The Transport Tycoon Wiki

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The Transport Tycoon Wiki

Post by Hyronymus »

Owen, can you add the Flash plugin to the Wiki so Flash objects are available to run on the Wiki? The required plugin is http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OFlash.

It will allow the Dutch Trainset team to merge a new-to-make Wiki entry about the set with the cool downloadsigns we really don't want to drop. But maintaining 2 sites isn't something we want either. And perhaps other users of the Wiki like Flash too.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I would probably prefer not to add a Flash plug-in, but if others don't object, then I guess I could. Can you not reproduce what you want to do with standard images, perhaps?
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

orudge wrote:I would probably prefer not to add a Flash plug-in, but if others don't object, then I guess I could. Can you not reproduce what you want to do with standard images, perhaps?
Uhm, I have to ask around if that's possible.

Enjoying the weather btw (Facebook hint)?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I'd not see any flash content either way as it is switched off on all my machines; it most often eats cpu quite pointlessly.

Just my 2ct.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Just stumbled across the user rights, are the following rights necessary for every user?
Move pages (move)
Move pages with their subpages (move-subpages)
Move root user pages (move-rootuserpages)
Override files on the shared media repository locally (reupload-shared)
Purge the site cache for a page without confirmation (purge)
I also doubt it is necessary that they can create/edit the Privacy Policy, Disclaimers and About TTWiki.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Hmm, I don't see that users shouldn't be able to move pages, although perhaps some of the permissions could be tightened a bit. I'll look into it.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Re: Define result of failed var 0x7E procedure calls wrote:
DaleStan wrote:Committed to TTDPatch in r2367
planetmaker wrote:EDIT: added info to wiki
ttdpatch/repository/revisions wrote:2367 - 08/22/2011 04:31 am - Dale McCoy - (By Hirundo) Define the result of a failed procedure call to be 0xFFFF.
So where in the new wiki is r2367 hiding?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

wallyweb wrote:
Re: Define result of failed var 0x7E procedure calls wrote:
DaleStan wrote:Committed to TTDPatch in r2367
planetmaker wrote:EDIT: added info to wiki
ttdpatch/repository/revisions wrote:2367 - 08/22/2011 04:31 am - Dale McCoy - (By Hirundo) Define the result of a failed procedure call to be 0xFFFF.
So where in the new wiki is r2367 hiding?
I specifically linked the section I edited and a wiki has a history... . :roll:
"Supported by OpenTTD 0.60.6 Supported by TTDPatch 2.6 (r2367)2.6 If the chain ends in a regular action2, the returned result is 0xFFFF. For earlier versions of TTDPatch the variable 7E value was undefined in this case. "

As OpenTTD's compile farm was completely written from scratch when we moved servers, and it had some birth problems, this might apply to the compilation of TTDPatch nightlies, too.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

planetmaker wrote:As OpenTTD's compile farm was completely written from scratch when we moved servers, and it had some birth problems, this might apply to the compilation of TTDPatch nightlies, too.
Perhaps orudge could be enticed to engage the services of a reliable midwife. :roll:
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

wallyweb wrote:
planetmaker wrote:As OpenTTD's compile farm was completely written from scratch when we moved servers, and it had some birth problems, this might apply to the compilation of TTDPatch nightlies, too.
Perhaps orudge could be enticed to engage the services of a reliable midwife. :roll:
I'm not quite sure what the compilation of a nightly has to do with the wiki itself nor why you make orudge responsible for compilation of TTDPatch nightlies... which is done on OpenTTD's server which is somewhere else but not in his premises and something totally independent of wiki.

Anyone would be welcome to write and host its own reliable compile farm or build process for its nightlies. Interesting that it obviously took two month(!) since the CF was moved and switched before someone noticed that TTDPatch nightly compilation might not work and sadly no-one was actually bothered to test whether it works... (and also OpenTTD's own build process still had its small glitches during the last release build)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

planetmaker wrote:I'm not quite sure what the compilation of a nightly has to do with the wiki itself nor why you make orudge responsible for compilation of TTDPatch nightlies...
The TTDPatch nightlies were (are?) available via the Source Code link found on the main page of the TTDPatch site. As these pages were (are?) the only pages where one could download these files, and as these pages were where the source code and compilations were maintained one would have thought that their preservation would have been a priority when the new wiki was established.

