*** Forum fundraiser 2010 [£623.14 / £600 raised] ***

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: *** Forum fundraiser 2010 [£355.05 / £600 raised] ***

Post by Rubidium »

Dave Worley wrote:I don't wanna kick it off here but does OTTD's development team contribute anything from their donations for your hosting of pretty much their entire fanbase's work on the forum? I'm sure I'm about to get flamed by every OTTD dev under the sun but surely it'd be fair for them to chuck you a small slice at least?
Well, we have never discussed it with Owen. Although it's a tricky issue: if we start donating to the forums, should we start donating to #openttdcoop too? After all they host the OpenGFX/OpenSFX projects, a number of NewGRF projects and IS2. Should TTDPatch start donating to OpenTTD because we build and host their nightlies, which are arguably the thing that TTDPatch users should be using.

On the other hand, OpenTTD's content server has served almost 6 million NewGRFs, heightmaps, AIs, scenarios, etc. which did not have to come from the forum's bandwidth; it's using roughly 10 GB nowadays (2.7 TB since it began, which is 13 months in trunk and 10 months in stable). That's almost twice of the bandwidth needed for the forums. Although one can argue that lots of these downloads wouldn't have existed if we didn't have content downloading in-game.
JamieLei wrote:But they have massive amounts of traffic which they barely can pay for.
It's not specifically the paying that's the problem, but looking at download statistics of previous releases (e.g. 0.7.0) I estimated that the needed bandwidth would exceed the bandwidth our ISP provides; we were pushing 20+ mbit/s after 1.0.0-beta1, given that the content downloads increased by a factor 10 since the first beta we would be pushing 200+ mbit/s just after 1.0.0. I'm not using the binary download counts because there the betas do not really show up in the statistics I aggregrated. With 0.7.0-beta1 the content downloads shot up by a factor 2-3 (previously it was only available in trunk). With 1.0.0-beta1 the content downloads also shot up by a factor 2-3 (but now content downloads are also available in stable; the content download counts already were 10-15 times higher with 0.7.4 than before 0.7.0-beta1). So it's because we expect the download count to enormously peak; the money thing is something secondary, i.e. to sufficiently handle these 'stresses' we would need at a few mirrors, which means paying for more hardware. So instead of letting companies donate money, we just let them donate some 'spare' HDD space and bandwidth. An added benefit of mirrors is that downloads generally happen from a closer server, which means it should generally be faster and it keeps bandwidth free for the other traffic to our server, which means our server reacts faster.
Solenoid
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Solenoid »

Donated everything I had on my PayPal account, I've been hooked since the original game and when I discovered OTTD I just had to contribute somehow. Unfortunately I'm on a Mac and do not have enough skills yet to help you code this kind of monster, but 0.7.5 works so far so I'm happy :)
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

I'll donate (as always I do) as soon as I'll recharge my PayPal account, go ahead, I love this wonderful community ;)
RMJ
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RMJ »

Would like to donate, but its always so complicated and man oh man do i hate Paypal, only had trouble and bad experience with that site. :-/ The internet needs a new universal donate thingy that just works, and modders and sites like this could just put an easy donate to button.

Also i actully think this site is the one that has the least about of ads of those i use nowadays, not sure if alittle more well placed ads could help also. Just without overdoing it, like say gamespot yuck :shock:

edit: ahhh scratch that, i thought i had to have an account again to donate, i see you can donate without that, well that is just super then. :)

I sent alittle your way
25 euro
ref: 0RW983778B218593G
Feel free to join my server on 90.185.50.242. its coop, meaning 1 company to dominate the whole map :) its more random and not as pro as the Openttd Coop guys.
cullyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cullyn »

Long time lurker thought i'd put my money where my usage is at, $25 USD sent. Thanks for the great site, btw ottd fan.

edit: Wow 12 posts in what 3 years. I am doing well!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Thanks all so far. If PayPal plays ball and actually lets me download my history, I shall update the total again tonight I hope. :)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: *** Forum fundraiser 2010 [£530.72 / £600 raised] ***

Post by orudge »

Apologies for the delay in updating the total. We've now only got £69.28 left to raise to hit our target! Thanks for all donations so far. :)
dinkiy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dinkiy »

id like to donate but i cant :( :( :(
WAAAAAHAAAAAA
find the error
if ur smarter than my im dumb
if ur dumber than me ...
hihi o my name u dont want to now it it has 100 letters and it ends like a fart
error
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

Sorry for being late.
10 Pounds on the way :bow:

I think the target has been reached by now?
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I imagine it probably has, we've had a few donations recently. I've just moved back to the US, so I shall try to get things added up when I have a spare moment, hopefully tonight. :)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: *** Forum fundraiser 2010 [£623.14 / £600 raised] ***

Post by orudge »

We've hit our target! Thanks very much to all contributors, who have helped to keep the forums going for another year. :)

Return to “News”