead
14:35:25 -!- JTanczos [~JT@JTanczos.users.quakenet.org] has quit [Quit: gasps from the sudden shot of ridalin... Thankfully I saved the Singaporekid from any harm! Hopefully my death has meaning in this cruel world. Dont waste it Singaporekid! dont waste.... *gurgle gurgle* *dead*]
14:35:36 < Singaporekid> Booooring.
14:35:38 < Singaporekid> :P
14:35:58 < Singaporekid> Besides, ritalin isn't lethal.
14:36:09 * Singaporekid snags some of it for himself
14:36:29 -!- Singaporekid [~notme@cm233.epsilon122.maxonline.com.sg] has quit [Quit: *GURGLE GURGLE* *lol ded*]
squishycube
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by squishycube »

I don't think this is a bug in the path-based signaing, but I'll just post it.
What's happening:
Train 1 is preparing to leave the station, train 2 is already on it's way to the station. Train 2 is given the go ahead and crashes head on into train 2.

Attached is a single screenshot and 3 other screenshots and the savegame in a RAR file.
Attachments
crash.rar
Savegame + 3 other shots
(492.46 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
chrash3.png
chrash3.png (100.45 KiB) Viewed 14676 times
I heard the stories that they tell of how they labored for this company which sold it's soul to hell

It's my alter ego in my avatar, not me!
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

This looks to me like train 2 was already in the signal block when you switched to a41pre2. Stopping train 1, waiting 'til the northern train reaches the station (which seemed to require rebuilding one of the sets of signals), and then letting train 1 go again cleared up the problem.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
squishycube
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by squishycube »

Found another problem. Track disapears when a junction is build on a slope.
Maybe this has something to do with the darkening of the tracks not being compatible with the buildonslopes patch.
Attachments
notrack.png
notrack.png (65.77 KiB) Viewed 14646 times
I heard the stories that they tell of how they labored for this company which sold it's soul to hell

It's my alter ego in my avatar, not me!
SuperTycoon
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SuperTycoon »

Ouch! This looks like a good feature, but with only games - *shudders* 23 Train crashes, 2000+ bodies, all within 3 seconds of loading the game
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

I think I have discovered a bug in the path-based signalling:

The graintrain on the straight track on the right has to wait for the train coming out the tunnel.
The upcomming trains un the bottum and left get a green (darkened track) from the path-based signaling and will crash onto the waiting train. :(
As you can see all the incoming and exiting signals from the path-based signalblock are presignals.

I also found a solution to this perticular problem at least : DON'T BUILD A SIGNAL DIRECTLY BEHIND THE PRESIGNALS !!!!
Attachments
As you can see here now the path-based signaling block isn't darkened so the trains won't crash, just by removing some signals :)
As you can see here now the path-based signaling block isn't darkened so the trains won't crash, just by removing some signals :)
SCR43.png (60.64 KiB) Viewed 14513 times
In this setup the trains will crash.
In this setup the trains will crash.
SCR42.png (61.87 KiB) Viewed 14518 times
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

There remains of course one problem with this : if the train has to wait longer then the signalwaittime setting there still will be a crash.........
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Rob wrote:The graintrain on the straight track
The 2xBR103 grain train?
Naughty naughty naughty.... :wink:
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

It's an old game, without the wagonspeedlimit setting.
The br's have lost their meaning for freight (heigh speed) now so I could replace them :)
Still the best OS around
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

Another problem : trains that are "lost" or are on the wrong track can't pass a presignal exit signal.
Attachments
The station in view is Hulst Woods, and the train has to go to Hulst Mines, which is further to the right on this picture. The signal is green but the train won't move an inch.
The station in view is Hulst Woods, and the train has to go to Hulst Mines, which is further to the right on this picture. The signal is green but the train won't move an inch.
SCR44.png (40.06 KiB) Viewed 14469 times
Still the best OS around
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

