More Problems with TTD and Windows XP...

Old messages from the Transport Tycoon forum at owenrudge.net.
Dan Martin

More Problems with TTD and Windows XP...

Post by Dan Martin »

Hi all, first time posting to this list. Bear with me :wink:

Righty. I've played TTD in the past on win95 absolutely years ago. And wanted to try and get it to run on XP. So I went out and purchased the TTD for Win95/98se/Me and downloaded the 1.8 patch for it to run in XP.

First off, when I run the ttdpatchw.exe file in the command prompt, it comes up with the following:

TTDPatch V1.8 (Windows) starting.
TTDLOADW.OVL not found, looking for original files:
GAMEGFX.exe: No such file or diectory
Could find neither TYCOON.EXE nor GAMEGFX.exe

Let me quickly assure you that the patch IS installed to the TTD directory.
I noticed that I have a TTDX.exe file which I presume is to run the game, and a TYCOON.bat file. But none of the files that the patch program is trying to work...When I double click on the TYCOON.bat file, it comes up with cmd.exe errors saying:

"C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
The system cannot open COM(#) port requested by the application. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application"

I click on Ignore and it cycles through the com ports, and eventually loads the game, but it has neither the sound nor music. And after about 10 seconds, it closes back to windows.

I've tried everything and I'm biting my nails out that I cannot play this fantasic game. I'm thinking it may be a problem with my motherboard and it's on board soundcard (evil evil). It's a K7VZA from elitegroups.

Any suggestions guys? Would be fantastic if I could get this working.
I appreciate any help or suggestions.

--Dan
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Hey,

1. i see you have the dos version , you are in trouble then
2. you applied the windows patch , this can not work

i have the windows version (it's free !!!) and it works fine under XP

just for your problem i did the following:
i downloaded the dos version and applied the dos patch and got the same com3 problems, i ignore 2 times and after 10 seconds the program stops

this is what i found on the site of the TTD patch:

http://www.ttdpatch.com/doc.html#faq

I get an error message about opening a COM port.
This error message means that you have the DOS version of TTD, and are trying to run it on Windows NT, 2000 or XP. Currently there is no known way of doing that, only the Windows version of TTD runs on these operating system, and only if you follow the above instructions. You can tell the difference between the versions by a "Fish UK" logo with a fish on the title screen, which only appears in the Windows version. If you don't see this logo, you have the wrong version of TTD. Unfortunately the Windows version is very hard to find in shops, so you may have some trouble trying to buy it.

so my advice is:
1. get the windows version from the internet (hope you have a good connection)
2. download the patch for windows, lots of help on this forum
3. have fun

or

bring your legal copy back to the store and demand the windows version
(i don' know if it's for sale)
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Yes, you need the Windows version - see the thread "New TT Download Locations" for some places you can get it.

Return to “Owen's TT Station Forum (Archived Posts)”