Forums upgraded to phpBB 3.0.8

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Forums upgraded to phpBB 3.0.8

Post by orudge »

I've updated the forums to phpBB 3.0.8. If anybody spots any issues, then as usual, please let me know!
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Forums upgraded to phpBB 3.0.8

Post by ChillCore »

orudge wrote: I've updated the forums to phpBB 3.0.8. If anybody spots any issues, then as usual, please let me know!
- When hitting the post reply button and logging in, I am no longer thrown back at the index page.
- I still do not have to enable JavaScript or cookies for the forum to function correctly.

Not really issues, just some backfeed because there was not much noise in this thread. ;)
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

The first bug was indeed fixed (well, the admin login issue that I experienced, which was the same thing). And if the second one isn't an issue, then that would seem to be a good thing too!
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

orudge wrote: And if the second one isn't an issue, then that would seem to be a good thing too!
A good thing indeed.
Which suprises me really as cookies need to be enabled to browse the phpBB forums correctly ...
I was a bit worried that I would have been forced to enable those settings when you announced you were going to upgrade the forum.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

phpBB uses regular sessions which usually get stored in cookies, but in this case that isn't possible and the session id is stored into the URL instead. That way it keeps working without cookies :)
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

XeryusTC wrote: phpBB uses regular sessions which usually get stored in cookies, but in this case that isn't possible and the session id is stored into the URL instead. That way it keeps working without cookies :)
That's why ... I see.
Here's hoping that this never changes here.

I do not care much about the phpBB forum and if I can't follow a simple link to page two it is not worth reading, but I do care about here ... with all those hidden gems everywhere.

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, phpBB has always supported browsing without cookies, in theory. It may have been accidentally broken in the past, but I don't think anybody is planning to intentionally stop it from working in the future. :)
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

I do not know about their policy and this site proves that their software can cun correctly without cookies or JavaScript.

If you want to persuade them to look in the issues I mentioned ... here is the link to my topic overthere.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2106188

Maybe they did not bother much because I am not running a published site, who knows?

Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

I still say you are rather silly for wanting to keep cookies and javascript off
cookies can be turned selectively on/off and javascript is so embedded in the internet that you cannot avoid it (runescape for instance :rolleyes: )
why do you want to keep them turned off?
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

JavaScript has some nice features but also some nasty ones.
Most sites play nice, like this one, but some do not, and by clicking a link you do not always know where you are going ...

- I do not need banners telling me I have won an Ipod or telling me I am the 1.000.000th visitor and would I please click this link to receive a virus.
- I do not crave for pop overs, under and god knows where they might pop up.
- I do not want to be redirected to pages without me telling my browser to do.
- I do not need to have "features" installed automatically because some script says I need it.
- I do not want to have something I typed somewhere being forwarded to someones e-mail adress.

Just checking my mail gives me 51 cookies in 11 folders and not only from msn.
I did not even browse anywhere outside my mailbox other than the inlog page and the msn frontpage after logging out ...

As I mentioned before, somewhere, cookies can be used to track a user's browsing behaviour.
Combine cookies with JavaSript and you have personalised publicity from the highest bidder. (<- I will not go into details but some companies are said to have plans in this direction, and they already have the means to do so because they are almost present everywhere.)

Last but not least without them enabled, pages load way faster because all the things I never look at anyway do not have to be downloaded, processed and rendered by my browser.
Additionally I do not have to remove the crap from my pc as it does not get there in the first place.
I pay for my internet connection and I decide what it is used for.

In short: I only enable them only if I really have to and trust the site, eg. FlySpray and the Coopserver, and disable them immediatly as soon as I do not need them anymore while my recycle bin gets to eat the cookies.

I could go on and on and on but I think the off-topic has gone far enough already ...
If you want to think I am silly for looking at it this way, feel free to do so, that is fine by me.
Enjoy your slow internetz experience. :lol:

ps:
I have never had a virus by browsing even without using virus protection or firewall. Not even on my win98 machine. ;)

Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

ok, i'm with you on most counts

however some things you may or may not know:
firefox settings let you only enable cookies from trusted sites
many sites require at least some simple javascript to function correctly, for example my site, which i am developing slowly, uses javascript for it's menu bar (if you give me a link to a menu bar that doesn't i'll happily change it :wink: )

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

firefox settings let you only enable cookies from trusted sites
Yes until I clear the recent history and then I have to add the exeptions again and again. I can not be bothered doing that.
if you give me a link to a menu bar that doesn't i'll happily change it :wink: )
I'm pretty sure you will find something here for any need you may have: http://www.htmlgoodies.com/ . I used to browse that site when I was messing about myself and it is prety good with lots of example code.
If that fails there is always google ...

Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

Have you thought about a feature request for firefox? You never know, might even make 4.0 :)

Thanks for the link by the way, i'll check it out :D

JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Firefox has extensions for all your ailments Chillcore.

Adblock plus, NoScript, Cookie Safe and if you're feeling like tinkering Greasemonkey will sort you on all those fronts.

The only problem I have is that I have to specifically enable a bunch of domains in Noscript to get some Javascript-heavy sites to work at all.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github

Return to “News”