Note that this is not an assumption that Owen be made responsible for the compilations. That obviously belongs in the realm of the developers who had access to a location where the nightlies could be uploaded. Owen's responsibility lay in ensuring that this functionality be preserved when porting the original http://www.ttdpatch.net pages to the new wiki. Understandably setting up the new wiki is a formidable task and perhaps the nightly pages are on a to-do list, but if someone (such as DaleStan) takes it upon themselves to do a bit of developing within TTDPatch, then they deserve the same level of service as they enjoyed with the former site.

As for the time elapsed before this was noticed, perhaps this was because r2367 is the first nightly done since before the port to the new wiki and there was no reason to suspect that this would be overlooked.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Sorry, probably I miss your point... all files I tested seem available, all links I tested work... thus the website seems in the same state of working as it has been for months, also before the transition to a new wiki. What exactly doesn't work except the compilation of the last nightly (which in itself has nothing to do with the webpage)?
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

wallyweb wrote:Note that this is not an assumption that Owen be made responsible for the compilations. That obviously belongs in the realm of the developers who had access to a location where the nightlies could be uploaded. Owen's responsibility lay in ensuring that this functionality be preserved when porting the original http://www.ttdpatch.net pages to the new wiki. Understandably setting up the new wiki is a formidable task and perhaps the nightly pages are on a to-do list, but if someone (such as DaleStan) takes it upon themselves to do a bit of developing within TTDPatch, then they deserve the same level of service as they enjoyed with the former site.
The TTDPatch site itself is not being moved to the wiki. Just the TTDPatch wiki (ie, wiki.ttdpatch.net). The TTDPatch nightly problem is presumably due to the changes to the OpenTTD compile farm. You'd likely have to prod Rubidium about that.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

planetmaker wrote:Sorry, probably I miss your point... all files I tested seem available, all links I tested work... thus the website seems in the same state of working as it has been for months, also before the transition to a new wiki. What exactly doesn't work except the compilation of the last nightly (which in itself has nothing to do with the webpage)?
wallyweb wrote:So where in the new wiki is r2367 hiding?
orudge wrote:The TTDPatch site itself is not being moved to the wiki. Just the TTDPatch wiki (ie, wiki.ttdpatch.net).
This obviously is part of the source of my confusion. One would have thought that the two would go hand in hand, and perhaps they still do, but now only less so. :?
Another part of my source of confusion was New TTDPatch bug tracker, repository browser which seems to be a part of this page which is similarly pointed to from here.
Unfortunately this:
orudge wrote:The TTDPatch nightly problem is presumably due to the changes to the OpenTTD compile farm.
only adds to my confusion.
It would seem that we have a conjunction of events that on the surface would appear to be related, but perhaps they are not. :?

In view of all these events, I have taken my question here.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

wallyweb wrote:Unfortunately this:
orudge wrote:The TTDPatch nightly problem is presumably due to the changes to the OpenTTD compile farm.
only adds to my confusion.
Let me try to explain that for you.

For quite a while now (I don't know the exact date, but it's more in the order of years than months), TTDPatch nightlies are built by OpenTTD's server (which also build OpenTTD nightlies).
A couple of months back, this server was changed and new software to build the nightlies was written. However this software contained some bugs; OpenTTD builds didn't work on all Windowses and now it appears that TTDPatch doesn't build at all.
So r2367 isn't hiding, it just doesn't exist as nightly release.

This bug wasn't discovered before, as there hasn't been an update to TTDPatch since January or so.

The change of the wiki/bugtracker has nothing to do with this. These are managed by Owen. The creation of TTDPatch nightly releases are managed by the OpenTTD guys. I'm sure someone will look into this any time soon.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

FooBar wrote:...
Thank you FooBar. :D
I've updated my post over here. 8)

Return to “News”