Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:51 am 
Engineer
Engineer

I wasn't sure if you guys were aware but gamermasterhellish on YouTube has several series related to OpenTTD.

There is his tutorial series.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX9TPVcxrORP8EOLYBgnhzxK6VbncNil7

His Let's Play series, series 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26uYnIf ... B-2l-wDXUj

His Let's Play series, series 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avX3hAU ... kGpz7IsWth

His Let's Play series, series 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBieJT4 ... 7KCN62dzPi

His Let's Play series, series 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4En2LS ... ZYJKLZ0rLS

His Spotlight videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Mkm4j ... WxAXUT_h5O

There are several more playlist series he has and this is one of his series that he mostly updates.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:47 pm 
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

I prefer ZestHuskyPlays when it comes to OpenTTD videos however, he hasn't uploaded in almost a year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:06 am 
Engineer
Engineer

I looked at a couple of his and while they're similar in demonstration aspects but the saving factor for Master Hellish is that he has a continuing series and is very active and continues to plan to be active. :)

I'm definitely going to check out more of this ZestHusky though. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:14 pm 

This looks an awful lot like advertising, seeing as your email address is Master Hellish. Amirite? :mrgreen:

(Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91) 2016-06-23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:33 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

He's a friend of mine and I am sharing his work but if it's not okay to post here, then I'll be more than happy to take it down? I just thought it might be of use to some people on this forum specifically.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:35 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Also - to note - I am actually still learning how to play this game and he is the reason I have been able to. So I thought if he helped me why not see if he helps other people?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:04 am 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

I subbed grandmasterhellish a long time ago, really cool guy, I can just +1 his work.

he's not a friend of mine :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:46 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I thought Master Hellish already had an account here, anyhow? If so, he should use it more for advertisement. :)

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:16 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Is Hellish correct that ISR is not compatible with ZBase?

And if activated,does ISR replace all station options or just freight station options?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:52 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

As with most NewGRFs, ISR will replace the stations of the default base set.

If by "compatible", are you asking if they work together? Yes, there are no technical conflicts between the two.

If by "compatible", are you asking if they look nice together? Absolutely not. ISR is 8 bpp hand-drawn graphics, zBase is 32 bpp machine drawn graphics.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:26 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Do station NewGRFs replace anything at all? As far as I can tell they just add more stations to the default ones.

Also, I believe the game doesn't distinguish between freight stations and other kinds, the only differences are eye candy. Nothing stops you from using a freight station for PAX (although some stations that show the amount of cargo in transit might take notice).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:46 pm 
Chairman
Chairman

kamnet wrote:
As with most NewGRFs, ISR will replace the stations of the default base set.

If by "compatible", are you asking if they work together? Yes, there are no technical conflicts between the two.

If by "compatible", are you asking if they look nice together? Absolutely not. ISR is 8 bpp hand-drawn graphics, zBase is 32 bpp machine drawn graphics.

Actually ISR does not replace the default stations. It is possible for a station NewGRF to replace the default station graphics, but to my knowledge, no station set actually uses this option - certainly none that I have used. Generally, the amount of possible station types is not small enough to be worth overwriting the default types for most authors - people generally like having the default ones even if they rarely use them.

The two cases where could think it would be preferable to overwrite the default station would be 1) a small OGFX+ type NewGRF with the purpose of making a small incremental improvement to the default station (such as retaining the default sprites but adding waiting people or cargo etc), or, 2) a set that finds the default stations are simply far, far, to incongruous in style from other graphics added. (However, in that case, it is likely that the rest of the base set will also look out of place. I feel this is one reason why 32bpp NewGRF development has sort of stalled - without a matching base set, a NewGRF that looks too different appears sort of out of place)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:51 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

supermop wrote:
Actually ISR does not replace the default stations.

Now that I think about it, you're right! Shows you how often I use default stations. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:21 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Since,to this point,I have ONLY used default stations,I am cautious in augmenting and would rather not replace them.Hellish noted in the S4 intro that the ISR stations clashed with the zBase he usually used and therefore he was going with standard graphics,but I did switch to zBase a while ago because the 8bpp world looks painfully CGA-ish when zoomed in high resolution.

PikkaBird seems to have closed his pineapple farm after his crowdfunding effort fell short,is there no diverse station set in 32bpp?
It would be great to have OpenTTD look more like Mashinky.More ability to design one's stations and facilities would be a plus.