Donate to the forums! [£536.45 / £535 raised]

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Donate to the forums! [£536.45 / £535 raised]

Post by orudge »

It's that time of year again - time for the annual tt-forums donation drive!

As you all know, things are quite difficult economically for us all right now, and the same is true of the forums. Due to cutbacks, one of the advertising providers for the forums has removed their advertising, meaning a large gap in forums finances on a monthly basis. Coupled with that is the fact we moved to a new server in May, and once again, we are busier than ever - in 2007, the forums received 114 million hits and used 1,395GB of HTTP bandwidth. In 2008, we received 129 million hits, and used 2,038GB of bandwidth (that's two terabytes!). If you can spare some money to give to the forums, it would be very much appreciated!

The recent loss of advertising has led to a gap in finances of approximately $800/year (total server costs, with the current exchange rates, tend to be around $1400/year). That's around £535, or €600, that needs to be made up. If you could spare even just a few pounds, dollars, euros, or whatever currency you use, to help the forums, it'd be appreciated.

Instead of a single large donation, you may wish to consider sending a regular monthly donation, if this is something you can afford. Hosting for the forums is paid monthly, so this can help to spread things around a bit. If you'd be interested in donating like this, please let me know.

You can find the donation page here. Donations can be taken by PayPal, e-gold and direct bank transfer. Within the UK, I can also accept cheques and postal orders. If there is another way you would like to donate, let me know and we can figure something out. Your donations are very much appreciated.

If you don't want to, or can't, send a monetary donation, you can use our Amazon affiliate links when you shop at Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.com or Amazon.ca. Again, the donations page here explains that.

Thank you all for your support. Please let me know if you have any questions. (This announcement will be removed in the future.)

CURRENT TOTAL DONATED: £536.45 / £535
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Donate to the forums! [£150.63 / £535 raised]

Post by orudge »

The total has now been updated to show all donations since the start of the year, since a few people donated after New Year. Thanks to all the donations so far, we've nearly got 30% of the target for the year! :)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Donate to the forums! [£150.63 / £535 raised]

Post by FooBar »

Since nobody posted here yet, I like to announce that I just donated the amount of €20,--. That should about cover my subscription for 2009.

Just spend it wisely, Owen!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Donate to the forums! [£250.18 / £535 raised]

Post by orudge »

Nearly 50% there! Thank you very much to all for their donations so far!

FooBar: donations will of course be spent responsibly, with them only being used for the monthly server costs, and annual domain renewal. A small amount was also donated towards the TT Meet last year (although we had received donations specifically for the meet last year, some of which is still in the pot waiting for the next meet). :)
atalantino
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by atalantino »

In my family the crisis is hitting us hard.. im afraid i cant spare anything. Anyway, whoa, 2 terabytes is a hell lot of bandwith!! When is the deadline of this donation rush? (could start saving a little)
FORZA BERGAMASCA CALCIO ATALANTA
atalantino
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by atalantino »

edit:not necessary anymore
Last edited by atalantino on 26 Jan 2009 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

atalantino wrote:I inform you that double posts are most regreted, use the blue edit button on the bottom right corner.
Less posts, less pages, less size, and less debts for the owner. :wink:
And I inform you that replying to (blatant) spam messages is considered annoying. Read properly and file a report if you spot a spam message.

Now all continue on topic, dear childeren.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

atalantino wrote:In my family the crisis is hitting us hard.. im afraid i cant spare anything. Anyway, whoa, 2 terabytes is a hell lot of bandwith!! When is the deadline of this donation rush? (could start saving a little)
Don't worry - if you can't afford it, I don't want you going hungry for the sake of the forums! This is what we need to earn for the year, to make up for the advertising that has gone, and half of it has already been earned, so we have many months left to go. :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

orudge wrote:
atalantino wrote:In my family the crisis is hitting us hard.. im afraid i cant spare anything. Anyway, whoa, 2 terabytes is a hell lot of bandwith!! When is the deadline of this donation rush? (could start saving a little)
Don't worry - if you can't afford it, I don't want you going hungry for the sake of the forums! This is what we need to earn for the year, to make up for the advertising that has gone, and half of it has already been earned, so we have many months left to go. :)
Can we keep the total going to see how much we can make this yeaR?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

I'd like to make another small contribution, although I'm not sure how much of it would get swallowed up by PayPal. I'd definitely give something in cash at the meet though, probably double what I gave last year :)
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

http://www.ppcalc.com/ can be used to calculate how much will be taken by PayPal. PayPal fees are a "fact of life" for me, so unless you're only sending 40p or something (in which case I'll get about 10p), I'd prefer to have a donation with a little bit nabbed by PayPal than none at all. ;)

Thanks anyway if you do donate again! I shall update the donation total a bit later on, once I have the time.
djmerlin
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Donate to the forums! [£305.28 / £535 raised]

Post by djmerlin »

orudge how much do you get from the google ads??
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Google does not allow me to reveal that information, but it's not enough to cover the whole cost of the server, hence this fundraiser. ;)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

orudge wrote:Google does not allow me to reveal that information
Google doesn't disallow you to disclose certain information of your bank account, such as mentioning the dates that you received a certain $100,-- form a certain party. :D :P

Edit by Jonty:- Sorry, Google Bots that crawl the site can get suspicious if you talk about the ads too much, especially when you're talking about money. Remember, they can't tell the difference between who's talking! Please try not to talk about it any more.

EDIT by Foobar: Alright, I'll try to keep it in mind. Sorry for the inconvenience of you having to edit my post :wink:
Last edited by FooBar on 17 Feb 2009 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
NukeBuster
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by NukeBuster »

I don't have a paypal account any other ways?

I'll click some more ads for now.
NukeBuster

Transport Empire: The Transport Empire Linux effort
Join the Transport Empire IRC channel: [url]irc://irc.oftc.net/transportempire[/url] !

OpenTTD patch(es): Password at join
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

NukeBuster wrote:I don't have a paypal account any other ways?
If you have a bank account, you can make a direct transfer to my account. PM me for more details if this is perhaps of interest.

I'm currently away in the US for a couple of weeks, but shall update the total when I am able to. Thanks for all donations so far!
atalantino
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by atalantino »

orudge wrote:I'm currently away in the US for a couple of weeks
Have a nice time.
mfans
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mfans »

Is RMB useful?
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Assuming you mean Chinese yuan, then as long as they can be transferred electronically in some way (PayPal or electronic bank transfer), then it should be useful, yes.

Thanks!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Donate to the forums! [£520.17 / £535 raised]

Post by orudge »

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I've been away and so on. Anyway, I've updated the total today, and am pleased to say that we're just £14.83 short of our total (or £15.56 when you include PayPal fees within the UK :P). Thanks to everybody for their donations so far, it is very much appreciated.

Return to “News”