Welcome to the newly upgraded forums!

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Welcome to the newly upgraded forums!

Post by orudge »

Well, as you can see, these forums are now running phpBB 3.0, after five years of waiting for it! There's an awful lot that's new in this version, and it'll no doubt take a while for everyone to get used to it. Please explore, take a look at the new features, and if you have any problems, let me know! You'll notice many features, such as the new User Control Panel, useful little features such as the "Report this post" (if a bot comes on and posts spam, use this, instead of replying to the message!), server-side topic marking (if you get logged out, you won't lose your unread posts!), an enhanced search utility, improved poll features, a birthday feature (update your profile to take advantage of that), and much more that I've yet to even utilise on the forums - not to mention many, many behind-the-scenes enhancements!

However, there are a few things that I need to warn you about. Everyone will be using the TT theme by default - if you'd prefer to use subSilver, or the new phpBB3 theme proSilver, you can change the theme under Board Preferences in your User Control Panel. Also, if you notice any errors in the TT theme, then do let me know. This may be pages that don't quite look right or are hard to read, or more. Please create a thread in the Forum Suggestions forum if you have any comments or criticism, however small.

Also, until the final release of phpBB 3.0, the only language supported by the forum interface is English. (While there are some language packs available for the release candidates, I'd rather not use them for now). In addition, the RSS feature is presently not supported by phpBB 3.0 - there are some mods available that can let me use it now, but I'd prefer to wait for a "final" release of one with the final release of phpBB 3.0.

phpBB 3.0 has changed BBCode so that font sizes are specified as a percentage, instead of as a pixel size. All existing posts have been updated automatically to cater for this, but watch out for this when making new posts - [size=9] will give an incredibly unreadable post! Also note that phpBB 3.0 supports a [flash] BBCode for embedding Flash animations - this may have some use in the Off-Topic forum, but if it is abused, it may be disabled. In addition, you can also embed attachments inside posts - handy if you're trying to provide a commentary to a screenshot thread.

Note that the search index is being rebuilt right now, it'll take a few hours to finish, so searches carried out before around 4am UTC today may be incomplete.

If you have any difficulty during the next few days just in general while using phpBB 3.0, please post a topic about it and I'll try to sort things out! :)

There are probably other things I should mention, but at the moment, I can't really think what else I should include in this post. So, as I said before, let me know how things go!

(And yes, I know the logo doesn't line up with the background grid. :P)
lws1984
President
President

Re: Welcome to the newly upgraded forums!

Post by lws1984 »

FIRST POST!

Also, everything's working fine.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Note also that, during the upgrade process, avatars were limited to a maximum of 90 pixels in width/height, resized automatically. As you can see by looking at Patchman's avatar, this didn't work quite properly in all cases (for patchman, it'll be broken because of his random avatar thingy). I may consider increasing the avatar maximum to something like 100x120 pixels.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Finally, the forums move to phpBB 3 and now all those little improvements you promised shall be tested for. :P

[Side note] No emoticons or BB Code in the news forums? :(

~ Lakie
Last edited by Lakie on 14 Jul 2007 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Lakie wrote:[Side note] No emoticons or BB Code in the news forums? :(
It seems phpBB's defaults for certain types of forum are a bit broken by default. If anyone else spots anything like this in any of the other forums, please let me know.
Flavius
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Flavius »

Hi Owen

I am thrilled with the new Forum and cannot wait to try new features as i have time.
Have the Polls been improved :?:
Chose proSilver template its so modern and pleasing on the eyes. Default TT template is still tough on the eyes and clunky looking for me.

Love the use of color and new layouts. Brilliant, lost for words
Thank you so much. :P :shock:
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

/me cries.

Everything is all differentie. Differenty. New.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

I don't know, but for us mods there is the new merge topics function, perhaps this new version is a blessing somehow
And we see all the smilies when we post, woowho :mrgreen:

Edit: and we see who's online under the avatar, but I had to change the website in my profile, so I put this place
Plus you can add people to your friends list ...
And you can add your real birthday in your profile ....
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Hooray! The whole place seems faster too.

If you don't mind, I might use a Greasemonkey script to line up the logo; it sounds silly but that kind of thing gets on my nerves. :P
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Owen, where is the private section ???
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

spaceman-spiff wrote:Owen, where is the private section ???
"Oops."

:P
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

spaceman-spiff wrote:Owen, where is the private section ???
I just asked that to in a PM, Spaceman Spiff. It looks like Owen committed a coup, doing away with all moderators :( .

That's a joke of course, we're still recognised as moderators. I don't know if it's the fruits of our job as moderator but I just noticed web crawlers appear in the online list too. Is that really necessary?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Some emoticon codes seem to be broken.

Still, YAY!

I hope using phpbb3 is easier than adminning it.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Whoop dee doo! It sure is something to get used to but I think we'll manage. :wink:
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Yey. One annoying thing, the box up the top with the forum you are currently in is a bit annoying in TT theme.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

Some points:

1) User control panel, click "profile" and then "Edit signature". Doesn't work. I didn't want to actually create one (I hate the things - nice to see a "hide sigs" option!), but I do like pressing all the buttons anyway. ;)

2) Those garrish colours you've got for the mods and bots and admins - could they be toned-down? They're distracting on the forum threads lists (bright red and blue and green names show up when everything else is grey and yellow).
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

GRF Crawler
Some note, grfcrawler.tt-forums.net isn't yet updated, this means login/logoff and other stuff will or may fail currently.

Owen: You killed my avatar, I want my avatar back! :cry:
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Has the maximum character limit of attachment comments been increased?

Another thing, not directly related to the new forum, but it's to do with BB code. How do I use BB code to assign a link to an image? Currently, when I use the URL button on an image, I get [/img]www.imageaddress.com[/img], which obviously won't work.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention that I love the new forum, especially the cool new, customizable timestamps! Beats vBulletin for sure. :P
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

White Rabbit wrote:Another thing, not directly related to the new forum, but it's to do with BB code. How do I use BB code to assign a link to an image? Currently, when I use the URL button on an image, I get [/img]www.imageaddress.com[/img], which obviously won't work.
[ url=link ][ img ]image[ /img ][ /url ]

without the spaces of course.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Thank you.
That should, IMHO, be automatically added when you URL (the verb :P) an IMG. I believe vBulletin does that, which saves time. Would it be possible, orudge, to change the function, or are we stuck with how phpBB handles it?

Return to “News”