A quite typical Newb question

General talk about Transport Tycoon that isn't specific to TTD, TTDPatch or OpenTTD.
Alexology
Engineer
Engineer

A quite typical Newb question

Post by Alexology »

Hello there and welcome to my first post!

I was astounded to discover that this game has had a vibrant fan base for years since I have left it and that it is now essentially freeware. Fantastic news on both counts!

I have found my mind wandering to this game over the years and it has always stood out as one of my favorites and so I finally looked it up. What an amazing discovery!

Anyway I have what is no doubt a question that will elicit groans and moans from the more veteran forum members though after a few hours of trying to find this out for myself I throw myself on the mercy of the forums!

This is the situation:

I have installed the game and then moved onto the exciting GRFs!
The first that I tried was the 2cc Chimaera and the NuTracks.

No problems with getting them to run, actually the fact is that it is so complete that it is overwhelming, there are so many trains! I read in the wiki that it is possible to change the parameters of some GRFs. I also read
(http://users.tt-forums.net/2cc/readme.html) that it is possible to specify the trains that will appear in game.

My question is this, how?!

I found the .tar files in my documents (and that took a bit of time in itself) and assumed that I could open them with notepad but am presented with a license agreement rather then parameters that I can alter.

Now before you attack me for not searching the forums, I did and I have been reading for the last number of hours. I was unable to find what I am looking for though I am sure the answer is out there.

I have no experience in coding though I am not completely bereft of computer experience and am hoping that this game may be a window into coding for me.

Is there a simple step by step guide for those of us who want to learn?

Thanks for your time, as you can tell I can get a bit verbose!

Regards,
Alexology
Boye
Engineer
Engineer

Re: A quite typical Newb question

Post by Boye »

Hi Alexology, and welcome to the forums!

The information in the readme is outdated, as the region settings are (temporarily) removed from the GRF.
As for parameters, you don't have to be able to code to change them, if you change your GRFs ingame, there's a button to the bottom right which says "parameters".

Maybe next time you have a problem with a GRF go to it's thread, you are much more likely to find your answer there. :)

Boye
Alexology
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Alexology »

Much obliged for the prompt reply. I had already tried to change the parameters using the GRF settings panel, as you have suggested but there was no change.

But if I understand you correctly you are saying that at present it is impossible to alter the GRF in terms of the regions, is that correct?

Regards,
Alexology
Boye
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Boye »

Yes you are, they should return when the set is finished IIRC, but i'm not sure and these things tend to change quite often..
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Hi!

Those regional parameters are temporarily disabled, that's true. It's because we're finishing some delicate stuff (adding some last minute wagons) and there's a good chance we'd mess things up with those parameters. They will be included very soon.

The 2cc Chimaera is (or better say was) and addon for the ver.1 of this set. Don't use it. It's terribly outdated and the Chimaera and other maglevs are part of the set now.

Coding and recoding - just a plain don't. You won't achieve much since our coder will fix all the details very soon - as soon as we (drawers) provide him those last wagons to include.

In any case, I suggest you to visit our "official" topic, you can see many new features there. :wink:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43838

Enjoy.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Alexology
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Alexology »

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I was hoping to try coding for the first time with this! Well I will take your advice and perhaps try it with something else.

I love the GRF by the way and so allow me to offer my congratulations on all of your hard work; anything with more trains is a plus in my book!

Looking forward to the finished product.

Regards,
Alexology
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Alexology wrote:Actually I was hoping to try coding for the first time with this!
As far as I'm concerned, you can. But what's the point if these things are getting done very soon. :)
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield

Return to “General Transport Tycoon”