What makes this game so great ?

General talk about Transport Tycoon that isn't specific to TTD, TTDPatch or OpenTTD.
Sander
Engineer
Engineer

What makes this game so great ?

Post by Sander »

I read a lot about Transport Tycoon and watched a view videos, so i must say it looks quite charming.

So, what do you think from your own playing experience, what makes this game so special?
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: What makes this game so great ?

Post by Simons Mith »

Well, a lot of any answer is going to repeat what was said on this thread: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=53018

In essence, the TTD game family are sandbox games where you have many different possible styles of play. Cooperative, competitive, creative, historical modeling. Some like playing it, some like programming for it, some like making networks, some like making new vehicles to put into the game. And as train fanatics [sorry all] tend to be geeky types, the geekiness of the game doesn't put them off, 'cos it's already far too late for them to worry about that. :-)

I like playing on quite high difficulty settings with inflation turned on, to see how far I can get before my transport empire collapses under its own mistakes and inefficiencies. Others seek to cover the entire map with their transport network. The game's great strength, I feel, is the sheer variety of playing styles it can accomodate. Something it has in common with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and, two other free games, the Battle for Wesnoth and Dwarf Fortress. I think OpenTTD is actually more accomodating of different playing styles than any of those four (and, particularly compared to Minecraft, that's /really/ saying something). /And/ OTTD was here first.
Sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sander »

Thanks, that was very informative.

Is there a way to optimitze the ui ? new windows for example are always to small, so i musst correct them each time.
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Simons Mith »

You can set the game to remember your preferred window sizes, although I'm not sure how. Ctrl-close? A config setting?

You can also change the fonts it uses, including the horrible flyspeck size used on the map, but you have to manually edit the openttd.cfg file to do it, using a text editor. You can't access those settings from the in-game configuration system, comprehensive as it tries to be. If you change a font, be sure you know in advance the exact correct name of the font you want to substitute. I don't think the game is very forgiving if you mistakenly enter an invalid font name. In an ideal world the available fonts ought to be selectable from a menu. It's technically feasible, but as you /can/ alter the config file manually, I think the devs consider it a lot of work (and it's an awful lot) for a pretty marginal benefit. After all, most people change it once or twice, if that, then never touch it again.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

The main show stopper is lack of a reliable cross-platform way of retrieving the fonts and their information.

Return to “General Transport Tycoon”