The Transport Tycoon Wiki

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: The Transport Tycoon Wiki

Post by planetmaker »

Exactly like that. Thank you.

EDIT: yes, of course. The bot is just another user (pm-bot).
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

JGR wrote:What to me would seem logical is to move the GRF/etc bits, which are common to TTDP and OTTD, to a new wiki.
The present situation where these specs are hosted on the TTDP manual is not optimal. Particularly as TTDP is effectively dead and doesn't support half of the newer specs anyway.
That is exactly what is being done. The NewGRF specs can be found at http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net. The TTDPatch manual and other pages from wiki.ttdpatch.net are migrated to http://www.tt-wiki.net.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

George wrote:
planetmaker wrote:Maybe you have a list of page names (in the cases above they'd be LocationConditions, ECSTVFactory,...) which you want me to run it on. I'll use LocationConditions as my test page to see that it converts it correctly, so please don't edit that particular page till it's done ;-)
like this?

Code: Select all

ECS
ECS (de)
ECS-de
ECS-Ru
(...)
The translation pages seem to be called differently and I don't quite find them. Are they there? Or how are they named?

However, I ran the bot's fix script on all pages supplied and it should have updated them with the tables (mostly) being fixed. There might be the occasional case where it fails as the table does something not too common and my regex to replace stuff failed there. I tried to detect that by looking at the diffs the script gave me before confirming it, but that's not necessarily fail-proof either.

If you have the list of how the translated pages are called, please give it to me, too. Don't include any pages which have been fixed, though; on those pages the script WILL fail.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

planetmaker wrote:If you have the list of how the translated pages are called, please give it to me, too. Don't include any pages which have been fixed, though; on those pages the script WILL fail.
I do not know how Owen imports them. I have only old names.
Image Image Image Image
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Translations of ECS pages don't seem to be imported at all. A search surely would reveil them, but doesn't.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

planetmaker wrote:However, I ran the bot's fix script on all pages supplied and it should have updated them with the tables (mostly) being fixed.
http://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/ECSHBanksTable ?
Image Image Image Image
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Ah, I forgot that one. The script failed on that one quite ugly which was also already visible in the diff I got for each page. Thus I didn't accept the change there.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

For those who are interested, the entire TTDPatch manual should now be updated and fixed (in terms of broken wikicode, etc). I still want to do work on it to improve navigation and readability, etc, but that'll happen as and when I have the time. :)

Other parts of the wiki still need work, but I'll see to that as and when I can. Others can, of course, contribute too!
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

I'm not very experienced with legal stuff, but isn't the GPL a bit too strict for the wiki?
As an example, recently I've been translating the ECS vectors, and if my translation is GPL'ed, wouldn't it force George to release the ECS vectors under GPL?
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

My preference would be the GFDL, or a Creative Commons licence, but existing contributors to the wiki/manual would have to agree to relicense their contributions first, which would be tricky to arrange.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Brumi wrote:As an example, recently I've been translating the ECS vectors, and if my translation is GPL'ed, wouldn't it force George to release the ECS vectors under GPL?
Technically yes. To avoid this, you would have to provide George with permission to use your text under a different license. And that's not an ideal situation, given that you're not the only translator.

A solution could be adding a statement to the respective pages that the content on that page is also licensed according to whatever license George is using. This however is a bit tricky, as all content added before this statement is not covered by the new license, so theoretically every contributor to that page should give permission for the new license.

Also, technically, the translations from the old wiki are governed by normal copyright laws, which give George no rights whatsoever to use the translations added to the old wiki. I know that's silly, because why would you translate something if you subsequently don't give permission to use it, but it is what the law dictates. Given that it is highly likely that every ECS vector translator actually translated the text with the intention to have it included in the actual ECS vectors, it can be assumed that every translater has given implicit permission to accept the license that George is using.

Therefore the statement I talked about earlier can and should be added to the ECS vector translation pages without the risk that anybody will go to court. And if so, a judge will probably rule the same as I just reasoned. Note that this only applies to the ECS vector translation pages. The license of the other content is a whole different can of worms.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

orudge wrote:My preference would be the GFDL, or a Creative Commons licence, but existing contributors to the wiki/manual would have to agree to relicense their contributions first, which would be tricky to arrange.
You'd have my consent to re-license any of my contributions under CC-BY or anything compatible (that should cover all reasonable licenses).
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

I think we are picking at nits on this licensing issue. A wiki, by it's very nature, invites voluntary contribution and is open to edit by all comers. George's acceptance of this fact is confirmed and acknowledged by the mere fact that he chose the old wiki to upload his work and, after a bit of discussion and clarification he accepted the transfer to the new wiki where voluntary contributions and edit is still open to all comers. Any license implied or imposed by the wiki should cover any issues. Any contributor should know that their contributions are open to the world for editing, after all, by their simple act of voluntary contribution, they have already accepted and participated in the process. Conclusion? The wiki's terms have it all covered.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

wallyweb wrote:The wiki's terms have it all covered.
There's no general accepted "wiki's terms" - and general copyright laws apply in the internet as well as in the offline world. And in order to do exactly that, using it in a "free to edit and cite" manner, is what the license makes sure.

Just assuming "people who edit a wiki allow their work being used whereever" is not something which will save you in court. And "after a bit of discussion and clarification he accepted the transfer" is exactly what this license makes unnecessary in the future. Just assume this would be needed to be discussed with 100 people, 30 of whom you have no valid point of contact anymore?

As such, only using a proper license (also wikipedia does so...) makes it a non-issue.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

planetmaker wrote:As such, only using a proper license (also wikipedia does so...) makes it a non-issue.
And this wiki has not been similarly blessed? Note to orudge ... It would seem that you have a bit more work to do ... :wink:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

You're not very observant, are you? ;) Take a look at the bottom of every single page on the wiki. :)

(We had the whole argument/discussion about licensing when I set the wiki up.)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

orudge wrote:You're not very observant, are you? ;)
I guess none of us were ... :roll:
@Planetmaker:
At the bottom of George's ECS Vector Pages it is wrote:Content is available under GNU General Public Licence 2.0.
Does this not count towards the wiki's terms?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

wallyweb wrote:
At the bottom of George's ECS Vector Pages it is wrote:Content is available under GNU General Public Licence 2.0.
Does this not count towards the wiki's terms?
I am well aware of that. I was just under the - possibly wrong - impression that you considered it unnecessary, and so the discussion which was held upon transition.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

BTW, I think OTTD wiki should be integrated into tt-wiki
Image Image Image Image
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, that could still happen, particularly since we're now running the same software. Licensing issues would probably have to be sorted, though, as well as figuring out a structure, so I don't see it happening any time soon, but never say never.

Return to “News”