Missing sound files in Win version.

Old messages from the Transport Tycoon forum at owenrudge.net.
starionx

Missing sound files in Win version.

Post by starionx »

I downloaded the Win95 version, installed it, then installed the TTDpatch. Everything seems to work perfectly, but I seem to be missing the Midi files. I know the sound is working because I can hear the Effects. When I click on the Sound icon, there is no song title showing in the player (but all the songs are listed in song lists.
Am I just missing the sound files, and if so, can I download them from somewhere?

All help gratefully accepted. :D
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

is there a ttdconfig program in your TTD game directory ?
if yes, then use it and select soundblaster awe32, this worked for me !
the music directory is called gm and the files are : gm_tt00.gm thru gm_tt21.gm
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Also, if you have a modern system, General MIDI will offer the best quality music (especially if your card uses the Microsoft DirectMusic MIDI synthesizer).
starionx

Post by starionx »

I have found the sound file folders, so they are there, but I've tried to change to all 3 choices in ttdconfig, but still get no music. I'm running Win98, 800mhz Duron processor, 512mb ram, and have an SB128 sound card. I've even tried renaming the files using mid extensions, but still no songs in the TTDX player (but the files play just fine in Winamp when renamed to mid extensions :roll: ).
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

That's odd. This may seem obvious, but is the music volume turned up in the game itself? Also, if you double-click on the volume control icon in the taskbar, is the MIDI volume turned up?
starionx

Post by starionx »

Getting sound is not the problem, as I hear the sound effects (and yes, the music volume is up high as well :) ). It just seems that the player isn't playing anything (the track is not listed, just a number of dashes ---- ----- ----). I've pressed the play, FF, REW buttons... I just can't get any tracks to show. I've created custom playlists, they don't work either.

Very frustrating. :cry:
starionx

Post by starionx »

Oh and yes, the midi volume is high (otherwise I wouldn't be able to hear the midi songs in Winamp). :)
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

is it the latest patch that you are using , i have the alpha 14
have you tried other forums , perhaps there are people there who can help you
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Try reinstalling the game. If the problem still doesn't go away, you may want to post a message on alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc.
starionx

Post by starionx »

Ok. I'm going to uninstall/reinstall the game, then check the sound before I install the Patch. I'll do that tonight.

Thank all, for trying to help. :D

Return to “Owen's TT Station Forum (Archived Posts)”