Changes to the moderator team; seeking new volunteers

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Changes to the moderator team; seeking new volunteers

Post by orudge »

As some of you have noticed, Hyronymus has decided to step down from the forum's moderator team. I'd like to thank Hyronymus for his years of service - his work has been greatly appreciated.

Hyronymus's departure from the team, coupled with the fact many of our existing moderators are now quite busy and/or visit less frequently, means that we've been left with a bit of a hole to fill. So, I'm going to ask for volunteers to join the moderation team, which is something I've not done before. If you would be interested in being a moderator on the forums, please check if you meet the following criteria:
  • You must have joined the forums before 1st January 2012. While I appreciate the newer members amongst you may be enthusiastic, it would be preferable to have somebody who has spent enough time on the forums to have built up some experience.
  • You must have made at least 100 posts.
  • You must not have received any official warnings or bans (although discretion may be shown in certain circumstances).
  • You must be helpful and courteous.
  • You must be able to visit the forums at least every couple of days, under normal circumstances.
If you think you meet those requirements, then please send me a private message, with your full name (won't be displayed publicly), timezone, and a short statement as to why you think you'd make a good moderator.

It should be noted that moderating the forums these days involves a reasonable amount of spam removal (most of it gets caught for approval and needs to be deleted), along with an amount of forum policing and maintenance - dealing with reports, issuing warnings, moving posts, etc. With luck you won't have to do too much of the latter! It's not the most exciting job, but it's a job that needs doing.

I won't necessarily accept everybody who applies as a moderator, and I'm not yet sure how many moderators I'll appoint. It will, no doubt, depend on how many applies, and how good they are. So if you think you're up to the job, please get in touch!

If you have any queries, please reply here. :)
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Changes to the moderator team; seeking new volunteers

Post by Ameecher »

Now to take random guesses at Dave's password until I get in and post on his behalf.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Wow, lots of great applications already. It's going to be difficult to decide! I will keep applications open until the end of Friday, and will try to make some decisions this weekend.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Didn't realize Hyro stepped down. Why doesn't he have the Retired Moderator rank like good old spaceman-spiff has? :))
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

He changed his default usergroup back to Registered Users. If he would like the Retired Moderator title, he can of course have it.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Are you looking for moderators that are more active in certain sections of the forum? Personally I only visit the General, OpenTTD and Graphics Development sections, so if you are looking for someone more active in other sections, it doesn't really make sense for me to apply (if I actually do apply, haven't decided that yet).
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

On the topic of moderators, which kind is Lakie? He's in global, graphics, and TTDPatch groups.

Also, given that you have so many applicants, would I be right in assuming that few exceptions will be made to those parameters listed above?
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Reminds me of a job application :P
Good idea though. Look forward to seeing the outcome.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Transportman wrote:Are you looking for moderators that are more active in certain sections of the forum? Personally I only visit the General, OpenTTD and Graphics Development sections, so if you are looking for someone more active in other sections, it doesn't really make sense for me to apply (if I actually do apply, haven't decided that yet).
At the moment, I'm mostly looking for global moderators, but that said, if you are interested in moderating just a certain section of the forum, let me know. We do have quite a few moderators for the OpenTTD section though, so it's less of a priority right now.
LocoRoller wrote:On the topic of moderators, which kind is Lakie? He's in global, graphics, and TTDPatch groups.
Lakie is (was) primarily a TTDPatch developer, and as such, that was the forum he was originally a moderator for. He became a Graphics moderator when the Graphics Development section came into being. At some point he was added to the Global Moderators group to give him the ability to ban spammers, I believe, but I seem to recall Lakie didn't have time to perform moderation over the whole forums.
LocoRoller wrote:Also, given that you have so many applicants, would I be right in assuming that few exceptions will be made to those parameters listed above?
It depends on the person in question and what they are "lacking" in, so to speak. I do have quite a lot of candidates so far though, so my preference probably will be to go for people who do meet most or all of the criteria.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I've not had confirmation of receipt of my application. When should I consider my application unsuccessful!?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to reply to everybody's applications yet. If you want to know if I've read (and hence received) your application, check your Outbox - if the message is still there, I haven't read it yet. If it's in your Sent Messages folder, then I have read it.

I hope to reply to everybody on Saturday, when I will hopefully decide on moderators (or at least come up with a shortlist).

Thank you to all who has applied so far.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

orudge wrote:I do have quite a lot of candidates so far though, so my preference probably will be to go for people who do meet most or all of the criteria.
Well, at least I meet the postcount criterium 161 times. :mrgreen:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Is there any way to check if I've been warned before? (Or banned but I'm pretty sure that's not happened...)
Last known as: Weirdy
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Become a moderator and check our list of warnings. ;)

In this case, it would appear you haven't ever been warned.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

SkeedR wrote:Is there any way to check if I've been warned before? (Or banned but I'm pretty sure that's not happened...)
AFAIK warnings are being sent by PM, so you should be able to remember those :P

I've been warned once for replying to spam which I didn't do but the message got deleted so they were unable to track wether I was innocent or guilty and thus they removed the warning. So, I should have a clean sheet now. Assuming the little list in the moderator forum got updated :P
Image Image
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I don't see your name in the list, so I guess it did. ;)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Good to know everyone knows I'm completely innocent :mrgreen:
Image Image
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Purno wrote:
orudge wrote:I do have quite a lot of candidates so far though, so my preference probably will be to go for people who do meet most or all of the criteria.
Well, at least I meet the postcount criterium 161 times. :mrgreen:
Argh, I merely meet the postcount a lacklustre 127 times.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Jacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Jacko »

I probably got a trivial warning when I first Joined,
but then I have beaten the required post count some measly 21 (not 22) times since :D
"O2 is for noobs, real people breath O3" ~ said sometime by Me

All comments from me may or may not be true and do not take them word-for-word

Feel Free to join me and some other people in The Nations Game - its actually quite fun.

1000th Post at Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 am
2000th post at Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:22 am
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Purno wrote:Didn't realize Hyro stepped down. Why doesn't he have the Retired Moderator rank like good old spaceman-spiff has? :))
I'm not a rank fetishist, I'm perfectly happy with my registered membership.

Return to “News”