Master Hellish - OpenTTD series

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

InkyHellishBlue
Engineer
Engineer

Master Hellish - OpenTTD series

Post by InkyHellishBlue »

I wasn't sure if you guys were aware but gamermasterhellish on YouTube has several series related to OpenTTD.

There is his tutorial series.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... K6VbncNil7

His Let's Play series, series 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26uYnIf ... B-2l-wDXUj

His Let's Play series, series 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avX3hAU ... kGpz7IsWth

His Let's Play series, series 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBieJT4 ... 7KCN62dzPi

His Let's Play series, series 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4En2LS ... ZYJKLZ0rLS

His Spotlight videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Mkm4j ... WxAXUT_h5O

There are several more playlist series he has and this is one of his series that he mostly updates.
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Master Hellish - OpenTTD series

Post by Translink »

I prefer ZestHuskyPlays when it comes to OpenTTD videos however, he hasn't uploaded in almost a year.
InkyHellishBlue
Engineer
Engineer

I looked at a couple of his and while they're similar in demonstration aspects but the saving factor for Master Hellish is that he has a continuing series and is very active and continues to plan to be active. :)

I'm definitely going to check out more of this ZestHusky though. :)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

This looks an awful lot like advertising, seeing as your email address is Master Hellish. Amirite? :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
InkyHellishBlue
Engineer
Engineer

He's a friend of mine and I am sharing his work but if it's not okay to post here, then I'll be more than happy to take it down? I just thought it might be of use to some people on this forum specifically.
InkyHellishBlue
Engineer
Engineer

Also - to note - I am actually still learning how to play this game and he is the reason I have been able to. So I thought if he helped me why not see if he helps other people?
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

I subbed grandmasterhellish a long time ago, really cool guy, I can just +1 his work.

he's not a friend of mine :P
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I thought Master Hellish already had an account here, anyhow? If so, he should use it more for advertisement. :)
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Is Hellish correct that ISR is not compatible with ZBase?

And if activated,does ISR replace all station options or just freight station options?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

As with most NewGRFs, ISR will replace the stations of the default base set.

If by "compatible", are you asking if they work together? Yes, there are no technical conflicts between the two.

If by "compatible", are you asking if they look nice together? Absolutely not. ISR is 8 bpp hand-drawn graphics, zBase is 32 bpp machine drawn graphics.
lcd_47
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lcd_47 »

Do station NewGRFs replace anything at all? As far as I can tell they just add more stations to the default ones.

Also, I believe the game doesn't distinguish between freight stations and other kinds, the only differences are eye candy. Nothing stops you from using a freight station for PAX (although some stations that show the amount of cargo in transit might take notice).
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

kamnet wrote:As with most NewGRFs, ISR will replace the stations of the default base set.

If by "compatible", are you asking if they work together? Yes, there are no technical conflicts between the two.

If by "compatible", are you asking if they look nice together? Absolutely not. ISR is 8 bpp hand-drawn graphics, zBase is 32 bpp machine drawn graphics.
Actually ISR does not replace the default stations. It is possible for a station NewGRF to replace the default station graphics, but to my knowledge, no station set actually uses this option - certainly none that I have used. Generally, the amount of possible station types is not small enough to be worth overwriting the default types for most authors - people generally like having the default ones even if they rarely use them.

The two cases where could think it would be preferable to overwrite the default station would be 1) a small OGFX+ type NewGRF with the purpose of making a small incremental improvement to the default station (such as retaining the default sprites but adding waiting people or cargo etc), or, 2) a set that finds the default stations are simply far, far, to incongruous in style from other graphics added. (However, in that case, it is likely that the rest of the base set will also look out of place. I feel this is one reason why 32bpp NewGRF development has sort of stalled - without a matching base set, a NewGRF that looks too different appears sort of out of place)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

supermop wrote:Actually ISR does not replace the default stations.
Now that I think about it, you're right! Shows you how often I use default stations. ;)
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Since,to this point,I have ONLY used default stations,I am cautious in augmenting and would rather not replace them.Hellish noted in the S4 intro that the ISR stations clashed with the zBase he usually used and therefore he was going with standard graphics,but I did switch to zBase a while ago because the 8bpp world looks painfully CGA-ish when zoomed in high resolution.

PikkaBird seems to have closed his pineapple farm after his crowdfunding effort fell short,is there no diverse station set in 32bpp?
It would be great to have OpenTTD look more like Mashinky.More ability to design one's stations and facilities would be a plus.

Return to “General OpenTTD”