Reorganisation of graphics forums

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
Beardie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Reorganisation of graphics forums

Post by Beardie »

orudge wrote:Effectively, what would happen is:

TTDPatch Graphics -> Graphics Development
Any specific technical threads (eg, stickies) in the existing graphics forums -> NewGRF Technical Discussions
OpenTTD Graphics -> 32-bit Graphics Development

If any topics are obviously in the wrong forums, they'll be moved. I would also encourage thread authors in the Graphics Development forum to tag their topics as soon as possible (with "OTTD", "TTDP", etc).
Just wondering what is happening with the Graphic Sets Subforums? :)
Previously Known As Beardie27
Check out my UPDATED! Screenshot Thread
Check out my Railway Photography and Deviant Account

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

orudge wrote:So, I propose for now, a new category, after "Transport Tycoon":

Transport Tycoon Graphics Development

- Graphics Development
Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here*.

- NewGRF Technical Discussions
Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

- 32-bit Graphics Development
Discuss or post new 32-bit graphics for OpenTTD here.

* Not that I imagine anybody's making them any more. The really old users around here will remember graphics distributed in EXE format. :D

If people think it's a good idea, I will also add, as the first forum here:

- Graphics Releases
Find all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

I still think keeping the 32-bit and 8-bit graphics separate is perhaps a good idea (I don't recall ever seeing any 8-bit sets that also had a 32-bit version, although maybe I just wasn't looking). But if people think they should be combined, I can do so.
Perhaps it's an idea to add a link-forum to GRFCrawler as a subforum within "Graphics Releases"?

Though your suggestion looks quite good, this system kinda forces me to make a seperate release topic for the Dutch Trainset, the 2cc Set and basicly any other graphic set which doesn't have a seperate release topic yet.

But that's a matter of opinion I guess. I never needed more than one topic for a graphic set.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Beardie wrote:Just wondering what is happening with the Graphic Sets Subforums? :)
Well, I'm still not entirely decided. I think that it would still be a possibility for sets that could justify their requirement for one.
Purno wrote:Though your suggestion looks quite good, this system kinda forces me to make a seperate release topic for the Dutch Trainset, the 2cc Set and basicly any other graphic set which doesn't have a seperate release topic yet.
It's a bit more work for the set maintainers, but it's probably quite handy - I think such a system has worked well for sets like the US Set in the past. But it seems a few people here think it would be a good idea.

There can be a sticky link to GRFCrawler within the Releases forum.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

orudge wrote:
Beardie wrote:Just wondering what is happening with the Graphic Sets Subforums? :)
Well, I'm still not entirely decided. I think that it would still be a possibility for sets that could justify their requirement for one.
That'll give your admin staff some more work though. And possibly a few "Why can they have their own forum and I cannot?"-responds. And what to do with inactive sets which have their own forum? When deleting their forum you'd need move all topics to the general graphic development forum, but would you want several topics for the same set there? Merging could result in a mess too.

I foresee a mess of projects forums within short time, TBH.
Purno wrote:Though your suggestion looks quite good, this system kinda forces me to make a seperate release topic for the Dutch Trainset, the 2cc Set and basicly any other graphic set which doesn't have a seperate release topic yet.
It's a bit more work for the set maintainers, but it's probably quite handy - I think such a system has worked well for sets like the US Set in the past. But it seems a few people here think it would be a good idea.
For the Dutch Trainset and the 2ccSet we always edited the first post and topic title to announce a release. This has always worked and I can't see such a system would be a disadvantage to a set compared to a whole new topic for releases (which often results in posts being made in the wrong topic, as bugs gets discussed in the releases topic instead of the development topic).

Especially since there are sites like GRFCrawler or BaNaNaS, I don't think a forum would be the ideal way to announce releases. IMO sites like GRFCrawler or BaNaNaS should be the place TT players look for Graphics. (OpenTTD already has a ingame download system).

Note that a forum cannot be sorted or queried. The search function only has limited options. I expect a few *bump*-replies just to make sure their release doesn't get off the first page.

TBH, I don't think forum software offers the features you'd want for a collection of searchable GRFs.
There can be a sticky link to GRFCrawler within the Releases forum.
Well, I do prefer it to be in sight as much as possible. I wouldn't want a newbie able to miss it. Perhaps it's even an idea putting a link to GRFCrawler in the description of the Releases forum (the main forum on the index, not a subforum)?

