Username change requests

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
Mondane
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Username change requests

Post by Mondane »

I would like to have my username changed to "Mondane".

Thanks!
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Hyronymus wrote: I requested my username change years back [...]
Owen doesn't allow usernames with less than 3 characters.
Sorry, I neither find your request in the "change username requests" topics of 2004 nor 2005 (or newer). Could you please point me to that particular post?

And I don´t find a rule restricting user names to 3 letters minimum in the "Official Forum Rules" topic either.

regards
Michael
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

michael blunck wrote:
Sorry, I neither find your request in the "change username requests" topics of 2004 nor 2005 (or newer). Could you please point me to that particular post?

And I don´t find a rule restricting user names to 3 letters minimum in the "Official Forum Rules" topic either.

regards
Michael
But Owen informed you about the rule, didn't he so now you know there is a rule. Believe me, he didn't make it up yesterday.

About my request: can't find it either which is somewhat strange. I was positive I made the request on the forum and not by e-mail. Could've been a PM too.
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Hyronymus wrote:
michael blunck wrote:

regards
Michael
But Owen informed you about the rule, didn't he so now you know there is a rule. Believe me, he didn't make it up yesterday.

About my request: can't find it either which is somewhat strange. I was positive I made the request on the forum and not by e-mail. Could've been a PM too.
I definitely recall the nick "Hieronymus" from some point in the past, before you were a moderator I believe! Not that my word alone counts for anything.

I don't want to disappoint you both, but I'm with Owen on this one. Once you start deleting users to satisfy another user's desires it may well open the gates to all sorts of requests. It might seem a bit silly, but of course everyone knows you two on the forum by the nicks you have now!

/probably fails at trying to sit on the fence as usual
Beardie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Beardie »

What surprises me is that both them usernames you want are taken, were on the other hand i am the only person on the forum that has a username with the word "beard" in it, which to me is quite surprising, because mostly the word beard is quiet common in usernames on other websites compare to usernames like Hyronymus and Hieronymus.
Previously Known As Beardie27
Check out my UPDATED! Screenshot Thread
Check out my Railway Photography and Deviant Account

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

michael blunck wrote:And I don´t find a rule restricting user names to 3 letters minimum in the "Official Forum Rules" topic either.
It's not listed in the rules, but if you try to register a new user with less than 3 letters, phpBB won't let you.

In fact, phpBB 2.x actually had problems with less than about 3 letters in a username (which is why you could never search for r's posts, and he had to be renamed to _r_). phpBB 3 doesn't have such problems, but it is still the case that, on tt-forums, usernames must be at least 3 letters long.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

orudge wrote:
michael blunck wrote:And I don´t find a rule restricting user names to 3 letters minimum in the "Official Forum Rules" topic either.
It's not listed in the rules, but if you try to register a new user with less than 3 letters, phpBB won't let you.

In fact, phpBB 2.x actually had problems with less than about 3 letters in a username (which is why you could never search for r's posts, and he had to be renamed to _r_). phpBB 3 doesn't have such problems, but it is still the case that, on tt-forums, usernames must be at least 3 letters long.
Well. Firstly, as you say, phpBB 3.0.x doesn´t have problems with short user names, and obviously, phpBB 2.x didn´t have massive problems either, because the user name "mb" had been registered and could be searched for in the past (as well as all the other two-letter user names like pb, BA, Sp, b2, pu, TC, X2, GB, JC, JG, QL, tm, RK, br, AJ, kg, cl, ks, PK, Si, ZS, AP, ...). There may have been problems with one-letter user names (like "W"), but that´s not what I´ve been asking for.

Secondly, as there aren´t any technical problems in phpBB 3.x with short user names anymore, I don´t see a reason to prohibit them. A user name isn´t a password which should be long enough to make decryption more difficult.

regards
Michael
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

You can always put this in your avatar.
Play a few games. :mrgreen:

Dave

Post by Dave »

I want to change my name to Dennis Bishop.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Beardie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Beardie »

Dave Worley wrote:I want to change my name to Dennis Bishop.
Is that a Joke or a serious request? I can never tell with you Mr Worley.

JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Beardie27 wrote:
I think Owen actually should. Simply because it'll be an entire year before he can change it back!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

All requests in here are meant to be serious, so assuming there is no existing user with that name, the name will be changed...
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

MB, what are you fighthing for? You should clearly see that the stubborrness is final.

(although i would think it might be possible to rename MB, and send him a mail telling him what has been done and giving him the right to get hes old nick back if he so wishes)
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Beardie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Beardie »

JamieLei wrote:
Beardie27 wrote:
I think Owen actually should. Simply because it'll be an entire year before he can change it back!
Unfortunately its 3-4 or months not a year until the next user name request topic.

Dave

Post by Dave »

orudge wrote:All requests in here are meant to be serious, so assuming there is no existing user with that name, the name will be changed...
Go for it, provided I can change it back at the next username change.

April Fools? ;)

Flickr

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Dave Worley wrote:Go for it, provided I can change it back at the next username change.
Sure, assuming nobody else registers it in the mean time. :P
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

orudge wrote:
Dave Worley wrote:Go for it, provided I can change it back at the next username change.
Sure, assuming nobody else registers it in the mean time. :P
<not serious>

Can I have my name changed to Dave Worley once it is free?

</not serious>

I hope you don't believe it would remain free for more than a hour after you renamed DW :twisted:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Could we please only post the serious posts in the News forum? Whenever I see a new post in the News forum I expect it to be important.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Purno wrote:Could we please only post the serious posts in the News forum? Whenever I see a new post in the News forum I expect it to be important.
Wibble.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Purno wrote:Could we please only post the serious posts in the News forum? Whenever I see a new post in the News forum I expect it to be important.
I've considered your request and my answer is no. Grow up a bit. These topics always degrade into the usual...
orudge wrote:Sure, assuming nobody else registers it in the mean time. :P
God... I'd not though of it like that...

You'd better leave it haha :P

Flickr

Return to “News”