TTD internet game?

Old messages from the Transport Tycoon forum at owenrudge.net.
ivan
Engineer
Engineer

TTD internet game?

Post by ivan »

Is it possible to play Transport Tycoon Deluxe via internet (with cable modem)?
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re:TTD internet game?

Post by orudge »

Not really, no. Some people have got it working with an IPX over TCP layer (I don't know where to get one), but not very well.
Myren
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Myren »

The windows version (the one found in the Tycoon Collection) has TCP/IP as one networking option. Have you heard anything about that working any better?
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I've heard multiplayer in the Windows version is meant to be worse than the DOS version. I'm just getting a network set up soon (I only have a serial cable between two PCs at the moment, of which only one has WinTTD, but the network will have three computers, two of which have WinTTD) and will experiment with the Windows multiplayer.
Myren
Engineer
Engineer

LAN

Post by Myren »

A few years ago me and a friend played a full game over a local network using IPX in the old DOS version. As I recall everything went without any major problems. The game did become a bit slower than when playing alone though.
Internet play is a completely different matter I guess...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

You can't play TTD (DOS or Windows) via the Internet without some special software anyway. Also, I have played a multiplayer game via serial cable with the DOS version successfully, but most of the multiplayer games I've played have gone out of sync sooner or later.
Snakerboy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Snakerboy »

cant you make a vpn a (virual private network), between you and your mate then use a normal like lan game, cuz that how you can get around playing Tony hawk 2 over the net
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

You can do that, but it is very likely that the game will still play very slowly - I think a 25ms delay time is the maximum for "normal" play, IIRC.
Haunted Reality
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Haunted Reality »

My wife and I both enjoy playing TTDX, how do we play each other? The computers are no more than 5 feet apart, what kind of cable would we use and how do you set it up. We tried once, but failed, didn't know what COM to use. Any ideas? 8O
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

You could use a serial cable between both computers. If you have a serial mouse on COM1, you will need to plug the cable into COM2. If you don't have a second serial port, you will need to use a PS/2 mouse instead of a serial mouse, and plug the cable into COM1. I don't know about your exact setup - you will also need to check if you have 9-pin or 25-pin ports - some older computers have both, while most new ones only have 9-pin ports.

Return to “Owen's TT Station Forum (Archived Posts)”