Google Search now available on the forums

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Google Search now available on the forums

Post by orudge »

For those of you who have been frustrated with the phpBB built in search system in the past, I'm pleased to announce that we now support searching via Google as well. Simply click on the Search button and use the new Google Search option underneath the regular search box.

It's not guaranteed that Google will have indexed everything, but it seems to have a good amount of the forums indexed.

If you have any problems, please let me know.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Google Search now available on the forums

Post by Ameecher »

Is this why sometimes when accessing the site on Firefox 4 beta 11 I get google 404 pages? A couple of refreshes and the forums return but still a bit annoying.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Hm, no, that sounds quite unrelated. Do you mean that when you're browsing the forums, something like http://www.google.co.uk/vlsdf appears? Since that would seem to be very strange, and I have no idea what would be causing that.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Yes indeed I do, but only when trying to access the index page. Once I'm on that nothing untoward happens. Like I say a few F5's and it's all dandy.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Appears it would not be tt-forums at fault. It is now happening on numerous sites, including the BBC and Google itself.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Do you use some sort of Google proxy server, or something that sends all your web data via Google? Sounds suspicious, anyway, but that's not for this thread.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

orudge wrote:Do you use some sort of Google proxy server, or something that sends all your web data via Google? Sounds suspicious, anyway, but that's not for this thread.
Not knowingly unless the University does. Seems to have stopped doing it today though.

Enough of me derailing the topic though.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Nice work! It can sometimes be more useful than the default search (which refuses to search for short words like "set"

I have an idea to prevent people having to tell noobs to "use the search" and noobs being told to "use the search". Put the search bar right up there on the header, so that it's always there, and you don't have to click on "Search" (This isn't laziness, it's so that more people use the search :wink: )

- Jake
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Emperor Jake wrote:Nice work! It can sometimes be more useful than the default search (which refuses to search for short words like "set"

I have an idea to prevent people having to tell noobs to "use the search" and noobs being told to "use the search". Put the search bar right up there on the header, so that it's always there, and you don't have to click on "Search" (This isn't laziness, it's so that more people use the search :wink: )

- Jake
First off, that would demand a modification of all the themes TT-Forums has to offer. Second, it's (in the TT theme, anyway) quite clearly spotted, with a large magnifying glass right next to the word Search. In the year 2011, most people on Internet should be familiar with the basic layout of a phpbb forum, and be able to find the Search button right up there without much trouble :) The simple fact is, people are too lazy to Search, but not too lazy to make a whole new topic
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)

Return to “News”