Running Trains Without Many, Or Any Signals.

General talk about Transport Tycoon that isn't specific to TTD, TTDPatch or OpenTTD.
opensteam
Engineer
Engineer

Running Trains Without Many, Or Any Signals.

Post by opensteam »

I'm looking for new ways to design my rails. I'm not good with signals so I make a seperate rail for each train. I was wondering how others build without using many, or any signals.

My example:

# :Train Garage
= :Track
Stat :Station

#[StatPower]=[Stat,coal1]#
...................#[Stat]=[coal2]#
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Running Trains Without Many, Or Any Signals.

Post by lawton27 »

Without using any signals there is little more you can do than simple point to points...

There's some websites available with good signaling tutorials, you haven't specified which game you are playing so I couldn't tell you where to look. If you're playing OTTD the best place would be the OTTD wiki.
opensteam
Engineer
Engineer

Post by opensteam »

I am using Open TTD.

Is there a big difference in profit possiblity between signals vs none, or are signal setups just more for show?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Well, you can easily run more trains in a smaller space if you don't have to provide separate platforms, running lines and depots for each one, and you don't have the expense of building the extra infrastructure...
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

I used to run all my trains in the same way, dedicated track for each. I was intrigued by the promises of vastly improved throughputs using signaling that others had achieved, so I started using simple double-track terminus setups, which are easy to start with when you're coming from a dedicated-line mindset: http://wiki.openttd.org/Terminus#Terminus
Easy and very much an improvement! Simply make all track double rather than single and drag one-way signals (path or otherwise; the signal drag-density is configurable) for one direction on the right and the other on the left (I drive on the right, but plenty of folk don't so take your pick!) If the line is short (and/or has a lot of trains), you'll want all stations to have at least two platforms, like in the picture from the above link. If it's a long line with enough distances between trains, you can get away with just one shared platform:
Attachments
Even this simple setup can handle way more trains than dedicated lines... which can handle only one!
Even this simple setup can handle way more trains than dedicated lines... which can handle only one!
Untitled.png (74.18 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Lockwood
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lockwood »

When I started, I tended to copy the AI and do single track with passing places.

Currently, my first train will be a 2 track station, with some dual ahead of it, then narrowing to single. It then widens out to a 2 track station the other end in the same way. I will then put passing places in which will then get converted to double tracks later. I'd usually run 2 trains on a line like this, possibly 3 if it's a long line. More than that and you get too much queuing.
This is faily easy to signal and is then extendable.

Return to “General Transport Tycoon”