TTDPatch vs OpenTTD

General talk about Transport Tycoon that isn't specific to TTD, TTDPatch or OpenTTD.

Which do you prefer?

TTD Patch
10%
OTTD
90%

Total votes: 39

Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

TTDPatch vs OpenTTD

Post by Wasila »

I was wondering what the benefits of the Patch are. I understand that Patch is based directly off the original game while OpenTTD is a version that has been taken apart, reverse engineered then put back together again. What sort of features are there in the patch that aren't in OTTD?

Which language is the Patch programmed in? Is it not difficult to have to get used to an older language?

Wasila
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: TTDPatch vs OpenTTD

Post by Rubidium »

TTDpatch works in DOS, OpenTTD does not (you might get it to work in Dosbox though).
TTDpatch has custom bridgeheads and rail over tunnel entrances, OpenTTD does not.
TTDpatch has programmable signals, OpenTTD does not.
TTDpatch is written in C and x86 asm, OpenTTD in C++ (most of it C compiled as C++).

In other words, OpenTTD has stuff TTDpatch does not have and TTDpatch has stuff OpenTTD does not have.

I guess I leave it at that...because this is going to end up in a flamewar anyway.
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Why not just play them both and make up your own mind?
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

DosBox won't help you to run Windows games on DOS Systems. :)

The reason why I prefer OpenTTD is the great Multiplayer Support.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Programmable signals being speed limits etc?

Also I never understood - what exactly are custom bridgeheads?
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Programmable signals can be used instead of waypoints. You tell the signal it should be red unless the train is carrying coal, for example. Or the next stop in the train orders is not Huntingville. Etc. etc. The possibilities are endless. Makes it very easy to direct different trains to different platforms at a station.

I think Custom Bridgeheads means that you can have turns (and crossings?) on the entry/exit part of a bridge, if it is flat.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

AndersI wrote: Programmable signals can be used instead of waypoints. You tell the signal it should be red unless the train is carrying coal, for example.
Well, no. These are "restricted signals". They´re quite different from "programmable signals".

regards
Michael
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Wasila wrote:Also I never understood - what exactly are custom bridgeheads?
Custom bridgeheads are exactly what they sound like, custom bridge heads. You know the very start tile of a bridge? With TTDPatch, you can change that to go left/right, it is quite a space-saver.

(http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... ridgeHeads)
32Bpp-Pack
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 32Bpp-Pack »

^ Sounds handy :)
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

michael blunck wrote:Well, no. These are "restricted signals". They´re quite different from "programmable signals".
Thanks for the correction. I have obviously not seen the 'programmable signals' at all, so I thought the 'restricted' ones were meant. After reading the wiki page for programmable signals two times, I still don't see what use they have. Must be a sign of my age...
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

AndersI wrote:
michael blunck wrote:Well, no. These are "restricted signals". They´re quite different from "programmable signals".
Thanks for the correction. I have obviously not seen the 'programmable signals' at all, so I thought the 'restricted' ones were meant. After reading the wiki page for programmable signals two times, I still don't see what use they have. Must be a sign of my age...
One use is to make PBS presignal entrance signals always-red, so the restrictions on the PBS exit signals will actually work. If the restrictions are not based on any of the train properties, but just the fact that the train entered the block from a particular location, you can also program the signal to "red unless one of the valid platforms is available".

In non-PBS situations, you can make presignal entrance signals that require certain combinations of red/green exit signals before they turn green. For example, "Green if that particular exit is available or any two exits are available." Effectively, this reserves one particular exit (likely, a platform) for trains passing this signal, and requires that at least one exit (again, likely a platform) remain unused unless used by a train from a different block entrance.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Everything can be turned off in TTDPatch unlike OpenTTD. OpenTTD can not disable autorail and the landscaping toolbar.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Why would you want to disable autorail?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

You're feeling nostalgic?
You want [5] to attach itself to the fifth button, and you want that button to be dynamite?
Screen real-estate is precious?

Just because you can't figure out why anyone would want to turn something off does not mean that no one will ever want to turn it off.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “General Transport Tycoon”