I managed to run OTTD on just 128 MB ram.

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

justaplayer
Engineer
Engineer

I managed to run OTTD on just 128 MB ram.

Post by justaplayer »

A while ago, I tried running the OpenTTD on Archlinux, 300 MB of ram and a unicore cpu in qemu, I was successful, the only caveat was that since I had no Window Manager, The OS was unusable after I closed the game. But I actually didn't care abut that, I tried any lower than 300 MB of ram and the game would not start due to it not having enough memory, so I just gave up for a while.

A week ago I remembered that I tried OpenBSD and that it used less than 90 MB of ram.
I decided to first install OpenBSD on 4 GB ram then install a browser, download the source code compile it, and then lower the ram and emulate an older CPU.

Thats what I did and I decided to start with 256 MB Ram and an AMD Athlon 64 CPU as I know that the Athlon is kinda slow but supports 64 bit. When I saw that I was getting 100 FPS I decided lower the ram to 128 MB, The game would not start due to it not having enough memory, again. So I decided to compile JGRpp and that actually opened correctly on just 128 MB Ram.

I would like to complete this by saying that I tried making a mostly bus and train company and it worked fine, as a matter of fact here is an image of the FPS window:
Screenshot_2023-07-21_13-39-41.png
Screenshot_2023-07-21_13-39-41.png (99.42 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
[+] Spoiler
PS I tried get to work on 96 but the game would not work.
If you ever need to run the game on an late 1990s / early 2000s machine, just remember that you can!!
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: I managed to run OTTD on just 128 MB ram.

Post by peter1138 »

If you limit the maximum zoom in level to "Normal" instead of 4x you'll reduce the sprite cache requirement by 16x, and forcing the blitter to 8bpp-optimized will also help by around 4-5x.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
pickpacket
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pickpacket »

peter1138 wrote: 21 Jul 2023 13:22 If you limit the maximum zoom in level to "Normal" instead of 4x you'll reduce the sprite cache requirement by 16x, and forcing the blitter to 8bpp-optimized will also help by around 4-5x.
Will this also reduce load on CPU?
justaplayer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by justaplayer »

peter1138 wrote: 21 Jul 2023 13:22 If you limit the maximum zoom in level to "Normal" instead of 4x you'll reduce the sprite cache requirement by 16x, and forcing the blitter to 8bpp-optimized will also help by around 4-5x.
Thanks for the reccomendation. I changed the settings then tried to lower the RAM to 96 Megs, the game launched!! But it was unplayable as could barely move the cursor even on the menu.

This concludes that OpenTTD will run with as low as 96 MB, an AMD Athlon 64 and a weak VGA monitor but it is only playable with 128 MB of RAM with the same CPU and Monitor.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

would you believe that the original TT (without D) came with a system requirement of 4MB?
justaplayer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by justaplayer »

Eddi wrote: 25 Jul 2023 03:51 would you believe that the original TT (without D) came with a system requirement of 4MB?
Yes, obviously. Wasn't TT written in assembly to make sure that it was perfectly optimized?

While TT is lighter, you definetly miss out on many features, like being able to compile it anywhere and on anything.

Return to “General OpenTTD”