Extendable railroad junction problem

General talk about Transport Tycoon that isn't specific to TTD, TTDPatch or OpenTTD.
NeonSelf
Engineer
Engineer

Extendable railroad junction problem

Post by NeonSelf »

I've played OpenTTD for only two weeks, but already have a lot of problems while rebuilding railroad junctions for heavier traffic.
It's especially hard, when you have to remove the old junction completely to build new one on the same place - the trains are getting mad, when they can't find a route...

At first I tried to search some solutions, but end up with nothing.

So I try to develop an extendable junction, that can handle a few trains from double lane 3 directions at the beginning, but then extends to 4-way junction with 4 lanes each way. I'm making sharp turns, so the junction is very compact at first, but then it gets bigger and bigger. So now I don't have to rebuild my junction completely, or to stop traffic going through it while extending.

Below are the screenshots, maybe someone else find it useful. And, ofcourse, it would be nice if you advice something useful to improve this design.

Step 1: simple 3-way junction
This is the ealiest version. just a simple and compact 3-way junction.
This is the ealiest version. just a simple and compact 3-way junction.
my 3-way junction 1x.png (69.46 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Step 2: simple 4-way junction
and now it's a 4-way junction, still as compact as possible.
and now it's a 4-way junction, still as compact as possible.
my 4-way junction 1x.png (73.5 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Step 3: extending the 4-way junction to handle twice more lanes, build additional 2 briges and 2 tunnels for trains, heading straight forward on the outer lines.

Step 4: building additional 4 tracks to allow trains from outer lines to turn right.

Step 5: inserting a roundabount for outer lanes to make left turns and loops possible.
extremely efficient 4-way junction
extremely efficient 4-way junction
my 4-way junction 2x v2.png (106.58 KiB) Viewed 281 times
I know, my english is bad sometimes, sorry for that, but my native language is russian.
teccuk
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Extendable railroad junction problem

Post by teccuk »

I'm sure others will have proper solutions.

Whilst this is *cheating*, you can use ctrl+alt+c to turn on 'build in pause mode'.

Return to “General Transport Tycoon”