Correct Air Routes...

Old messages from the Transport Tycoon forum at owenrudge.net.

Correct Air Routes...

Post by Guest »

After 6 years of playing I still can not figure out the most profitable air routes. Should I just go from one city to another then back to the first city OR should I go from city to city to city then BACK to the first city? Also should all the stops be set on FULL-LOAD?

-Black Tycoon
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I go from city to city, and I don't have full load turned on. The options you want to use will depend on how many passengers are at the airports, the distances between, what types of planes you have, and so on.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

planes are difficult, in the beginning you have small airports, if you put 2 planes with full load, they will do that at the same airport leaving the other one with bad percentage
i think best is 3 planes and 2 of them with full load in 1 station
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

from the Relatively holy church of Transport Tycoon :
Making money with planes

#1: I hear people complaining that aircraft don't make enough money. Twaddle! My aircraft are my biggest earners, once the game is in its stable phase. The trick is that planes earn big money by covering big distances quickly. Do not make planes do little bunny hops from city to city. Let them fly good distances. Imagine the following scenario of cities. (They're not really in a straight line, but city A is closest to B and furthest from E.)

A B C D E

Setting a plane's orders to A,B,C,D,E will result in very short and unproductive bunny hops. The plane will spend more time circling, landing and loading than it will flying. This is what I do : make the planes leapfrog cities. By setting the orders to: A,D,B,E,C the plane gets to stretch its legs and the profits really start improving!

If one city's airport (e.g. city A) is particularly crowded with passengers and the others are average, try this: A,E,A,D,A,C,A,E,B,D,A. This not only keeps the plane flying profitable distances, but ensures that city A gets frequent visits.

#2: Airport congestion is a problem : planes keep circling and waiting for space at an airport terminal when there are many planes all trying to use the same airport. When you have a busy airport, use the biggest planes you can. A couple of big planes will cause much less congestion than 6 small ones. I have found that having more than about 4 planes go to a single airport can cause big slowdowns in passenger handling.

That's another good reason to use plane tip #1 above - by making the planes travel good distances, they don't keep returning to the same busy airport quite so often.

On the theme of congestion. If you have, say, six planes, avoid sending each one to every airport. This could periodically lead to all your planes trying to land at the same airport at the same time. It is better to have planes dedicated to their own airports. e.g. Plane 1 shuttles between cities A and E. Plane 2 serves cities B and D. Plane 3 serves A and C. Plane 4 goes between B and E. Notice how each airport only has a reasonable number of planes that can use it, and each plane gets to travel a good distance and make lots of lovely money.
hope that answers your questions
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

i will try it out
julman

good way to earn from planes

Post by julman »

after 10 years of the beginning you can start making this. find a coal or an iron ore mine or both close to a corner of the screen, then find a power plant or a steel mill close to the oposite corner. build an airport in each corner and buy a plane with capactity to 200 passengers or more. refit it to the desire thing. set the plane(s) to full load and transport the things. borrow money if you need to, you will get about 30,000 or 40,000 $/year by plane, sometimes 60,000 or 70,000... that's a lot of money at 1960 :?
julman99@hotmail.com
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

thanks, will try this for sure !
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: good way to earn from planes

Post by orudge »

julman wrote:after 10 years of the beginning you can start making this. find a coal or an iron ore mine or both close to a corner of the screen, then find a power plant or a steel mill close to the oposite corner. build an airport in each corner and buy a plane with capactity to 200 passengers or more. refit it to the desire thing. set the plane(s) to full load and transport the things. borrow money if you need to, you will get about 30,000 or 40,000 $/year by plane, sometimes 60,000 or 70,000... that's a lot of money at 1960 :?
julman99@hotmail.com
And with TTDAlter 4.06, you will be able to modify industry production so they spit out 2000 tonnes a month, modify a plane so it can carry 32,767 passengers, and make loads of money! ;)
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

cooool... when is it expected to come out?
:roll:
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Black Tycoon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Black Tycoon »

Gonewacko wrote:from the Relatively holy church of Transport Tycoon :
Making money with planes

#1: I hear people complaining that aircraft don't make enough money. Twaddle! My aircraft are my biggest earners, once the game is in its stable phase. The trick is that planes earn big money by covering big distances quickly. Do not make planes do little bunny hops from city to city. Let them fly good distances. Imagine the following scenario of cities. (They're not really in a straight line, but city A is closest to B and furthest from E.)

A B C D E

Setting a plane's orders to A,B,C,D,E will result in very short and unproductive bunny hops. The plane will spend more time circling, landing and loading than it will flying. This is what I do : make the planes leapfrog cities. By setting the orders to: A,D,B,E,C the plane gets to stretch its legs and the profits really start improving!

If one city's airport (e.g. city A) is particularly crowded with passengers and the others are average, try this: A,E,A,D,A,C,A,E,B,D,A. This not only keeps the plane flying profitable distances, but ensures that city A gets frequent visits.

#2: Airport congestion is a problem : planes keep circling and waiting for space at an airport terminal when there are many planes all trying to use the same airport. When you have a busy airport, use the biggest planes you can. A couple of big planes will cause much less congestion than 6 small ones. I have found that having more than about 4 planes go to a single airport can cause big slowdowns in passenger handling.

That's another good reason to use plane tip #1 above - by making the planes travel good distances, they don't keep returning to the same busy airport quite so often.

On the theme of congestion. If you have, say, six planes, avoid sending each one to every airport. This could periodically lead to all your planes trying to land at the same airport at the same time. It is better to have planes dedicated to their own airports. e.g. Plane 1 shuttles between cities A and E. Plane 2 serves cities B and D. Plane 3 serves A and C. Plane 4 goes between B and E. Notice how each airport only has a reasonable number of planes that can use it, and each plane gets to travel a good distance and make lots of lovely money.
hope that answers your questions
Well I tried this method last night. I currently have 5 planes. I tested the method on Planes #1 and #2. After about a year and a half the two planes doubled thier income and my passenger rating increased by 15 percent. It works people.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

TTDAlter 4.0.6 will come out sometime this week - I cannot give an exact date, as I have some important work to do, but it will be out soon.
orc

Post by orc »

planes can earn many money!!

at the first climate, after 1955, the plane of speed 596mph become availble. find 2 city big enough(pop 300+)and locate at the same screen of the minimap, build airport , and then the plane can earn itself in 2 years!!

Return to “Owen's TT Station Forum (Archived Posts)”