The forums are now accessible over IPv6

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

The forums are now accessible over IPv6

Post by orudge »

Like openttd.org, the forums are now available over IPv6. If you have IPv6 connectivity, either via your ISP or via a tunnel, you should now be seeing shiny IPv6-enabled pages. If you don't know what this means, don't worry. If you're curious as to whether you're using IPv6 or not, you're probably not, but you can check for sure here (note that it'll take a few hours for the tt-forums DNS to update).

If you find that the site is very slow to load now (takes a while to connect, etc), please let me know - it probably means your system thinks it has IPv6, but doesn't.

Cheers,
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The forums are now accessible over IPv6

Post by jonty-comp »

Hooray! Now I can pretend I am technologically more advanced than most of the world and enjoy generating bandwidth graphs on the ipv6 interface. :D
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Concratz ;)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

There were a few slight teething troubles earlier, which were quite possibly caused by my meddling with the server (or, well, my VPS on the same server as the forum's VPS) for which I apologise profusely. :oops: I thought I knew how it all worked, but evidently I don't! I have vowed not to touch anything until Owen comes and shows me how to fix things, in case I break the whole server again.
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

Well you set it yourself earlier : :mrgreen:
jonty-comp wrote:Now I can pretend I am technologically more advanced than most....
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
EoD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by EoD »

Nice :)
And another site joins the ipv6 network... If it goes on like this, i don't even need ipv4 anymore to do anything which belongs to Transport Tycoon :bow:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Some stats:

over the past 24 hours, 5,939.2MB of bandwidth was used on the IPv4 interface, compared to 162.94MB on the IPv6 interface, so that would seem to be some 2.67% of total traffic in the past 24 hours being IPv6.
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

It doesn't work for me. :(

I feel backward. ;(
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

My PC is supposed to be IPv6-enabled, but i'm not getting a IPv6 IP, even when i turn of standard TCP/IP wich just leads to no connectivity. Wonder if that's due to my ISP?
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

I'm afraid not many ISPs support native IPv6 yet - in fact, in the UK at least, I believe the infrastructure can't carry it! Most people who claim to have IPv6 are using a tunnel, such as one from freenet6.net. :)
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Yay.

What's IPv6?
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

JamieLei wrote:Yay.

What's IPv6?
Tried to Google for it yet?
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

The Wikipedia article is just a little confusing though, although I get the jist of it.

Hmmm - how come IPv6 deployment has been so slow despite it being 11 years old? My computer isn't IPv6 compatible according to Owen's link, but thenagain it is 6 years old (and miraculously somehow running Vista and not at a snail-pace).
Last edited by JamieLei on 05 Apr 2009 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

In general international treaties or protocol decisions take ages.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Hmmm - but then CSS became far more quickly adopted over basic HTML. And I would have thought that it would have been harder to impliment due to the ease of learning basic HTML over CSS.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

JamieLei wrote:Hmmm - how come IPv6 deployment has been so slow despite it being 11 years old?
How come we're all still using fossil fuels despite the solutions to it being (way) more than 11 years old?

If you have to make an effort, it's not worth it. Until... you can't hold the situation and everyone is running for the alternatives but they can't get it all at the same time because their hardware/software/firmware is outdated and can't be easily updated.
Dave

Post by Dave »

JamieLei wrote:Hmmm - but then CSS became far more quickly adopted over basic HTML. And I would have thought that it would have been harder to impliment due to the ease of learning basic HTML over CSS.
Eeeeeeeh. Tough one to say for definite, but I'd rather attribute the creation of the xHTML/CSS system to the way in which the HTML basic system was (ab?)used.

And xHTML/CSS works pretty much the same as HTML, only in a separate format - you still have to define stuff. It's up to you how much you define and there's a transitional xHTML so pages won't bomb if there's a strict error.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

jonty-comp wrote:I'm afraid not many ISPs support native IPv6 yet - in fact, in the UK at least, I believe the infrastructure can't carry it! Most people who claim to have IPv6 are using a tunnel, such as one from freenet6.net. :)
Some UK ISPs do offer native IPv6. Generally it require new hardware though (modem/router, etc), and until Windows Vista, operating systems (well, Microsoft operating systems) didn't support IPv6 that well.
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

According to the official IPv6-site (top of google), XP since sp2 has included a working IPv6-protocol "intended for developing purposes", but still working.
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

ThorRune wrote:According to the official IPv6-site (top of google), XP since sp2 has included a working IPv6-protocol "intended for developing purposes", but still working.
It works, but it isn't particularly user-friendly. Ordinarily you shouldn't need to configure it anyway, but it's probably still a better bet to use in post-XP systems.

Return to “News”