Real economy

General talk about Transport Tycoon that isn't specific to TTD, TTDPatch or OpenTTD.
crdigger
Engineer
Engineer

Real economy

Post by crdigger »

Building tracks between map corners looks weird. The economy should look more realistic, so that supply will be from nearest sources.Every industry should have limit of accepted raw material.Supply over limit - no unloading ;option - unloading to destination station and no payment.Further, the price is price of material + price of transportation, so that the industry will accept cheapest one if competitors offer more than the limit.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Real economy

Post by planetmaker »

crdigger wrote:Building tracks between map corners looks weird. The economy should look more realistic, so that supply will be from nearest sources.Every industry should have limit of accepted raw material.Supply over limit - no unloading ;option - unloading to destination station and no payment.Further, the price is price of material + price of transportation, so that the industry will accept cheapest one if competitors offer more than the limit.
Ah, nice, we didn't have that suggestion for a few weeks. ;-) I'll assume you mean OpenTTD:

- You're subject to ignorance of this game's capabilities. Please become aquainted with NewGRFs, in particular industry NewGRFs, especially the ECS vectors which implement the (un)loading and acceptance behaviour you describe.
- You're subject to a mis-conception of this game: It's is a _transport_ game. You don't own nor buy the goods you transport. You just get paid for transportation. The money you receive upon delivery has nothing to do with the goods' value. You don't pay upon picking up cargo either (I wonder why no-one ever complains about that?). The combined purchase price an accepting industry has to pay for delivery and purchase from the originating industry may be lower for a far-distant industry than a close-by one. And: do you, as passenger on a bus or train suddenly become property of the the transportation company?
- You are free to implement a more "realistic" economy in whatever game you play. Both OpenTTD and TTDPatch have separate sections in this forums and both are open-source.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

planetmaker wrote:... do you, as passenger on a bus or train suddenly become property of the the transportation company?
:)

I sometimes have the feeling one indeed becomes property of the train company, especially when they close the doors and then let the train sit in the station for any number of minutes :evil:
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

FooBar wrote:
planetmaker wrote:... do you, as passenger on a bus or train suddenly become property of the the transportation company?
:)

I sometimes have the feeling one indeed becomes property of the train company, especially when they close the doors and then let the train sit in the station for any number of minutes :evil:
Sometimes "hours", especially for an airplane waiting in a line up or in a holding pattern for it's turn at the runway, or sitting on the tarmac for a terminal ramp to become available. :twisted:
MasterNnja
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterNnja »

This seems to fit into this thread:

Can anyone tell me what became of "PaxDest"? (It was a more realistic behavior for passengers and mail, so that instead of dropping them of wherever you please, they'll have a destination they're trying to reach) I think that would make a good addition alongside the ECS vectors...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

MasterNnja wrote:Can anyone tell me what became of "PaxDest"? (It was a more realistic behavior for passengers and mail, so that instead of dropping them of wherever you please, they'll have a destination they're trying to reach) I think that would make a good addition alongside the ECS vectors...
Seeing as how this is in the Transport Tycoon section of the forums, I will assume that you are using TTDPatch where "cargodest" has been a feature of the TTDPatch nightlies for some time now. If you install the latest TTDPatch nightly (r2366) and then open ttdpatch.cfg and search that file for cargodest, you will find a rather well commented group of settings where you can select pretty much exactly what you want.
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

You want cargodist/cargodest now, which do practically the same thing.

As for a realistic economy - there's a global crisis, everyone runs out of money and there are no funds to expand the transportation systems? Doesn't sound that fun to me.
Jon
crdigger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by crdigger »

>It's is a _transport_ game

The playing maps looks weird in most cases, winners just exploit realism violations. My suggestion is to make such strategies useless and to force players to build something like real world with transportation system optimized for delivery cost. Currently winning strategy is to maximize delivery cost for each resource. In addition , rules usually do not encourage competition for same raw material source, so that competition by delivering to nearest consumer is considered non-ethical.
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

There is a saying in the EVE community. The first mistake most gameplay zealots make is thinking that the game should revolve around them. The second is believing that it already does. If you want these things then I can only suggest you make a thread in the suggestions forum for either TTDPatch or OpenTTD to see if there is any interest in such a feature/NewGRF. If there is, you can start a project to make it a reality. If there isn't, you can start such a project on your own until such a time as other people are interested in helping.
Last known as: Weirdy
crdigger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by crdigger »

Sorry, I thought that this is a right subforum to discuss,and that similar project already exists but I cannot find it.What is relation to EVE community?
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

crdigger wrote:What is relation to EVE community?
Apart from my own involvement, none. It just seemed a fitting phrase.
Last known as: Weirdy
Sabre_Justice
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Sabre_Justice »

Trying to make Transport Tycoon realistic is like trying to make SimCity realistic, it's a hopeless cause, and the game would be way less fun if it was. Or at least a completely different game.

Return to “General Transport Tycoon”