Spam posts: Please do not reply to them!

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Spam posts: Please do not reply to them!

Post by Patchman »

Recently there have been a number of spam bots posting spam here in the forums.

Please do NOT reply to these posts!

The bots usually enable topic notifications for their posts, which means that if someone replies they know that the forum is active and their posts are getting read. This only makes it more worthwhile to post more spam in the future!

If you notice a post that is spam, contact a moderator. The fastest way is via IRC, #tycoon at irc.quakenet.org or the forum chat applet.

DO NOT reply to the post. No matter how witty you think you may be, and no matter how angry the post makes you. Contact a moderator and wait for it to be removed, please.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
orudge_roaming
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by orudge_roaming »

Further to this, I have taken the step of (perhaps only temporarily) banning signups from *.info e-mail addresses, as a lot of these spammers seem to be using them. If you have a genuine .info e-mail address and have now either been banned, or can't sign up, please e-mail me (forums @ tt-forums .net) and I'll see what we can do.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused to genuine users.
Owen Rudge (roaming admin account)
http://www.tt-forums.net/
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Finally, it should be common sense, but some people will do it anyway - don't click on the links, they usually contain viruii, trojans, god knows what else, designed to make your life miserable.

We clean them up as fast as possible, but as soon as you notice one, contact one of us to remove it.

As Patchman said, best way is in IRC. Just highlight us in turn until you get one of us. Usually, I'll be annoyed at the highlight, but if it's for a good reason, I'll come clean up. Did enough cleaning up last night :tongue:.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Raichase wrote:We clean them up as fast as possible, but as soon as you notice one, contact one of us to remove it.

As Patchman said, best way is in IRC. Just highlight us in turn until you get one of us. Usually, I'll be annoyed at the highlight, but if it's for a good reason, I'll come clean up. Did enough cleaning up last night :tongue:.
Not to offend, but it happened a few times no moderator (at least not one which moderators the specific section) was online, while quite some users already noticed the spam (god knows how many people actually clicked the link).
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Purno wrote:Not to offend, but it happened a few times no moderator (at least not one which moderators the specific section) was online, while quite some users already noticed the spam (god knows how many people actually clicked the link).
Well, that does offend a little.

I can assure you, we're not sitting on our hands. If we SEE it or someone brings it to our attention, we're all over it. However, if we've finished our cursory reading of the forums and are off doing other things, we need to be yelled at to be notified of it...

Besides, we can't be everywhere at once.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
ImageImage
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I'm not saying you moderators do a bad job. I'm sure you do the best you can. I can understand you got other thingies to do too, but if these spambots keep spamming like the did so far, perhaps make those who can mod only a section be global mods.

Just my 2 cents. And no offence intended; I'm sure you're doing everything you can.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Yes, one of the problems is that, when these spambots do post, there is often no moderators around that can delete them.
Is the "Type the letters you see" authentication thing enabled for new accounts on the forum? If not, I strongly recommend you start using it, or maybe get a better authentication thingummy. ;)
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

jonty-comp wrote:Is the "Type the letters you see" authentication thing enabled for new accounts on the forum?
They are easily able to evade this, sadly.
ImageImage
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Spambots, blaargh... We had tonnes of then at Purno's forum aswell. :x
Give me Fembots, their better. :mrgreen:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Mr. X wrote:We had tonnes of then at Purno's forum aswell. :x
Those were even worse, those registered and sent everyone a mail to activate their account... That's why I closed the forum.
Image Image
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Raichase wrote:
jonty-comp wrote:Is the "Type the letters you see" authentication thing enabled for new accounts on the forum?
They are easily able to evade this, sadly.
The default methods have been beaten yes, but there are other upgrades that could be made to stop automated registering.
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

Indeed, there are several phpBB MODs that could be used to make registering harder to automate, and defeat the more simple bots entirely. It might be a good idea to do some research into them if the spambotting gets worse.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, I've removed the .info e-mail ban for now, and upgraded the visual confirmation (CAPTCHA) to a more complex one. We'll see how things go.

As for the moderator issue, it's a busy time of year what with Christmas and so on, so not all the moderators can be on the forum all of the time. Generally, we have enough people to cover things - if I think there may be a need for more (global) moderators, I may then take further action.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

A friendly warning to the person who's replying to the recent spam attacks, please don't and let it be taken away by a moderator
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Indeed, occasionally the spam posts may be there for a few hours if there isn't a moderator available, but please just try to ignore the posts and we will deal with them as quickly as we can.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Even though I'm not officially moderating for the next week or so, I'll still remove any spam that is on the forums, so bug me in #tycoon or send me a PM, I'll clean it up.
ImageImage
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Drawing attention back to this thread for a minute - I have seen users replying to spam again.

Remember, posting IN A THREAD "a mod should lock this" does NOTHING. PM all mods and admins you can get your hands on instead...

Thankyou.
ImageImage
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

We've just had another bout of spam, and people feel the need to reply yet again with typically useless posts. Please, heed the advice given by patchman and Raichase, and when you see a spam thread or post, do not reply, just notify a Moderator or Administrator via any method you can.

Replying will only do good to increase the amount of spam we recieve here.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Note also that at the moment, I personally am rather busy, and a PM sent to me may not get read for a few days. If I'm active on IRC, you can contact me then - otherwise, it's probably best to try to contact the other moderators. Keep an eye out on the "Who's Online" status to see if any mods are online. Of course, you can still PM me, but by the time I am able to read the message, the spam may have been long dealt with.
orudge_roaming
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by orudge_roaming »

Another note... I have temporarily banned users with names starting with "aber" from signing up. A few of the spambots had names starting with this... while there are spammers under other names that post, this may help a bit until a more permanent solution can be implemented.
Owen Rudge (roaming admin account)
http://www.tt-forums.net/

Return to “News”