Help. Trying to get the game

General talk about Transport Tycoon that isn't specific to TTD, TTDPatch or OpenTTD.
carmelb
Engineer
Engineer

Help. Trying to get the game

Post by carmelb »

Hi there. Having played loads of games on pc, wii and playstatiohn over many years this is still my favourite game ever. But I now have a new computer. When I read about patches and doing this and that to something I am lost, just not technical enough. Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the game I can just play now? Or where it is easy for a non tech person to be able to do what is needed to get the game to run on later versions of windows? I would also love to know if there is a more recent game which is similar? I loved building the roads etc, hours would disappear. Sad isnt it. My email address is feistysmartlady@aol.com. Ta. Happy Christmas.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Help. Trying to get the game

Post by Yexo »

Take a look at the other forum sections, find the section about OpenTTD. Downloads are available from openttd.org. If you download and use the windows installer it'll automatically install the necessary 3rdparty files for you.
carmelb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by carmelb »

thank you very much, will have a look soon.
carmelb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by carmelb »

Eek. had a look at openttd.org and it was all gobblygook to me, did not understand a word of it. sory.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Than I have no clue how to help you.

If you really want help, you need to be more precise. What exactly do you want? What did you try? Where did the result differ from what you expected?
carmelb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by carmelb »

I looked at the site and couldnot work out what it was I was supposed to be downloading. I really am no good on computers other than an email usually. So when I am faced with tech stuff and lots of choices I just get all confused and freeze. I was not able to download anything. Sorry. You either need lots of patience with me or run a mile.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Try this file: http://binaries.openttd.org/releases/1. ... -win32.exe

Download it, run it to install OpenTTD and don't forget to check the boxes for downloading OpenGFX / OpenSFX when asked for it.
carmelb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by carmelb »

Thanks for being patient with me. I did download that and it seems to work fine from what I can see quickly. Am very grateful.
I can either send you a clementine or say thanks again and again.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

You're welcome, just have fun playing the game :D
carmelb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by carmelb »

Hi there. I am really chuffed to get this game again, have just started playing it and if my memory serves me correctly there are improvements. I dont remember some of the bits I can see here being here before, such as it telling me how full the bus is before it is full. It was great before so its even better now if this is the case. This has really made my Christmas. Thank you so very much. :)
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Have fun. The wiki has a lot of explanations and some tutorials. And yes, there have been a lot of changes since the original transport tycoon.
carmelb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by carmelb »

Yes it is differnt and greatly improved in some areas, I think the space age scenario is totally new too. Is there anywhere where you can get new buildings, vehicles, scenarios etc that an idiot like me can add to this? Are there any other similar games? Caesar was similar in some respects and there was another very old game where you laid tracks and trains ran and buildings would pop up there but nowhere near as good as this. You can lose a whole day in this easy. My friends will get very annoyed I will be making excuses up to get out of seeing them when I would rather play this.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

SimCity perhaps? You can download new vehicles, building and scenarios via the in-game "online content" button. After downloading vehicles/buildings you'll have to enable them in the "NewGRF settings" window.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

The open source version of Simcity 1 is called Micropolis, you should be able to find it at http://micropolisonline.com/

Return to “General Transport Tycoon”