How do I get it working

General talk about Transport Tycoon that isn't specific to TTD, TTDPatch or OpenTTD.
louielouie123
Engineer
Engineer

How do I get it working

Post by louielouie123 »

Hi there everyone, this will probably sound repetitive and boring to A LOT of you as I'm sure you have heard this all before but could someone please tell me either 1 of these 2 things. Number 1. My system is Windows 7, now does that mean I can play Transport Tycoon on my laptop as it is at the moment, is it possible at all. I want to know this because I finally want to know weather I will have to finally give up on once again trying to play this EPIC game. To be honest I have looked at a lot of sources of information to see if there are ways to play it but it might as well be in a different language. If it is a no to number 1 number 2. Can someone PLLLLLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE explain in a sort of idiots way or just the simplist way possible the way in which I can get TTD to run on my Windows 7 laptop because everywhere I go all I hear is download exe patch super mega useless nothing download which does absolutely nothing at all and makes no sense in the process, so any really understandable help for my tiny brain would be MASSIVELY appreciated.
Thank a lot.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How do I get it working

Post by Emperor Jake »

Welcome to the forums!

It is not possible to get TTD alone working on anything newer than Windows 2000 or XP. However, there are many alternatives:
1. TTDPatch - This is TTD with lots of bugfixes, new features and, of course, support for newer Windows.
2. OpenTTD - This is technically not TTD, but it can be a very faithful alternative. Of course, you can also choose to make use of the numerous new features (and believe me, once you've played OpenTTD you can't go back)
3. A Virtual Machine - This is more complicated, but IMO it is the best way to play TTD in its pure form on a modern computer. However I recommend one of either OpenTTD or TTDPatch, as there are stacks o awesome new features.

Also, you can use the forum's search feature for help installing these things :wink:

Have a look around, you'll see lots of those NewGRFs that add new trains, other vehicles, buildings, etc (plus mostly they can work in both TTDPatch or OpenTTD)

- Jake
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Emperor Jake wrote:Welcome to the forums!

It is not possible to get TTD alone working on anything newer than Windows 2000 or XP. However, there are many alternatives:
1. TTDPatch - This is TTD with lots of bugfixes, new features and, of course, support for newer Windows.
2. OpenTTD - This is technically not TTD, but it can be a very faithful alternative. Of course, you can also choose to make use of the numerous new features (and believe me, once you've played OpenTTD you can't go back)
3. A Virtual Machine - This is more complicated, but IMO it is the best way to play TTD in its pure form on a modern computer. However I recommend one of either OpenTTD or TTDPatch, as there are stacks o awesome new features.

Also, you can use the forum's search feature for help installing these things :wink:

Have a look around, you'll see lots of those NewGRFs that add new trains, other vehicles, buildings, etc (plus mostly they can work in both TTDPatch or OpenTTD)

- Jake
IMO TTDPatch provides a more pure environment on modern Windows. TTDPatch can be configured to just enable support for Windows 2000 and newer without touching anything else. If none of that matters then OpenTTD may have certain features more for you and may be easier to install.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
louielouie123
Engineer
Engineer

Post by louielouie123 »

Thanks for the tip, so what would be the best alternitive for me. Is openTTD a completely different game that I can buy somewhere either online or in stores and if so is there a link to it???
Thanks. Louie
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

OpenTTD is a completely different game that can be downloaded from www.openttd.org for free. It aims to replicate TTD. Go and look a few sections further down the index past TTDPatch.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Elcamo
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Elcamo »

download openttd, it's free and and basically the same game as TT but with updates, fixed bugs, improved gameplay, multiplayer, ect. Openttd will work on pretty much any computer, and it runs fine on my Win7 laptop

Return to “General Transport Tycoon”