2-headed Terminus Stations - Transfer/ Loading Stations

General talk about Transport Tycoon that isn't specific to TTD, TTDPatch or OpenTTD.
ZarIvan
Engineer
Engineer

2-headed Terminus Stations - Transfer/ Loading Stations

Post by ZarIvan »

Hi everyone,

first of all a friendly "hello" to everyone and a big thanks for your effort on OpenTTD!
I got my first version of TT by chris himself, signed and 2 month before release @ gamescon (?) cologne 199x, played
and loved it for several years and just by accident found out about this project a couple of weeks ago. Thank you so much
for keeping this great game alive and even improving it!!

After a few test-games i ran across A LOT of questions which the wikipage don't answer. Most of my problems are based on the
signal system and i guess (and hope) my biggest problem can be solved just by placing them the right way.

Following scenario:
a) a station next to a city (accepting goods) with a forest in coverage area
b) a station with double forests on the way to the sawmill
c) a station next to a sawmill

I'd like to pick up wood @ the city a), transfer it to station b) build as a 2-headed terminus station and ship both to station c) while
picking up goods @ c), transfer them to b) to be delivered to the city a).

My problem is the terminus station @ b). sometimes, when the exits of the trains going from a) - b) are blocked, they travel to c) just to
go back to b) and (with luck) follow their way back to a).

Didn't find out how to add screenshots, so i added it as files down below.

Is there a way to keep the trains on their correct path?

My second question is probably quickly answered with "No" :)
Is it possible to have trains deliver and pickup transfer goods on the same time?
considering the above scenario, are the following train-setups possible:

Train 1 (wagons: 4x goods, 4x wood) - travelling from a) to b) - purpose: picking up wood @ a), transfer it to b) while picking up goods and return them to a)

Train 2 (wagons: 4x goods, 4x wood) - travelling from b) to c) - purpose: picking up transfered and produced wood, deliver it to c), picking up goods to transfer to b) (which then will be picked up from train 1)

If i set up train 2 it picks up wood @ b) - delivers it to c) - picks up goods - transfers them back to b) - picks up wood as well as the previously delivered goods.

I hope, the desription is not too chaotic and you can help me at least with my first problem.

Thanks

Kai

Screenshot of station b)
Munnville Transport, 16th May 1957#1.png
GoldRush
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 2-headed Terminus Stations - Transfer/ Loading Stations

Post by GoldRush »

Have you tried playing with the PBS (Path-based Signals)? They are usually easier and better to use in almost all situations than the block signals and pre-signals.

Just place them where a train can stop in a certain direction and not cause a deadlock. Be mindful of the length of your trains and do not place PBS right after junctions. Pretty simple.

Unlike block signals and pre-signals, PBS (if used correctly) will have a very small chance (if at all) of causing a real deadlock.
Fastphil
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 2-headed Terminus Stations - Transfer/ Loading Stations

Post by Fastphil »

To make the trains use the correct line to return to their other station, you can also put a waypoint along the line between the two stations, then add the waypoint to the train's orders. The waypoint construction tool can be found in the railway construction menu next to the station tool.

As for setting up the trains for transfers, it's not something I do personally. Are you not able to make one wood train and one goods train and just route them accordingly? Transferring the goods at the intermediate station sems to be not worth the hassle if you can just route a goods train past or through station B and have it go directly from C to A.

Return to “General Transport Tycoon”