Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:12 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:30 am 
Administrator
Administrator

As regular visitors will know, these forums are run on a voluntary basis, funded partially by advertising, but mostly by your very generous donations. While donations are accepted all year, I like to post this topic once a year to try to get enough donations to run the site for the upcoming year.

2015 continued to see strong visitor numbers, with a total of around 100 million hits. The forums continue to do very well, but the server they are hosted on does of course cost money to run. As with last year, we’re aiming for £500 of donations this year (around US $730, or €680), to help cover as much of the expense of running the forums as possible. Your generosity is greatly appreciated, and has been appreciated for many years - without your help, the forums may not exist today. If you could spare even just a few pounds, dollars, euros, or whatever currency you use, to help the forums, it'd be appreciated.

Instead of a single large donation, you may wish to consider sending a regular monthly donation, if this is something you can afford. Hosting for the forums is paid monthly, so this can help to spread things around a bit. If you'd be interested in donating like this, please let me know.

You can find the donation page here. Donations can be taken by PayPal (including credit/debit card payments - you don't need a PayPal account) and direct bank transfer (including international bank transfers). Within the UK, I can also accept cheques and postal orders. If there is another way you would like to donate, let me know and we can figure something out. Your donations are very much appreciated.

Image (GBP) Image (USD) Image (EUR)

If you don't want to, or can't, send a monetary donation, you can use our Amazon affiliate links when you shop at Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.com or Amazon.ca. Again, the donations page here explains that.

Please note that donations to OpenTTD are NOT donations for the forums; the forums and OpenTTD are unconnected (although I process donations for both, they are held and recorded separately). To donate to the forums, please use this link, not the link on the OpenTTD web site.

Thank you all for your support. Please let me know if you have any questions. (This announcement will be removed in the future.)

CURRENT TOTAL DONATED: £516.11 / £500.00 (103%)

Click here to donate!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:45 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

£20 donated to the booze fund :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:34 am 

It keeps removing some of the donated money when I use Paypal, huh?

(Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91) 2016-06-23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:47 am 
Administrator
Administrator

There will unfortunately be a small fee if you make a payment by PayPal. I think you can possibly choose to send a PayPal payment as a "gift" to owen at owenrudge dot net and it'll maybe reduce/remove the fee though.

Thanks very much for all your support so far - we're nearly a fifth of the way there already!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:35 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Good morning everyone!

I hereby tender my annual donation in the amount of £150.00. May your new year be filled with vintage isometrics, properly-compiled nightly builds, and far too many poorly-planned cloverleaf junctions. May the football gods smile upon Iceland this summer at Euro 2016, and while we're at it, let's see Shqipëri notch a 3-pointer, too. And as always, go St. Kilda!

This is Antonin Kyrene coming to you from a VPN connection somewhere in Sau'di Arabia. G'day. :mrgreen:

-Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:13 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks very much, Marc, that's extremely kind of you. As requested via PM, I've split your donation 50/50 between OpenTTD and the forums, so have added £75 into the forum pot. :)

Many thanks to everybody who has donated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:07 am 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Just donated €100 (Should have clicked £80... :P)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:17 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks very much! Extremely kind of you, and takes us nearly to half way. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:18 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Donation sent via Bank Transfer! If it wasn't for the support of this community and throwing ridiculous debate positions at Wave Dorley, I wouldn't have developed such an interest in commercial transport that led to my current job :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:42 pm 

It's about time you employed me as your PA *grumble*

Official TT-Dave Fan Club
Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:32 am 
Administrator
Administrator

JamieLei wrote:
Donation sent via Bank Transfer! If it wasn't for the support of this community and throwing ridiculous debate positions at Wave Dorley, I wouldn't have developed such an interest in commercial transport that led to my current job :D

Thanks very much, Jamie! :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:54 am 
Administrator
Administrator

We're now two-thirds of the way there - thanks once again to everybody for their support!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:27 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Hi Owen,

I will host your domains / forums for free. That's my offer of donation.

Contact me in you're interested.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:26 pm 

TimmyTossPot: That is a kind offer, but Owen runs a server provider called Zernebok and I believe the forums are hosted through them. We have changed hosts once or twice to provide for a reliable host. These forums amass a great deal of data every year.

(Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91) 2016-06-23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:30 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Chrill wrote:
TimmyTossPot: That is a kind offer, but Owen runs a server provider called Zernebok and I believe the forums are hosted through them. We have changed hosts once or twice to provide for a reliable host. These forums amass a great deal of data every year.

I did wonder if zernebok and owen were related, but I assumed you wouldn't be asking for donations...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:47 pm 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Related or not:: that doesn't make it free-of-charge or costs.

DevZone - home of the free NewGRFs: OpenSFX | OpenMSX | OpenGFX | Swedish Rails | OpenGFX+ Trains|RV|Industries|Airports|Landscape | NML

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:56 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Indeed; the forums are hosted on their own server which does cost money to run. While I do run a web host (Zernebok), it doesn't make profit out of the forums (apart from it being rather immoral in my opinion to do so, given I do ask for donations to help with the forums, I'd basically be handing at least 20% of that profit straight to the government in tax, which would seem somewhat pointless).

Thanks for the offer though, and thanks to everybody for their continued support. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:03 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Over three quarters of the way there now - as always, your contributions are greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:54 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Posting here to remind me that I need to do this. Pay day is Friday so shall sort something then.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:03 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Just sent in my donation, nothing major, just a fiver, but wanted to at least put towards the fundraiser this year!

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next