Unicode in 0.4.0 Savefiles? (Was: Unicode Font...)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Pipian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pipian »

Not too much progress on News font, though Cyrillic is now done. Hebrew is the last remaining major character set to be finished.
Pipian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pipian »

progress as slowed due to school work, but the large font is now complete.
Pipian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pipian »

The small font was also completed. Now that there is less school work again, progress on the patch should progress a little faster from here on out.
elomage
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elomage »

If GRF files are such a problem and limitation, why don't we introduce some simple cheesy bitmap files for character representation?
There could be one file that is mapping character codes with attributes (size) to pointers in a binary file, and the binary file would be a streem of bits, which does not even need to nbe compressed, if you want a fast implementation.

If you would like me to write a spec for this and some code for interface
and import/export to bitmap editors, let me know.

Unless we are in love with grf files. Which, by the way, could still hold the object graphics.

--Leo
--Leo (Latvian translation, Unicode investigation)
Pipian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pipian »

The plan is to use BDF files, a special bitmap font format that can be easily gzipped (due to its use of ASCII) for easy distribution of fonts.
raingrove
Engineer
Engineer

hey

Post by raingrove »

I could do the Korean translation. how's the progress on the Unicode support?
Pipian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pipian »

Haven't done anything lately :(

School and a accidentally deleted hard drive have been keeping me very busy. I'm quite aware of it still, and plan to return to it when I have time. The source code that I was working on was not deleted.

Also, some minor progress has been made on one minor Unicode related front: I submitted a patch to help prevent Unicode related crashes with save files on Mac OS X, which resulted in the introduction of OpenTTD-encoding to/from internal-Unicode-representation and UTF-8 to/from internal-Unicode-representation functions being added.
raingrove
Engineer
Engineer

Post by raingrove »

Can I have the source code you used to achieve this? I would like to see if there's anything I could do.
Attachments
chendhill_transport__11th_feb_1950-unicode_237.gif
chendhill_transport__11th_feb_1950-unicode_237.gif (87.81 KiB) Viewed 4610 times
raingrove
Engineer
Engineer

Post by raingrove »

actually, the work you have done so far as shown in the screen shot above is more than enough for me to carry out a translation for korean as well as other far eastern languages such as Chinese and Japanese.
Pipian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pipian »

I will gladly send you the BDF files that will (hopefully) be distributed with OpenTTD, so you know what characters are available.
raingrove
Engineer
Engineer

Post by raingrove »

can i have the diff patch if you dont mind?
Pipian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pipian »

Diff wouldn't be helpful, as the patch is incomplete.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”