It's about time too that one system gets used for these things, and not several. (Having to upload your GRF to GRFCrawler *and* BaNaNaS is already enough IMO). Perhaps pick the best ones and advertise those to encourage people using those and not trying to setting up a similar system to re-invent the wheel, so to say.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Purno wrote:TBH, I don't think forum software offers the features you'd want for a collection of searchable GRFs.
The intention though is that end-users can post questions, problems, etc, in a "release" thread, while the development thread can remain purely for, well, development. It's not so much that the forum is intended as a search tool, more that it's there as a support forum.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

orudge wrote:
Purno wrote:TBH, I don't think forum software offers the features you'd want for a collection of searchable GRFs.
The intention though is that end-users can post questions, problems, etc, in a "release" thread, while the development thread can remain purely for, well, development. It's not so much that the forum is intended as a search tool, more that it's there as a support forum.
I never saw that much of a support questions that it'd needed their own forum. For my project the few support questions (or bug reports) we got went fine within the discussion topic. That also allowed us to continue discussion about the suggestion/bug/question in the same topic.

Imagine there comes a bug report in the Releases topic, and you'd need to discuss it in the Dev topic. Similar to suggestions. Besides, the people knowing how things are coded and why usually hide in the dev topic. As a project coordinator, I'd rather have to check one topic than two.
Image Image
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Purno wrote:Imagine there comes a bug report in the Releases topic, and you'd need to discuss it in the Dev topic. Similar to suggestions.
Funny, that's exactly what I intended to happen in the double-thread setup we use for OpenGFX and FIRS for instance. Bugs usually don't need to be discussed, just fixed. So you don't want your ongoing discussing in the release thread disturbed by such a bugreport.
And that also applies to suggestions: you don't want silly suggestions in your development topic for the same reason as above, rather just flame them in the release topic and be done with them :wink:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, here's the new layout. I'll be moving and tagging some topics this afternoon as appropriate. And yes, I know that the link icon isn't transparent - I just need to grab an image editor first (something you'd think Mac OS X could come with, but no).

Any problems, queries, etc, please let me know.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Are those said non-transparant links meant to redirect to "You are not authorised to read this forum" or are they meant to both redirect to the new forum/forum category?
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

Try again. Orudge fixed it.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Also, feel free to report topics that are now in the wrong forum, and a mod will get them sorted out.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

I love the new organization, great job and thanks for taking the time!
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

Three minor quibbles; all, of course, are my opinion only.

1) The new section's main title mentions 'Transport Tycoon' but not OpenTTD which might confuse some newer members. Just calling the new section 'Graphics Development' with no mention of a specific version of Transport Tycoon might be a better idea.

2) The placement of the new section between the Transport Tycoon section and the TTDPatch section is a bit odd. It should be between the TTDPatch section and the OpenTTD section.

3) Only the TTDPatch Moderators are listed as having moderator control over forums that also contain much information and many posts about OpenTTD. Not that the OpenTTD development team does a great deal of forum moderation but they should at least have the option to do so and be listed as having the option to do so allowing them to be contacted with a few clicks should the need arise.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Nite Owl wrote:1) The new section's main title mentions 'Transport Tycoon' but not OpenTTD which might confuse some newer members. Just calling the new section 'Graphics Development' with no mention of a specific version of Transport Tycoon might be a better idea.
I did consider that, but that might make people think Locomotion should be included. I would hope the current situation isn't too confusing.
Nite Owl wrote:2) The placement of the new section between the Transport Tycoon section and the TTDPatch section is a bit odd. It should be between the TTDPatch section and the OpenTTD section.
I figured that the best place for it - graphics can be posted there for TTD, TTDPatch and OpenTTD, so it's accessible from all games, as it were.
Nite Owl wrote:3) Only the TTDPatch Moderators are listed as having moderator control over forums that also contain much information and many posts about OpenTTD. Not that the OpenTTD development team does a great deal of forum moderation but they should at least have the option to do so and be listed as having the option to do so allowing them to be contacted with a few clicks should the need arise.
That's a mistake, it should be that the Graphics Moderators groups are listed as moderators, and neither TTDPatch nor OpenTTD. I'm not sure why that's messed up, I shall fiddle with it.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

orudge wrote:... I shall fiddle with it.
Isn't that what Nero said? :wink:

EDIT: Looks good but the Graphics Development topics are in sore need of the <TTDPatch><OTTD> identifiers.
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

It's something I have to get used to but I think it will work out fine. :)
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

I agree Mr. X. The biggest change is that there are so many unread topics in such little time.
The great thing is I used to only read OpenTTD graphics, so I was only informed about those, but now I get to see TTDPatch graphics (and/or) Universal graphics.

Edit:
Nite Owl wrote: 3) Only the TTDPatch Moderators are listed as having moderator control over forums that also contain much information and many posts about OpenTTD. Not that the OpenTTD development team does a great deal of forum moderation but they should at least have the option to do so and be listed as having the option to do so allowing them to be contacted with a few clicks should the need arise.
According to this group, only Lakie has moderator permissions. (Along with Global Moderators of course.)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Owen, can you advertise GRFCrawler (and Bananas?) in the Graphics Releases forum, and advertise tools like GRFMaker in the Graphics Development forum?
Image Image

Return to “News”