Clock changes

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Clock changes

Post by orudge »

As usual, it's the time of year where most of the world that observes daylight savings time changes their clocks (in the case of North America, you already did this a couple of weeks ago.) The forum timezone stays on UTC all year round, so if you're now entering (or leaving) DST, head into your User Control Panel, click Board Preferences, and tick (or untick) the DST box as appropriate.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Clock changes

Post by FooBar »

I just didn't bother changing it last time, so now it's correct again :P

This does explain why my phone told me today that the clock was changed (and I didn't know why it did that). I managed to miss all media attention about it. But I guess this counts as media attention :)
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

I have never understood why phpbb cannot manage to do this itself? is there a plugin or something that could do it?
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Because unless you specify the specific location (and in some cases city) you're in, how is it meant to know whether to change the timezone or not? We could give it access to the UNIX timezone database, but that's a pretty long list.

Not everywhere observes DST, and not everywhere observes it at the same time, so it's a lot easier to just have people change the setting themselves.
Edd.Dragon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Edd.Dragon »

I have never understood why phpbb cannot manage to do this itself?
Timezone knowledge not needed if process timestamp to string convertion on client (using JS).
Phpbb dont do it. So, it is easier and reliably to ajust setting instead of using various rules depending on country. For example, in Ubuntu(!) 11.10 without updates my (Ukrainian) time was showed incorrectly! After update it come correct. And in 10.10 also was correct. Whose, I must to have ability to correct settings myself.

P.S.: For now Ukraine and Russia no longer will change time! :D

Return to “News”