Extracting Music Files from CD

General talk about Transport Tycoon that isn't specific to TTD, TTDPatch or OpenTTD.
Whittle
Engineer
Engineer

Extracting Music Files from CD

Post by Whittle »

I purchased a second-hand copy Transport Tycoon Deluxe edition from eBay with the intention of using the original graphics/SFX/Music in OTTD.

I have found the named graphics and SFX files that were listed in the OTTD readme and have copied them over to the OTTD/data directory okay.

The problem I am having however is the readme says to copy the contents of the /gm over to the OTTD base directory for the music, which I cannot do as Windows 8 will not allow me to install Transport Tycoon Deluxe and as the named music files are not mentioned in the OTTD readme I'm not sure what to look for.

If anybody can let me know what files I need and how I can get them off the original CD (in case they're in some bespoke compressed file that I need to get them out of) it would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Directory listing of the "replay" Transport Tycoon Deluxe CD
Directory listing of the "replay" Transport Tycoon Deluxe CD
folder.png (28.93 KiB) Viewed 676 times
Formerly known as GigBuddy
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Extracting Music Files from CD

Post by Lord Aro »

I suspect you'll need to find a way to extract that 'GM' file
try 7-zip, or something similar
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Whittle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Whittle »

I downloaded the tttools.zip file from the following site:

http://www.ttdpatch.net/chris_becke_ttdlx.html

I tested it on SAMPLE.CAT and it extracts the contents to *.wav files.

However when I do it on any of the other CAT files I get *.bin output which I cannot play, the the extraction process suggests its the right thing.

::upside down smile::
Attachments
gm.png
Screenshot of GM.CAT extraction process
(55.75 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Formerly known as GigBuddy
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

The list of files in the screenshot tells me that you bought a DOS version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe. The graphics and sound effects of the DOS version are understood/useable by OpenTTD, but the music is not understood by OpenTTD.

Return to “General Transport Tycoon”