Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Joubarbe
Engineer
Engineer

WASD for camera control?

Post by Joubarbe »

Hi there!

I play on laptop without any mouse, and it's very tedious to play in the current state of the game. There is an option to scroll when the mouse is on the edge of the screen, but it's buggy, as the UI is blocking the scrolling to happen. It would be great to have the good old WASD to control the camera. Please! :)

Thanks for all your work!
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: WASD for camera control?

Post by jfs »

Does your laptop not have arrow keys? :)
The reason WASD is popular is because they are convenient to use with your left hand while having your right hand on the mouse, but when you aren't using a mouse that isn't so much a thing.
OpenTTD does not come with WASD for camera movement by default because the game predates those keys being common for map scrolling in top-down games, and instead has always used the keys in that area for selecting various building tools. Have you tried getting used to holding the right mouse button to scroll around the map?

However it is possible to change the keybinds, though right now it requires editing a config file manually.
Joubarbe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Joubarbe »

Using arrow keys would mean trackpad on left hand, I'm right handed so it's not possible (mouse or trackpad on right hand, same problems). If WASD is popular that's for good reasons.

You can configure hotkeys manually, but the camera controls are not in that file. That would also be an option, to give the ability to remap the arrow keys. Maybe the easiest one.

And I want to emphasise again that the edge scrolling option does not work as intended (who would want the UI to block the scrolling?).
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

jfs wrote: 23 May 2024 14:05

However it is possible to change the keybinds, though right now it requires editing a config file manually.
It's not actually possible to change the movement keys in hotkeys.cfg last I checked

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”