The forums are one year old!

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

The forums are one year old!

Post by orudge »

Today is the first birthday of The Transport Tycoon Forums! While the merged forums did not launch until the 28th October, the domain was registered on the 26th, so that's what we'll call our birthday!

One year ago, the owenrudge.co.uk TT forum and the transporttycoon.co.uk (RIP) forums merged to create a new site, dedicated to discussion of Transport Tycoon. The merged site had about 5000 posts and approximately 500 members. The forums continued to grow at a steady rate, and we soon hit 10,000 posts, then 20,000, 30,000... and so on, until we hit 100,000 in September 2003. Unfortunately, due to a problem with our web host, we then lost a few thousand posts and had the 100,000th post all over again earlier this month!

New forums were added for TTDPatch, Transport Master, Simutrans and Transport Giant. The forums were then recategorised and more forums for TTDPatch were added, which have been quite successful, with almost 20,000 posts in the TTDPatch category right now! The Other Projects section has almost 4,000 messages too, which is quite good going considering this is a forum mainly dedicated to Transport Tycoon. As for the main Transport Tycoon forums, there are a good 23,000 posts there. The other 55,000 posts are to be found in the Off-Topic section (originally known as General Discussion), as well as the feedback forum, which has resulted in various adjustments and enhancements to the forum. The Off-Topic forum always has quite a range of active topics, including games such as the Word Game (little did I know how popular this would prove when I started it: it now contains a massive 7,871 posts!) and Three Word Story (another thread which I never thought would become so popular). Other topics in the Off-Topic forum included the popular Pretty Girls thread, and similar kinds of thread (such as "Whatcha listening 2 @ da moment?", "Your Desktop Screens, Wallpapers" and "Photo of yourself??". Of course, we've also had more serious discussion topics, such as discussions about the War in Iraq, religion, train systems around the world, and more. Have a look at some of the earlier Off-Topic posts and see what I mean.

Of course, the forums wouldn't be what they are today if it wasn't for our wonderful users! Yes, that's you lot reading this! Over 1,000 new users joined in the past year, and many of them have grown to post many messages to the forum since their joining. I hope you are all enjoying the forums, and that you will continue to do so for many years to come!

Finally, a special thanks to our administrators (me! Oh, and Omnislash and Marco, of course ;)) and moderators, especially spaceman-spiff, who, apart from racking up a pretty huge postcount of just under 12,500 (!!!), has always been on hand to help and point new users (and the older users sometimes) the right way, and has made sure that things don't get out of control. You know what those Dutch people are like when they've had a few... :mrgreen:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TT-FORUMS!
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Happy Birthday :!: :P
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
top_cat19
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by top_cat19 »

My 200th Post!
Happy Birthday everyone!!!!!
Just look at my fireworks
Currently Playing: Image
My forums: My Forums
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Unfortunately the forums run on GMT, so it looks like that was posted 1 hour too early.
One day later and you would have been OK...
Last edited by Prof. Frink on 25 Oct 2003 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, it's 00:11 BST now (GMT +1), and that's what I use, so that's what I considered to be the beginning of the day. It is actually only 11.11pm GMT (and in a few hours, it'll be GMT again here in Britain), but ah well.
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

Prof. Frink wrote:One day later and you would have been OK...
I think technically we're supposed to put the clocks back at 0100 aren't we?

BTW see my sig.

Edit:
top_cat19 wrote:Just look at my fireworks
Strangely enough, there are actually fireworks going off outside my window.
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Wow - Transport tycoon must be reaaly big where you live! :D
I think the clocks change at 0200 BST -> 0100 GMT
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I set those fireworks off outside your house, dominionspy. ;)

Hmmm, now, come on, let's at least get the word game up to 400 pages. Also, I will offer a prize (I'm not sure what yet) for the person who predicts our total post count by this time next year, and also at Christmas Day this year. The closest hits will get a prize of some sort. You shouldn't really vote for the same thing as someone else.
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

they change at 2:00 AM everywhere.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
CasB
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by CasB »

happy birthday!!!!!!!

Hmmz how long have I been member here? Almost a year or something?

[edit]Hmmz since decembre...time flies[/edit]
Twiggy! (Punkrock)
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

Well, it says right on the little information sidebar attached to your posts what date you signed up on. Figure it out from there. ;P
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: The forums are one year old!

Post by spaceman-spiff »

orudge wrote:and moderators, especially spaceman-spiff, who, apart from racking up a pretty huge postcount of just under 12,500 (!!!), has always been on hand to help and point new users (and the older users sometimes) the right way, and has made sure that things don't get out of control. You know what those Dutch people are like when they've had a few... :mrgreen:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TT-FORUMS!
Oh stop it, you making me blush :lol:
way_2_fun
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by way_2_fun »

Awesome. In a matter of a couple days, I'll be turning a year old, as a member :!:
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

aw, I missed my birthday.....

hey, I'm older than these forums

freaky...
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

Happy birthday indeed. :D

Will be a while for myself to the 1 year mark though. :roll:
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Happy birthday to ourselves, the maintainers of a very nice forum! I hope this forum lasts long enough to become historical, if it isn't already.
Dinges
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Dinges »

Happy bithday to our forum :!:

hehe, my bro has his birthday today too (he's 26 and still lies @ my mommy and daddy's place :? )
Last edited by Dinges on 26 Oct 2003 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
Dinges

Who is the other person in me?

my Blog (dutch) - my Last.fm profile

Owner of http://ttdgraphics.cjb.net/ ! Temp addr: http://ttdgraphics.owenrudge.com/
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

y a y

Happy Mergeday! :mrgreen:

This reminds me of something...

We should do a TT-Forums Yearbook :mrgreen:
Last edited by GoneWacko on 26 Oct 2003 10:16, edited 2 times in total.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Xeo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Xeo »

Happy Birthday :P (how original ;) )
Lalalala
CombatGold1
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CombatGold1 »

:)
Thanks,