Copyright-infringing on the forums

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Copyright-infringing on the forums

Post by Hyronymus »

As you may have noticed there is a discussion about copyright-infringement in some Locomotion mods released by a forum member. It may be no surprise that the forum moderators do not tolerate any kind of copyright infringement to take place on this forum. It is for that reason that I have asked the forum member to remove ALL links on this forum to copyright-infringing mods within 24 hours.

If you have downloaded any of the copyright-infringing Locomotion mods we strongly advise you to keep those files to yourself at all time and not exchange them publically as these mods are "contaminated".

It may be necessairy to change the current forum rules on copyright to be more precise, clearly the function of this forum has moved beyond the original aim and coverage provided by the existing forum rules. Up till then I like to leave everyone with the following tips to prevent copyright-infringement:
  • Asking permission is not the same as obtaining permission
  • When asking permission you can never add a deadline before a reply from the copyright holder must be returned: if the copyright holder never replies you still have no permission
  • Both copyright holder and permission seeker are strongly advised to keep a time-stamped copy of the permission grant somewhere safe

EDIT January 8th 2012:
There seems to be some confusion about the role of the moderator team of TT-forums when investigating copyright-infringements. Our role is not to gather evidence, our role is to make a decision on eveidence presented to us by the copyright holder. Under no circumstances can the moderator team of TT-forums be held accountable by authors for their own failure to keep track of the permissions they granted.

When an author feels that their copyright has been infringed we kindly ask the author to provide the moderator team of TT Forums with the following details:
  • a link to the file or download in question
  • the exact model the copyright-infringement applies to
  • proof of the suspected copyright infringement, e.g. by bringing in older own work or link to older thread showing it
Allow me to stress that the proof part is essential. Allow me to further explain that the moderator team of TT-forums may ask an uploader of copyright-infringed material to remove all links to said material prior to reaching a conclusion on the claim.
(See http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 14#p989756 too)
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Copyright-infringing on the forums

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Where is this discussion? Just checked the Locomotion graphics section and I can't find it...

What graphics are affected?
Without Trains America Stops

Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

There seems to be some confusion about the role of the moderator team of TT-forums when investigating copyright-infringements. Our role is not to gather evidence, our role is to make a decision on eveidence presented to us by the copyright holder. Under no circumstances can the moderator team of TT-forums be held accountable by authors for their own failure to keep track of the permissions they granted.

When an author feels that their copyright has been infringed we kindly ask the author to provide the moderator team of TT Forums with the following details:
  • a link to the file or download in question
  • the exact model the copyright-infringement applies to
  • proof of the suspected copyright infringement, e.g. by bringing in older own work or link to older thread showing it
Allow me to stress that the proof part is essential. Allow me to further explain that the moderator team of TT-forums may ask an uploader of copyright-infringed material to remove all links to said material prior to reaching a conclusion on the claim.
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

With the least amount of facetiousness possible (although I'm aware that some is inherent in the question), and asked out of genuine interest... What about the dubious, or at least untested, nature of the copyright status of OpenTTD? Is it a case of "if/when the copyright holder complains, we will investigate" or similar?
Jon
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

As far as the forums is concerned, OpenTTD's copyright is held by its respective authors, and is licensed under the GPL. As far as the origins of OpenTTD go, I don't really see how that makes much of a difference to the forums themselves at this moment in time, and I don't particularly wish to speculate upon what hypothetical third parties might do should they actually spend time and money trying to investigate it, which so far appears to be unlikely.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

IMO, even if the game was originally decompiled from TTD sources, by now none (or extremely little) of that is left in the source code of OTTD.
OTTD also does not require TTD graphics/sound anymore, so that is not a problem either
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Note also that this isn't a topic to be discussing the legality, or otherwise, of OpenTTD. If people wish to have such a discussion again (not that there's much point), I'll split these posts into the OpenTTD forums.
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

what about BaNaNaS?

if an artist finds his own work on BaNaNaS, can it be removed (and thus break savegame etc compatibility?)
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Check the Terms of Service of BaNaNaS, specifically the first point.

http://bananas.openttd.org/en/manager/tos/
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Terkhen wrote:Check the Terms of Service of BaNaNaS, specifically the first point.

http://bananas.openttd.org/en/manager/tos/
That doesn't actually provide an answer. It just states that it is not allowed to do it, but not what to do when you find your own work on BaNaNaS. I would likely hit the contact button and send an email, but I think it would be good to have explicitly stated what to do and who to contact when you find your work on BaNaNaS while it actually shouldn't be there.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Either way, that's a discussion to be having in the OpenTTD forums, not in this global announcement, so please start a topic there if need be. :)

Return to “News”