New server ordered

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

New server ordered

Post by orudge »

Yesterday, I ordered a new server for the forums. This is a dedicated server, so it'll only be the forums (and hosted sites, my other sites, etc) that are on it - we'll have full usage of it. It should hopefully prove to be a lot faster and more reliable (it's not hosted with Oktagone or Adiungo). Any more donations would of course be appreciated, as it is somewhat more expensive than our previous hosting.

I'll keep this topic updated with progress towards moving towards the new server. Currently, it's still being set up.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

What's the budget you have left and what will this server cost per month?
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

The cost is $65/month, but half of this is currently being paid by someone else, so we (the forum users and myself) have to pay around $32/month = $390/year. I'm paying it monthly now, rather than yearly - if there are any problems and I terminate the contract early, I won't lose potentially hundreds of dollars.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

would this mean you could start messing around more with the bandwidth?
eg. expand the file types and sizes for attachments, allowing attachments in the signaturw update page etc?
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I would suggest to keep things as they are. Like that you might do longer with the bandwith you have. Seems smarter to me then instantly increasing the allowed file/sig size.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Besides, people still have to download all this, and some of them (eg, me) are still on 56K. :(
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

That's true too, almost forget about them :lol: ! But I believe file size i.e. is sufficient. I never heard someone complain sofar.
tubechallenger
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by tubechallenger »

Whoa, nice idea orudge.

Especially after the bad downtime that has plagued us today, :(. When can we expect it to be up and online? :)
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

I wouldn't remove the limit, some newbies have no consideration for how much this server costs :evil:
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

orudge wrote: being paid by someone else
I think i know who that is

Anyways, great news :D
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

David J wrote:Especially after the bad downtime that has plagued us today, :(. When can we expect it to be up and online? :)
Hopefully it should be up within the next couple of days, but I'll be away in Edinburgh and won't be back until Sunday, so it might be a week or so before the forums are moved.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Maybe while the server is up, but the forums haven't been moved, you can put some sort of test program on it to find out just what it can handle.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
CombatGold1
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CombatGold1 »

spaceman-spiff wrote:I wouldn't remove the limit, some newbies have no consideration for how much this server costs :evil:
yes, its a real bummer, when a site has loads of members but around 1% actually donate - its even worse if the owner is in an area where it is hard to get a part time job to help pay.
Thanks,
Adam Reece.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

The bad economy hasn't helped either, I've been in a bad way for months...
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

In some ways though, the weaker US dollar is actually quite helpful, as it's cheaper to buy a server priced in dollars. However, donations in dollars are also worth slightly less, so it's a double-sided coin. Oh well.

krtaylor: I won't stick a test program on here, as the hosting doesn't expire until next May, and they won't offer me a refund on unused months, so I'll leave all non-tt-forums stuff on here (without tt-forums using up loads of resources, the rest of it should be quite happy) - I don't want to get kicked off for actively trying to overuse resources. ;)
Wezz6400
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wezz6400 »

I think he meant putting a test program on the new server, since it's not being used yet you could test it that way.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, anyway, the server was set up the other day, and it's very nice so far. Plus, they gave us a 120GB hard drive rather than an 80GB hard disk, and a slightly more powerful processor, so I'm not complaining. ;)

I'll likely move stuff over next week, we'll see what happens.

Return to “News”