And another oddity : The train on the right won't enter the path-based block in front of it until the previous passed train in front of him, passes the path-based block he is on at the moment.
Attachments
Now the first train(on the left) has passed his path-based block the train on the right gets a free (darkened) block so he can pass at last.
Now the first train(on the left) has passed his path-based block the train on the right gets a free (darkened) block so he can pass at last.
SCR46.png (56.23 KiB) Viewed 14439 times
SCR45.png
SCR45.png (57.03 KiB) Viewed 14439 times
Still the best OS around
hovering teacup
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by hovering teacup »

in these screenshots signals with red hat is presignals, yellow exit signals, orange combos.
tell me if you like the save
Attachments
the train stops without signals...
<br />when i pushed &quot;ignore signal&quot; it advanced two tiles and stopped again. ordered &quot;ignore&quot; again and the problem dissapeared.
the train stops without signals...
when i pushed "ignore signal" it advanced two tiles and stopped again. ordered "ignore" again and the problem dissapeared.
Clipbo.png (8.91 KiB) Viewed 14374 times
it stops before a green light. &quot;ignore&quot; and it stopped again before a green. &quot;ignore&quot; again and then it chose the wrong route. (the signal leading to the wrong route is 2-way)
it stops before a green light. "ignore" and it stopped again before a green. "ignore" again and then it chose the wrong route. (the signal leading to the wrong route is 2-way)
Clipb.png (31.49 KiB) Viewed 14374 times
the signal ahead is red and the train advanced.
the signal ahead is red and the train advanced.
Clip.png (15.66 KiB) Viewed 14374 times
TrueSatan
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TrueSatan »

Don't know if some is interested but i've done a working layout with
the new patch. only for testing. strange enough the coaltrainz on this layout won't run with the new pathfinding. and i found out that the new pathfinding is not working if you send the train to the nearest station from the traindepot you've build it.
tests with old layouts always lead into crashes ;-)
nice work patchman :-)

edit: i know now why the new system is not working for my coaltrains.
if the station is to far away then it seems that the pathfinding system doesn't
find the correct route for the new switching of signals. solution was to include a few waypoints then the system is running relativ smooth ;-) i'm looking forward for the next version of the patch :-)
Attachments
TRP03.SV1
only for testing
(231.44 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
Colonel Sheperd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Colonel Sheperd »

Nice station TeaCup, sorry if i can't ask, but is that station released? If yes, where?
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Wow. What an impressive patch! This will make station interlocks enormously more efficient, and improve operations immensely. When it's finished of course.

Possibly it might also make multitrack systems work automatically instead of having to manually send passenger trains onto the high-speed track as currently, by allowing the trains to zig back and forth so as to pass each other.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
hovering teacup
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by hovering teacup »

(sorry for OT i wont post more on this in this thread)
@simmer
these stations are not in an independent grf, i replaced the default graphics with them.
i'm thinking of doing some station grf and these images will be part of it, but not yet started anything so i can't say when it 'll be finished.

BTW this roof is just a quick conversion of default graphics into a more straight-lined thing but it's true it looks miraculously more cool :mrgreen:
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

hovering teacup wrote:these stations are not in an independent grf, i replaced the default graphics with them.
i'm thinking of doing some station grf and these images will be part of it, but not yet started anything so i can't say when it 'll be finished.
Post the sprites in the New Stations thread so Szappy can code them into the master set.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

I've just been testing this new feature, and it's awesome - well, awesome in allowing a lot of new interesting things concerning stations, and awesome in the way it broke my old savegames ;-). Anyway, most bugs I encountered have already been mentioned, such as breaking couplers upon loading old savegames and trains waiting at green signals.
I did a quick test in a new game, and it ran very smoothly, apart from the one thing in the pictures, but I wouldn't say that's a bug, but a feature of the new pathfinding. Thx a lot for this new feature :-)

EDIT: The last picture is slightly wrong, as the new order actually was a direct-goto, i.e. do not stop at the station.
Attachments
A small change in the orders resolved this problem.
A small change in the orders resolved this problem.
after.png (58 KiB) Viewed 14008 times
This train is not scheduled to stop at the station, it's next order is the waypoint, but it can't find a route and waits at the signal.
This train is not scheduled to stop at the station, it's next order is the waypoint, but it can't find a route and waits at the signal.
before.png (57.83 KiB) Viewed 14009 times
Just a quick test run with a station I wouldn't normally build this way... Works like a charm.
Just a quick test run with a station I wouldn't normally build this way... Works like a charm.
1.png (54.15 KiB) Viewed 14008 times

Return to “General TTDPatch”