The forums are 8 years old!

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

The forums are 8 years old!

Post by orudge »

I managed to forget about the birthday of the forums yesterday, whoops. They're now 8 years (and one day) old! Hurrah! Not long until we're in double digits now, eh?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: The forums are 8 years old!

Post by planetmaker »

Ha! Congratulations to the forum and thanks to you and all the other maintainers of this site for this a beautiful ressource for so long and so amiably :-) May it live long and prosper.
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

How long is that in internet years?

Congratulations on a wonderful venue. As I have typed in the past this is a special place inhabited by great people.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

Congrats again, but it's going to be a long time before this forum goes completely quiet :mrgreen:

But, your (orudge) join date says Jan '01, which makes the forums over 9 years...
:?
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Lord Aro wrote:But, your (orudge) join date says Jan '01, which makes the forums over 9 years...
I know this one, I know this one!

This specific forum (TT-Forums) is now 8 years old. However, Owen previously had a different forum which also dealt with TTD. That one was combined with another to form TT-Forums eight years and one day ago.
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

So we have doomed the internet for 8 years now?
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Nite Owl wrote:How long is that in internet years?
Well, just think, in 2002, GeoCities was still king, broadband was mostly just a dream (in the UK at any rate), and "social networking" was rather unheard of. Web sites still had "Best viewed in Microsoft Internet Explorer" logos, and most people were still on Windows 98, yet to upgrade to XP. And alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc still saw non-spam traffic... how times change!

And yes, Pingaware is right - my own Transport Tycoon Station had a forum, which was started in January 2001. Matt Gillard ran TransportTycoon.co.uk (which now points at my site, but was once a completely separate site), and he launched some forums in 2002, I think. We decided in October 2002 to create a new forum based upon our own two forums, and here we are. (If you've ever noticed the "Archived Forums" section of these forums, you can still read the old owenrudge.co.uk forum posts; the TT.co.uk posts are basically any posts dating before the 26th of October 2002 in other sections.)
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Only 8 years? Sometimes it feels it's ages already :)
Congratulations orudge.
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Indeed, Congratulations Owen, you've done an amazing job over the years :)
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
habell
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by habell »

jvassie wrote:Indeed, Congratulations Owen, you've done an amazing job over the years :)

Second that :bow:
Dave

Post by Dave »

I kind of see Owen Rudge as my god on earth, put on this earth to guide and protect us.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Marco
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Marco »

orudge wrote:Matt Gillard ran TransportTycoon.co.uk (which now points at my site, but was once a completely separate site), and he launched some forums in 2002, I think.
Omnislash (who doesn't write anymore on this forum) founded a first forum some 10 years ago. Then around in 2002 his forum "disappeared" (I don't know why, I haven't seen it). As I was searching a forum about TT without success I founded one hosting it on my website but proposing Omnislash to advertise it as the TT.co.uk forum. This forum grow up a lot, and then was renamed TT-Forums after merging with Owen's forum (which at that time was much smaller). If I hadn't founded it in around 2002, maybe TT-Forums would not exist :) (that's why I had the user ID 1 until the upgrade to phpBB3)

The old forum can be seen here (link found by Omnislash in an older thread): http://web.archive.org/web/200208050551 ... h/main.php
I have lost my original user id for 20842 :(
I am one of the founders of TT-Forums! Partly...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Marco wrote:The old forum can be seen here (link found by Omnislash in an older thread): http://web.archive.org/web/200208050551 ... h/main.php
Ah, that old logo, I remember that; I knocked it up in Paint Shop Pro some 10 years ago for Omni, heh. :lol:

He did pop back a couple of years ago, but he seems to have disappeared again now.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Congrats orudge! :)
It has been a really, really long time. Maybe it's time to upgrade to new forum software? ;)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

:shock: Marco, long time no see.
Lot's of people not visiting this place any more and soo bad, it was fun place,
I remember: Omnislash, lynsey, spaceman-spiff, sultana, Mad Dog McKill, Rob, Dinges!
even Patchman and Csaba not visiting here often.

Guys, would love to hear from you, even just 1 post :bow:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Darkvater wrote:Congrats orudge! :)
It has been a really, really long time. Maybe it's time to upgrade to new forum software? ;)
I upgraded the other week to the latest version of phpBB, what more can you want? ;)
SHADOW-XIII wrote:Lot's of people not visiting this place any more and soo bad, it was fun place,
I remember: Omnislash, lynsey, spaceman-spiff, sultana, Mad Dog McKill, Rob, Dinges!
even Patchman and Csaba not visiting here often.
See the "old gits" thread in Off-Topic. Sadly, none of those guys you've mentioned have posted there (yet!), although Rob is still around, I know for sure. Patchman can usually be found on IRC given a prod or two, but isn't particularly active. The others I haven't seen for months if not years. :(
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

There is a substantial change in atmosphere aswell between 2003/2004 and today. Not implying that it's bad, just different. Time flies and things change. :wink:
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

No doubt due to the OpenTTD n00bs asking silly questions all the time ;)
Like me, to be honest
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, also, all of us were 8 years younger, which in many cases put us in our early to mid teens, compared to our early twenties. So I think that accounts for a lot.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

And there have been some pretty global movements. Orudge for a good while (still?) lived in the States. Ameeeeeecher moved to New Zealand for half a year. I moved to Japan, Dave moved to Lancashire, and bwong seems to be jetting from country to country!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.

Return to “News”